AWD is on all the time I think got torque bind

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

the94subaru
First Gear

AWD is on all the time I think got torque bind

Post by the94subaru »

Hi I just swapped in a newer 4eat into my 94 SS and it shifts really good but I noticed it seemed like there was some binding going on. when I turn at slow speeds you can really feel it. I think my AWD is engaged all the time when I tried to put the fuse in to turn it off my car didn't shift at all it just revs and doesn't go into any gear this is very strange and wanted to know if anyone had any similar problems. I've stopped driving the car because I don't want to screw up anything if it is locked into full AWD thank you for your help.
Last edited by the94subaru on Mon May 21, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: AWD is on all the time I think

Post by kimokalihi »

Awd is always on all the time. The power is split differently between front and rear depending on gear I think. Sounds like you have torque bind though.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

did you male sure your new tranny has the same ratio as your old one
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

yeah it's the same ratio it was from a 92 SS. What can I do to get rid of the torque bind and why when I put a fuse in does it not want to shift at all that's what is puzzling me the most.
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

do I have to put my differential in from my old transmission to get rid of torque bind what about my old duty solenoid c. AWD worked great on my old transmission no issues let me know what I can do to get this fixed I'm not shy at tearing the tranny out either I've had it out a few times.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've never had torque bind so I don't know what causes it or what fixes it but others on here do. I don't know if its just the center diff or the duty c solenoid but something will need replacing.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: AWD is on all the time I think got torque bind

Post by SILINC3R »

Yea kimo I believe I have seen posts on this and it is the solenoid. Mine does it sometimes too.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

my torque bind isn't intermittent it's all the time and the weirdest part is I can't even trick it by putting the fuse in. I put the fuse in and the FWD light comes on and it seems like it's not in AWD but then the transmission doesn't shift at all it has me so confused. I thought it was the fuse I was using all I had was a 35 amp fuse but I tried a 15 amp today and the same thing it won't shift at all, has this happened to anyone else. Also my speedometer is currently not working the cable in the dash came out when I was moving the transmission around I haven't torn it apart to put it back together yet haven't had time it isn't fun I've had to do it before. Anyways do you think this has something to do with it I wouldn't think so.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Beats me but before you go ahead with diagnosing it replace the cable. Not having the vss reading cause a lot of problems.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yes, VSS reading is very important to the ECU and TCU.

Do you get 16 flashes of the power light when you start the car?
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

no the light doesn't blink and it does work I have the power mode switch mod and power mode works. I do get a CEL when I feel binding but it could also be a light for no speed reading I just haven't had time to tear the dash apart and check the code. I will today though before work when I'm fixing the speedo cable.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah before you tear anything apart check the trouble codes and replace the cable and see if that fixes it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok.....just to clarify, you swapped in a 92SS auto trans into your 94SS auto? Is that correct?

Did you happen to notice if the wiring harness looked ok on the transmission? It sounds like you've got a wiring issue, and since it wasn't there before you swapped the transmission, to me it would suggest that it's the new transmission.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

Yeah it was from a 92 and mine is a 94 I thought that 92-94's were interchangeable? I'll have to check them but I thought they were compatible so I didn't even look, the connectors all connected fine. I still didn't get a chance to hook my speedometer cable and see if that helps any. I have a two year old and he is with me every other weekend so maybe tonight when is mom comes to get him I'll have some time. Could it be possible that duty solenoid C was bad in the 92 that's why the car was in the bone yard in the first place. like I said it shifts great it just binds, the car wasn't wrecked but the price was cheap and the miles were low so I thought I would take a chance on it since SS automatics aren't just laying around. I haven't priced the solenoid but I can imagine how much it would be from Subaru so I might just try putting the one in from my old one and see what happens also drop the pan and check the wiring and make sure one of the wires isn't broke or disconnected. Something seems very wrong because of it not shifting at all when the fuse is in.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 92-94's should be interchangable. Here's the diagnostic check for the duty c solenoid. Check its resistance and see how it compares.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... _diag1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... _diag2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

Update: I got my speedometer cable to work and then put the fuse in for FWD and bingo it works now so if anyone else has this problem the transmission won't shift if you have the fuse in unless you have a speed signal. the torque bind is still there but at least I can put the fuse in and get away from it for a little while. I was trying to check what codes where stored in my transmission and I followed the procedure on here but all I get is the power light blinking non stop with no pauses does this mean there are no faults? I was trying to see if I would get the duty solenoid c fault because I think that's what's wrong with mine. My check engine light is on so I checked those codes and got 5 of them 21,22,31,33,35. Some of these might be from the swap so I tried clearing them by hooking up the diagnostics cables and doing that whole thing, my light blinked but they were all still there so I have my battery unhooked currently to get rid of them that way.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good to hear the speedo cable fixed the shifting issue. If the power light blinks continuously, then there are no codes stored in the TCU.

Based on some history for these cars, if the connectors & the battery method do not clear the codes, you need to probably test/replace the canister purge solenoid (code 35), then try and clear the codes again with the connectors.

Regarding the torque bind, it sounds like the issue is with the clutch packs, and not the solenoid. If you can put the fuse in and the torque bind goes away, the duty c solenoid is working properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

It shifts great with no slipping, which clutches need replaced? I'm pretty sure something is wrong within that tail section of that tranny. what clutches are in there are they for reverse if so that works fine to. Let me know what you think I really don't want to overhaul that trans it works great besides the binding issue.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The tail section has the clutches for the duty c solenoid which handles the AWD. I believe the rear tail housing can be removed and you can get to everything you need to do. Here's a blow up which shows the rear transfer housing.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... blowup.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

ok thank you, whenever I have some free time I guess I'll swap out that tail section for the one in my old tranny because it didn't bind should I put a new solenoid c in it or just go for broke with the old stuff. do you have a link to where you can order the solenoid or is it unbelievably expensive? Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Again, I don't think the issue is with the duty c solenoid because when the fuse is in, the binding goes away. If the solenoid was bad, the binding would not go away.

I would recommend just swapping the output shaft with clutch assemblies. Should be pretty easy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

just figured I would replace it while I was there if it wasn't to expensive.
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

I swapped out the AWD clutches from my old trans and still got binding I should have swapped the whole tail section but I didn't have a gasket the one on the binding section was still intact so I just swapped the clutches and used the same tail section. I think I want to try using the other one now because I had no problems with old trans having binding if that doesn't work I don't know what to try next. Does anyone know the part number and the site I can get the gasket for the tail section to the trans? I looked at every subaru parts site and it doesn't seem to be listed I know it's available just can't seem to find it appreciate any help thank you.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can d/l the entire parts book from me:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... og_-_FULL/

and get the part # for the gasket.

You can buy the gasket from a local subaru dealership or from one of the online dealers. www.subarugenuineparts.com www.1stsubaruparts.com www.subaruparts.com
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

alright thank you I have a subaru dealership in my town so should be no problem just wanted a part number so I could go in and get it hassle free