Another stupid (hopefully) transmission problem I'm having

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Another stupid (hopefully) transmission problem I'm having

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

So basically what's happening is the car will be cruising just fine and will even shift into 4th once my speed is fast enough and cruise below 2500rpm's. However, after a few seconds, the car downshifts itself back into 3rd and the RPM's shoot up to 3000. To maintain freeway speeds (65mph) the RPM'S are pushing into the 4000's. My speedometer does "click" and wobble a little bit (still) but is still very much accurate with my speed so I could see that as being a probable cause. Although I couldn't see the car shifting into 4th if that was the problem.
I've read a few things from: the car being in limp mode, perhaps the cable adjustment is a little off, or the 4th gear is pretty much just shot.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Another stupid (hopefully) transmission problem I'm havi

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Check the cable from the speedo to the trans - for the VSS. Where it screws into the trans can be an issue - I've read/seen a handful break -where the tab sticks out. Yours will have the cable that screws/clips in where the wiring is on this pic:

If that's bad, the ECU isn't getting a reliable speed from the VSS, so goes into limp mode. I'm not sure if you'd get a CEL or not, but does your POWER light on the dash blink @ you when you turn it on?

I'd check for Stored Codes in the Trans using THIS LINK.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

Hmmm. My legacy has a speedometer cable with a plug in that is similar to that but I can't locate the vss on my 1990. Is it near the rear perhaps?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

There are actually 2, I believe. The one I'm referring to is very near the Diff oil tube on the Passenger side.
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

The speedo cable goes from the transmission to the gauge cluster, then the ECU gets it's VSS reading from the cluster.

The Subaru 4EAT actually locks 4th out if the tranny temp drops too low if I remember correctly. Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler? Does the power light flash 16 times when you start the car?
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

OK, so I pulled the code and I got code 32 or Vehicle Speed Sensor 1. The only thing I could find next to the dipstick was this in the photo. But that's not a sensor. That is just where the speedo cable plugs into the transmission. So is the VSS #1 in the actual cluster itself? If so, what does it look like? Also, would a VSS being out cause this symptom in my tranny? (I'm PRAYING YES)

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI, That IS the VSS#2 (the 'sensor' is in the cluster, but that is the source of its signal). I think you have to replace the cluster to fix it if it's the actual sensor, but the issue is usually due to the where the cable connects to the trans.

VSS#1 is in the back of the trans, IIRC. You can get to it w/out removing the trans, but it's a PITA. But better than a new trans.

Type/paste this into Google: subaru transmission vss

Then choose IMAGES and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, a bad VSS 1 or 2 would cause your issues, IMHO.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

AWESOME! Good to know. I'll check that out asap. Also, does anyone have the Part # for the VSS #1? I've downloaded the parts catalog and have sifted through that and could not find it. I also checked out subaruparts.com and it gives me like 6 difference "speed sensors".
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

Okay, well I'm gonna pull a few from my local junkyard and hope one of them will work. Does FWD vs AWD matter? Or are they interchangeable? I know their location is different so I just want to make sure. Thanks!!!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI,
Read my POST on the USMB from a few years back when fixing an issue on my '96 Legacy (forgot about this 'til I found it today).

The VSS1 (read the links in my post) reads the rear wheel's speed...so FWD probably don't have the VSS1, if that makes sense.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

Ya this is where I'm extremely confused/frustrated with this car. It's fwd. it throws code vss 1. My Haynes only says its located on the trans axle near the axle spline. I checked and see nothing by the spline. The closest thing to it is the speedo cable plug-in into the trans (which from what I'm understanding is part of vss2) but even my book says nothing about a second vss. So would I assume that the vss2 in an awd WOULD BE the vss1 in a fwd?
SaltyBeefCubes
First Gear

Post by SaltyBeefCubes »

Figured it out. I guess VSS#1 on a FWD is the VSS #2 on an AWD. The speedo cable was tweaked. I went to a junkyard and pulled one and put it in and the VSS code went away and the transmission shifts fine now. What a pain in the ass.