05 STi hood scoop on our cars

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

STi Hood Scoop on our cars, Goofy or Nifty

Goofy
44%
Nifty
21%
POOP!!!
36%

Total votes: 39

LegacyPunk
Second Gear

05 STi hood scoop on our cars

Post by LegacyPunk »

Tempting cause of how much air it can swallow...But im not sure how it would look.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Is there anyone out there that has done this so we can see some pics?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Looks ridiculous on an STi and will look even more so on a Legacy...
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I voted goofy because I think it would look a bit...well, goofy. If I saw a pic of one installed maybe I'd reconsider though.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
magnux
First Gear

Post by magnux »

Well, it would be too much without balance. However, that's a catch 22. In order to balance, you would need an STi wing on the rear so the front doesn't seem 'out of place'.

However, the STi wing in and of itself looks ridiculous.. to each their own, though.
MY93 EJ22T @ +1BAR
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Peter Stevens said that the STI scoop wasn't supposed to look like that - it's an unfinalized design that made production as the meeting to finalize its shape never took place due to 9/11. He said it looks bad and creates too much drag. The rally car has the style he wanted on the road car (FMIC on the rally car not withstanding).

So for whatever it's worth, the designer didn't like the design.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah....would look like poop!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

steve where do ytou get all your info :) You're a veritable subaru encylopedia.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

it doesnt look too good...

here's one with an 04-05 WRX scoop i think
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

[sucking air through teeth] Yeah, not so nice.

Hardy - I read about $50 worth of car magazines a month (I've cut back) so that's where it comes from. I actually made a productive thing out of it, though, by reading while on the stationary bike.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Pacman
In Neutral

STI Hood scoop

Post by Pacman »

i don't think anyone would really like the big hood scoop on a legacy. When i bought my sti and drove it i finally realized how big that damn thing is you can not see the passenger front end at all and you get used to it after a week or so of driving. As for the wing on the back on interstate with my dad in his jetta behind i could see his grill and top of the jetta but the entire winsheild area was gone ( still gettting use to the wing sometimes). If someone did it right and somehow made it look even as in front to back it might look good on a legacy but i wouldn't put the STI hood scoop on my 90 legacy.
2004 AWD 6-spd STI- Mine
1990 AWD 5 spd Legacy L SDN- Mine
1992 AWD SVX- Brother
1992 AWD SVX- Dad
2003 AWD Legacy H-6 Outback SDN- Mom
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I'm going to try fabbing up a scoop that doesn't look like that, but gets MUCH better flow over the i/c (that I haven't installed yet.....).
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

cool beans steve

The problem with new age scoops is they don't flow with the lines of the car. Our cars are pretty flat and boxy, whereas newer imprezas are very round and shapely, so while the sti scoop doesn't look all that bad (though I still think it's hideous) on an impreza it looks completely terrible on our legacy's

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

...well how the hell else are we supposed to get decent airflow over a TMIC?!

The WRX scoop isnt too much larger than our tiny Legacy scoops. I think I'm going to have to go with "yeah it may look funny but my intercooler works better" argument. I'm still getting one.

Edit: I am NOT, by the way, getting a wing. I have a sunroof that, when angled up, provides plenty of downforce just where I need it - right in the center of the car. The wings are just ridiculous.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

fabricate your own scoop if you need that much more airflow. If the wrx scoop isn't much larger why waste your time modifiying it to fit?

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I'm not skilled in fabrication. I didnt say I was going to modify my hood to accept the WRX scoop, I said I was going to modify my hood to accept the STi scoop. Theres a big airflow difference there.

When I said, "The WRX scoop isnt too much larger than our tiny Legacy scoops. I think I'm going to have to go with "yeah it may look funny but my intercooler works better" argument. I'm still getting one." - I was referring to the topic of this thread, the STi scoop. The reason I mentioned the WRX scoop not being too much larger than our stock scoop is because that is the other alternative to get more airflow without fabrication.

I dont know, I suppose my posts just dont make much sense if I have to explain them all the time. Makes perfect sense to me if I read the entire post from start to finish....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Cool. my crazy friend with a TSi thinks it would look good, but I like the rounder ones. I have a 02+ STi replica scoop on now. I like how the hood scoop on the STi's , but after seing a pic of a legacy with one....ugghh.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

What about an 04+ WRX scoop? I agree that the 04+ STI scoop looks very odd on the hood, but the smaller WRX one might look a little better.
luksicman1
In Neutral

Re: 05 STi hood scoop on our cars

Post by luksicman1 »

can also look into a 90's jdm sti hoodscoop, I have seen a couple euro legacys with this mod and it looks really clean, the jdm early sti hood scoop is a bit taller than the wrx one and really fits the shape of the legacys pretty well with its rounded curves..
luksicman1
In Neutral

Post by luksicman1 »

this is my legacy sti
luksicman1
In Neutral

Post by luksicman1 »

this is what I want my legacy sti to look like, the front hood at least...
and I can't get the photo to upload damnit, but I will try to get a pic to show the jdm sti early hood scoop was pretty much perfect
martimus919
First Gear

Post by martimus919 »

05 STi hood scoops look awful on their own bodies! You really do need a massive spoiler to compliment the abnormal growth (hood scoop) on our cars which makes them look even worse. I like the the look of the 06-07 WRX/STi scoop with the Skyline spoiler on the SS (best looking bolt on scoop in my opinion)
07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.
LegacyW90
In Neutral

Post by LegacyW90 »

I actually saw a second gen leggy sedan with the 04-05 hood scoop mounted to the hood at the Seattle golden gardens stancewars this year and it actually didn't look bad, the guy molded it to the hood so it wasn't detachable but still it looked good. I wouldn't do it to my first gen by any means but his car looked good, I didn't get a picture though, I'll see if I can find a picture of it though.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

My tleg came with a carbon fiber one and I took it off the first day...

LegacyW90
In Neutral

Post by LegacyW90 »

in my personal opinion I think the only hoodscoop to look good on these cars would be the 08-10 sti if you could make them fit correctly and would take a lot of work but it would be worth trying. And the scop I want to do on my car is the 06-07 sti hood scoop just because it isn't huge and gawdy like the 04-05 sti one is on our cars.