Release bearing diagnosis

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Release bearing diagnosis

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I am facing the decision of buying and installing a new clutch release bearing or re-using one from a previous car.

I do not 100% remember the history of this release bearing, but I believe it was on my 1992 Legacy SS when I acquired it, was kept during a clutch replacement and has been in service for many many miles, if not forever.

My Haynes manual indicates that the release bearing should be tested by 'pushing on it while turning it'.

If I rotate the bearing while compressing it on it's face and back, it turns smoothly and silently.

I gave it a wipe down with a rag, and after that pink grease squished out of the center during movement. This makes me think that some of the grease inside the sealed unit is still fresh.

But,

If I push on the cylinder laterally, it has about 1/8th inch of movement, as seen here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBN2-wl ... ature=plcp

So I am not sure if the Haynes diagnosis means pushing the bearing together, to compress it linearly, or pushing it laterally to check for side to side motion.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
mike-tracy

Re: Release bearing diagnosis

Post by mike-tracy »

Personally this is one of those things I'd just replace rather than have an unknown condition bearing that would require me to pull the motor or tranny if it fails.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I understand your position, and I feel the same way.

That is why I am endeavoring to change the status of the my bearing from 'unknown' to either bad, decent, good or anything in the 'known' spectrum.

Replacing stuff is fine, but simply doing it because I don't know how to diagnose is, possibly, unnecessarily expensive.
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The bearing looks ok. I believe they do have a little bit of horizontal movement/play.

The issue, and I agree with Mike on this is that the bearing may be ok today when you install it, but how is it going to be in 5, 10, 20k km, etc? Do you want to drop the trans and go through the hassle of all that because you didn't replace the throwout bearing?

If you have the time and don't mind doing it....then that's up to you, but there are certain parts that it's good to replace as a preventative maintenance schedule. The throwout bearing with a new clutch (assuming it has quite a bit of miles), water pump, etc. For me, the extra money is worth not having to do the work twice, or being broken down on the side of the road.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
daveh
In Neutral

Post by daveh »

For about $35 I wouldn't even bother looking at the old one. I just had one fail last month and had to spend 4 hours of my afternoon dropping my transmission to replace it. Do the pilot bearing at the same time.
99 Outback
92 Legacy Turbo 5 speed
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Release bearing on a EJ22t costs a lot more than $35.

$200 from my local dealer, $150 plus shipping from internet.
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
daveh
In Neutral

Post by daveh »

Sorry, my bad, I had a 2.5 rs trans in my last one. Even still, for $200 I wouldn't even look at it. It is apart, now is the best time to replace it.
99 Outback
92 Legacy Turbo 5 speed