91 legacy wagon easily convert to FWD?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lunchm3at
In Neutral

91 legacy wagon easily convert to FWD?

Post by lunchm3at »

Ok.. so this car is a beater and I just want to run it as long as possible without putting much time or $ into it.

Intermittent TB issues with fuse in or out.
Intermittent "Limp Home" mode.. seems to fix itself after a few blocks of driving
When the TB is acting up it will lurch when shutting it off.. even in park
Plenty of howling noise seeming to come from the rear end.

Ive read alot of posts here and elsewhere but nothing specific about if what id like to do is possible.

I feel like removing the rear driveline will "fix" my issues and let me drive probelm free for a few thousand more miles.

So my questions...
1. Does my 91 Legacy wagon have a 2 part driveshaft?
2. If it does can I pull the rear section out easily and leave the front section intact to keep the trans sealed?
3. How difficult/time consuming is it remove the rear drive axles? Should I do this?

Removing those 3 parts seems to... in my mind anyway remove drag and the TB issues.

Am I missing anything? Will removing this stuff cause the computer to just freak and always run in "Limp Home"?

Again.. Im not interested in spending $ on this to fix it.. It really very rough.. plenty of rust through, etc.

Any help is appreciated.
daveh
In Neutral

Re: 91 legacy wagon easily convert to FWD?

Post by daveh »

TB?
1. Probably, just bend down and take a look?
2.You can remove the rear section at the u joint, but I doubt the hanger would support the front half enough to keep it in the transmission.
3. It will take you a few hours to remove the rear axles, but you have to split them apart and put the outer cups back in to hold the hubs and bearings in place.
4. You didn't have a 4th question, but I'd like to guess that the howling noise from the rear is a very common worn out hub bearing.
99 Outback
92 Legacy Turbo 5 speed
lunchm3at
In Neutral

Post by lunchm3at »

TB= Torque Bind
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

91 was the cross over year between the CV style driveline and the u-joint style driveline. So you'll have to look under there and see

Even if you remove the driveline, I think the TCU is going to throw a fit because the driveline won't be spinning at the same speed as the front part of the trans and it's going to try and lock up the duty c solenoid. Depending on what kind of fail safes are built in, it may freak out.

Personally, I'd try replace the duty c solenoid in the rear tail housing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Have you tried just running with the FWD fuse in place? These cars are 100% FWD with it plugged in, removing the driveline seems excessive.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, if you unplug the C solenoid all together it should lock the transfer unit and then you can take out the driveline. It shouldn't throw any codes since it measures rear wheel speed from inside the trans and not at the differential or driveline. Just leave the axles in place to make your life easier.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.