Manual Swap Complete

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MeinKreuz
In Neutral

Manual Swap Complete

Post by MeinKreuz »

Hey guys a few weeks ago I was asking about the auto to manual swap. I completed it in a weekend in a dirt driveway, on jack stands. Was very easy, I will say tho all the write ups were too full of little details and not full of the important details that you really need. Example: all the write ups I went to were very vague on how to correct the ECU from auto to manual, after getting schematics of the ecu it was really easy, consisted of sniping a wire. My swap was much easier then the write ups were. So, I am on here to see if anyone would like a write up on this. It would take quite a bit of time; but I'm willing to write it up in a simpler format, with the basics that you will need to do this swap if anyone is interested. I did my swap on a 93 legacy sport. Let me tell you, if you have an auto; SWAP IT. made the hugest difference in power, fun and drive-ability. I originally bought the car with a auto tranny that was shitting out and got lucky enough to find a transmission that match my rear diff. I run a 5 speed 3.90 rear and trans now and let me tell you I only use 5th on the highway cause it's geared so long. I will say one thing tho, I put a stage 3, 6 puck clutch in mine. Yes good for track and strip but next clutch is going to be a stage 2, cause the 6 puck grabs way to hard on the street. So if anyone wants to see a write up let me know, or if you have any questions about the swap feel free to ask away.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: Manual Swap Complete

Post by Alphius »

Did you use a cable clutch tranny or hydraulic? From what car?
MeinKreuz
In Neutral

Post by MeinKreuz »

I used a cable clutch trans out of a 97 legacy wagon. It's way easier to install, and I think you get a better feeling with the cable. I took the axles, shifter linkage, trans subframe, and flywheel all from the same car. after I took the driveshaft from trans to rear driveshaft from earlier model legacy wagon (auto trans) based on the size I needed (Pre-measured). Before the trip to the junk yard I cross referenced the trans so I wouldn't have to get a different diff.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I'd like to see a write up on this. I have a swap with the 4.11 diff. and I completely hate the gearing. Plus tranny syncros are getting a little weak so another swap will be coming in the future, but in my case I'll need a tranny and a 3.90 diff.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Do the write-up. I think this will become more common as the SS/TW's 4EAT fail and more people want to do this swap which is much cheaper than a rebuild.

I used the 'Streetlite' clutch on my swap and it worked well. I also thought the cable clutch gave better feel.

I didn't think Legacy777's write-up was vague and I find wiring issues challenging.

Thanks,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

MeinKruz, is it a sprung- or solid hub clutch disc?

Caveman, Whats not to like about shorter gearing? Shorter gears = faster acceleration.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Shorter gears = higher revs on the freeway and lower fuel economy, which to many people is more important than closer 1-4 in a car that's already got abundant torque. Particularly if it's a daily driver. If it's a weekend car, then I'd have to concur with you though. :D
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Well being it is a daily driver, 1st gear is pointless and 4000 rpms in 5th @ 82 mph, give or take, is just ridiculous. My top end sux. I can get to bout 126-130 mph and that's it, just dies from there, but I do like how quick it gets there. I think the 3.90 is a good match. I will agree though, if it was a weekend or rally car, the 4.11 would prob. be ideal.
-The only thing I do like about the 4.11 is, punching it in 5th at 75 mph is nice, cause your in your powerband... you don't have to downshift. But you quickly run out of rpms.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Even with a stock 3.90 turbo trans 1st is pretty useless. Maybe on stock boost it would be nice but all 1st does for me is spin a tire or two, feel like something is gonna break then it's over about .9 seconds later. :-) I wish first was a little taller so there was a little less gap between first and second.

And I can build 18psi at 2500RPM so 65+ in 5th gets me crazy torque too. :) It still accelerates faster if I downshift though.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I do mention the ECU AT/MT pin in my write-up
http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/el ... l.html#ecu
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm