SS w/4EAT Park not engaging?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

monkeyposeur
First Gear

SS w/4EAT Park not engaging?

Post by monkeyposeur »

When I put the SS w/4EAT in Park and pull up on the parking brake lever it will sometimes roll if the car is on the slightest of inclines. The rolling is accompanied with a noise that sounds like something is trying to catch (ca cunk ca cunk) but isn't.

I recently replaced the inhibitor switch because it was throwing a neutral inhibitor switch CEL (code 51). CEL is now gone. The orange shifter indicator lines up correctly and the gear selector lights up in the dash correctly. I still have the original switch and it seemed to be functioning normally aside from throwing a CEL.

Perhaps I need to readjust the neutral inhibitor switch. I have done this already but maybe I need to do it again. If it was an N/A this would fairly simple, but the downpipe needs to be removed to gain access so it is a bit of a pain in the ass to do so. I've already done it twice.

On the other hand, shouldn't the e-brake be sufficient to hold the car in place even if the Park doesn't engage properly? Maybe that needs to be worked on.

Thanks for looking.
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SS w/4EAT Park not engaging?

Post by Legacy777 »

It sounds like the lever isn't making it all the way to park inside the transmission and the parking prawl is not engaging all the way. You could try adjusting the inhibitor switch ever so slightly forwards towards park. If that doesn't help, there's something going on inside the trans.

As for the parking brakes, they should hold the car. They may need to be adjusted. There is a rubber cover on the back side of the brake backing plate. You remove that and stick a screwdriver in there to turn the wheel that spreads the pads apart and adds tension. You can also pull the rotors off and do the same thing if you want.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Re: SS w/4EAT Park not engaging?

Post by monkeyposeur »

Thanks Legacy777!
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp