86 Subaru Leone

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: 1986 Subaru GL-10 Leone TURBO

Post by beatersubi »

S Webster wrote:Boy NICO, that set up is lookin' TITS. (I guess that's old school slang for "sick") Keep up the good work. Steve.
Haha. Tits never get old. And this car is, most definitely, Tits.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nico,

Do you have two of those oil coolers? That is pretty sweet!
NICO wrote:Yes that is a volvo I don't no what model my father is working on that and the Brit car as well. Same owner for both those cars
I thought that looked like a Brit sports car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It's a P1800 with an aftermarket grille. The bodies for the first ones were actually built in the UK by Jensen, so you're inadvertently not too far off, Josh. I'm a huge fan of the P1800ES (wagon version). The record holder for a car with the most mileage is a P1800. However, that comes at the price of being slow.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ that's a crazy fact the most ks ever holy cow

Legacy777 wrote:Nico,

Do you have two of those oil coolers? That is pretty sweet!
Yes and I don't even know what to do with them trying to sell them. My dad is so not having me put it on lol says he's seen so man oil leaks because of hose braking. I was going to do it on my legacy because I had a bit more room up front this gl-10 has no room even for a fmic

Also I have a brand new OEM hood for the gl-10, I don't know if I should put the big scoop on it or cut it and fold down vents up front to let the air out near the rad.. I kind of am thinking the front vent
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

If you can build a shroud for the front vent to the radiator(s), it should help cooling and increase aero efficiency. The area after the leading edge of the hood is a low pressure zone, the front is high pressure. As the speed of the air increases over the vent it helps draw air through the radiators more efficiently than a fan pulling air into a turbulent engine compartment. Ideally, you'd also want to instal flat panels under the engine compartment area to reduce undercarriage-engine compartment drag (in general, somewhere between 10 and 15% of the total drag, I forget which). It also looks cool. The down side is that the more efficient air flow is very good at putting coolant on your windshield if radiator blows out.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nico,

Yeah that'd be a concern of mine too....having a hose break and leak oil.

Regarding the first pic with the vents. On the rally cars, they have a modified exchanger setup where the radiator and intercooler hot air typically exit through that vent on the hood. The hood scoop is actually the air intake for the motor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

evolutionmovement wrote:If you can build a shroud for the front vent to the radiator(s), it should help cooling and increase aero efficiency. The area after the leading edge of the hood is a low pressure zone, the front is high pressure. As the speed of the air increases over the vent it helps draw air through the radiators more efficiently than a fan pulling air into a turbulent engine compartment. Ideally, you'd also want to instal flat panels under the engine compartment area to reduce undercarriage-engine compartment drag (in general, somewhere between 10 and 15% of the total drag, I forget which). It also looks cool. The down side is that the more efficient air flow is very good at putting coolant on your windshield if radiator blows out.
ok so i want to cut a vent in the front of the hood where the rad sits ? thats the best spot right ?

Legacy777 wrote:Nico,

Yeah that'd be a concern of mine too....having a hose break and leak oil.

Regarding the first pic with the vents. On the rally cars, they have a modified exchanger setup where the radiator and intercooler hot air typically exit through that vent on the hood. The hood scoop is actually the air intake for the motor.
well now i am in for it the factory ej22t oil cooler does not work well with the twin scroll headers so i kind amd going to use the spec c version 8 oil cooler, i'm going to be so paranoide now with it but ill keep a eye on everything. im not driving the car everyday just race day really and sunaday drive.

also so i just got this hood in what should i put on it ? what type of vents ? side ones or scoop it or cut it and make vents up the middle

some thing like this and a scoop ?

also got the sti key to work, i went to home depot cut the key and it worked perfect
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

More like the rally car. Those BMW vents look more for general heat extraction. You'll be restricted by design for how you'll have to make the vent, but you want it behind the radiator, perhaps with a lip sticking up slightly along the leading edge, but at the rear of the vent you want it to go inwards towards the radiator. On the back of the radiator, you want a shroud that reaches up to meet the hood vent, angled towards the back of the car as best as possible with the engine and crap in the way. If you looked at the side of radiator, the shroud would be off the back something like this: |/ so that the air has the easiest time going out through the hood. That one on the rally car is too far back for what you'll be able to manage. You want the area of the opening to match the area of the cooling system as much as possible, so yours would be wider, but not extend as far back since your engine isn't dry sumped and built into a custom chassis where you could get the engine low enough to allow it.

To the best of my knowledge, I have the details right, but you might want to look into the part about the area of the extraction vent vs. the radiator to confirm. I've been kind of purging car knowledge from my brain these last few years if they don't apply to my own designs and there have also been some collateral damage. My brain is also lazier in remembering things thanks to the ease of Google.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

evolutionmovement wrote:More like the rally car. Those BMW vents look more for general heat extraction. You'll be restricted by design for how you'll have to make the vent, but you want it behind the radiator, perhaps with a lip sticking up slightly along the leading edge, but at the rear of the vent you want it to go inwards towards the radiator. On the back of the radiator, you want a shroud that reaches up to meet the hood vent, angled towards the back of the car as best as possible with the engine and crap in the way. If you looked at the side of radiator, the shroud would be off the back something like this: |/ so that the air has the easiest time going out through the hood. That one on the rally car is too far back for what you'll be able to manage. You want the area of the opening to match the area of the cooling system as much as possible, so yours would be wider, but not extend as far back since your engine isn't dry sumped and built into a custom chassis where you could get the engine low enough to allow it.

To the best of my knowledge, I have the details right, but you might want to look into the part about the area of the extraction vent vs. the radiator to confirm. I've been kind of purging car knowledge from my brain these last few years if they don't apply to my own designs and there have also been some collateral damage. My brain is also lazier in remembering things thanks to the ease of Google.
wow thats crazy what i got to do, there is all most no room for rad fans when i drop this motor in !

what you think of these http://trueforgedwheels.com/#/content/p ... ts/TF1.jpg

cut two holes and add them on the sides or right in the middle if they are not that big
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You want something more like an Evo, but I agree that even on the Legacy there's very little room for a shroud, which is why I'd like to do one, but probably won't. I imagine space is even tighter on the Loyale/GL. I suppose you might get part of the effect with those vents—or any vents—to help extract hot air, but without the shroud, it likely won't do a lot. Those particular vents are far more cosmetic in that they're small, have grille work that has a large proportion solid material, and I'm not sure the effect of the vanes in it, but they also reduce the open area. In any event, you want to locate them pretty much just behind the radiator where the low pressure zone is greatest and it can help extract the hot air. The further back you go, the more the airflow is going to be reattaching to the hood. Of course, this is all just working off my very rudimentary aerodynamics knowledge, but none of us has access to a wind tunnel or even CFD software.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

evolutionmovement wrote:You want something more like an Evo, but I agree that even on the Legacy there's very little room for a shroud, which is why I'd like to do one, but probably won't. I imagine space is even tighter on the Loyale/GL. I suppose you might get part of the effect with those vents—or any vents—to help extract hot air, but without the shroud, it likely won't do a lot. Those particular vents are far more cosmetic in that they're small, have grille work that has a large proportion solid material, and I'm not sure the effect of the vanes in it, but they also reduce the open area. In any event, you want to locate them pretty much just behind the radiator where the low pressure zone is greatest and it can help extract the hot air. The further back you go, the more the airflow is going to be reattaching to the hood. Of course, this is all just working off my very rudimentary aerodynamics knowledge, but none of us has access to a wind tunnel or even CFD software.

Omg I seen the one on the evo but I need to measure it, this hood has that bump it's making it hard for me to put anything flat on it :(
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You can cut across the bump. Or maybe do a 3-part vent divided by the sides of the bump?
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

nico, ive said it before and i'll say it again.

you crazy.

i love it!
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

evolutionmovement wrote:You can cut across the bump. Or maybe do a 3-part vent divided by the sides of the bump?
I was thinking in the inner part and stop at the bump and fold it down one cut ? That way it has a little lift like how you said to.

crisco wrote:nico, ive said it before and i'll say it again.

you crazy.

i love it!
Lol thanks man, I grew up around all these crazy car stuff with my dad so I guess if it was not my brother it's me :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

NICO wrote:well now i am in for it the factory ej22t oil cooler does not work well with the twin scroll headers so i kind amd going to use the spec c version 8 oil cooler, i'm going to be so paranoide now with it but ill keep a eye on everything. im not driving the car everyday just race day really and sunaday drive.

Well I'd use braided SS lines with Aeroquip fittings if possible.

If you're running a stand alone, put a warning or even an engine shutdown if the oil pressure drops below a certain point.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Of course, this is all just working off my very rudimentary aerodynamics knowledge, but none of us has access to a wind tunnel or even CFD software.
We may not have access to a wind tunnel, but NICO could do a "tuft" test.

Something like this http://youtu.be/_JwXdkjiMVw
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, he could. There might even be one on youtube already.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Legacy777 wrote:
NICO wrote:well now i am in for it the factory ej22t oil cooler does not work well with the twin scroll headers so i kind amd going to use the spec c version 8 oil cooler, i'm going to be so paranoide now with it but ill keep a eye on everything. im not driving the car everyday just race day really and sunaday drive.

Well I'd use braided SS lines with Aeroquip fittings if possible.

If you're running a stand alone, put a warning or even an engine shutdown if the oil pressure drops below a certain point.

ya thats a good idea just googled those going to look around for some very strong hose and adapters
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Exedy twin plate HD is ready for the power

HSD coilovers are here with extra rear mounts

Tial BJ VALVE

next up is intercooler ????.... oil cooler , oem rad, andddddd i forget !
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

The Subaru Gods said Let there be ROCK ! AC/DC DC/AC DCCD control :cool: !!!

SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

freaking clean, What was there before?
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:freaking clean, What was there before?
there was just empty blue caps, i popped them of and slid those dccd plugs in.

maybe just maybe it might work ! but i dont like it !

found my DD car soon to be a nice EG33 swaped DD car in the future after the gl-10 build
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

DD for how long?
That scoop doesn't fit that hood or car.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Hell yea to the EG33 swap. Can't wait to get mine done... Those are a sweet pair of cars you have there.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^ ya should be a fun car
beatersubi wrote:DD for how long?
That scoop doesn't fit that hood or car.
LOL for a year till next summer then a swap right away

factory gl-10 flares

well well well look what has the same shape as the gl-10 !!! do i see 245 45 16 in the future ?

also a sneak peek at my military grade aviation 1 plug engine harness plug which connects my subaru tecnico international built EJ22T motor to the V88 ViPEC ECU. Costume made by Franz diebold @ diebold autosport