Window gusset question

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tsubie
In Neutral

Window gusset question

Post by Tsubie »

Hi everyone. I have a "which came first the chicken or the egg" type question. My window Gusset (that triangle piece that always makes wind noise) is split and I have a gap between the outer side of window and gusset. Pic looking down from top of window:
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28 ... C01048.jpg

My question is this: Is the window curving in too much because the Gusset is split?
or
Is the Gusset split because the window is curving in too much?

In other words, would buying new Gussets fix the problem, or just cause the new Gussets to split as well?

I ask because the front of the window (by the Gusset) moves in and out and I'm not sure how likely it is that the inner stabilizer is not right allowing it to lean in too hard, or if the (in my case split) Gusset actually acts as a frame/track and the only real thing holding the window in the most upright position.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
25th year anniversary edition
Phoenician Blue Metallic #227
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Window gusset question

Post by Legacy777 »

The gusset may act a little as a guide, but I don't believe it should be acting as a structural type member or track.

Hopefully some others can chime in.

I've got two new gussets to put in my Legacy, just haven't got around to it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

Thanks Josh,
Just some background for everyone info that I didn't include. Here's a bit of a timeline:

-pre-existing: minor split in both gussets, only have wind noise from passenger window.

-last week: I get both windows busted out on the driver side (both driver side door windows). Nothing stole luckily, just bored H.S kids I guess :x

-Yesterday: I have company "X" put in new glass in both driver side doors (yeah, again, I now know should of just got them used and put em in myself:roll: ). Job actually went smoothly until I drove the car later that day and have a more wind noise than the pass. side where I used to have no noise. The gusset seems more split now then before, but what I can't tell is if that happened when the window got busted, or if the window itself was out of adjustment (causing the gusset to split more).

-They came back out this morning and adjusted the tilt slightly and also the inner stabilizer (to the max). No noticeable change, still get the wind noise but now I know there is no more adjustment. Is there any other adjustment for "lean-in" other than the inner stabilizer?

FWIW, I do notice the passenger side has very minimal splitting compared to the driver side, and has far less play. And if I hold the 2 split sides together as if it was new, the window does have less play.
I can't imagine that Subaru would expect the rubber at the very top of the gusset to hold the window upright? I'll try squeezing the metal parts (inside the gusset) together to see if that actually helps the window position. I would buy the new gusset, but at that price I wouldn't want the window to just split the new one too.

:?: Question to anyone that has replaced the window gussets...Did you notice less of a "lean in" at the top of the windows once you replace the Gussets?
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

Small update:
I pinched the gusset closed to where it would stay in contact by itself at the top, but as soon as I put the window up, it was no different. I think the only thing left is a new(er) gusset to be sure. The guys that did the windows said they would put the gussets in for free, so I just might take them up on that. I'll let everyone know if I find out anything about our gussets.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

I had a chrysler sebring that was a pita and yes, they are structural at least on those cars
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I had a wind noise issue in my '94 turbo wagon and I fixed it by taking the gussets off the car and closing them up with a table mounted vise, that got rid of the wind noise and it was free.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

So I'm guessing the gussets are more structural than I was wanting to believe. :roll:

I didn't think the pinching was making much difference, but I went out just now and gave it some more thumb muscle. I was able to feel more where the metal would be and was able to get a large improvement in the lean-in gap.
I will still have to road test to see if that helped. if it improved but still not enough, I'll get serious and put it in the vise.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

They aren't that hard to get off. Remove door card, mirror, and a few nuts and wiggle them free. I had one off in like ten minutes.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

Good news! The gap and wind noise are gone. Pinching the gap closed by hand got rid my wind noise and also 90% of the gusset gap with window up and door open.

So (I think) in answer to the question: The torn Gusset (by itself) will not make the window lean in too much. But the torn rubber will allow the metal in the gusset (which does hold the window upright) to be bent out of correct gap from improper window forces being applied. In my case, those forces being, from forceful glass installers, previous owners shutting the door from the top of window, etc ,etc.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm gonna clamp mine. I heard this works but only temporarily and depending on if you close the door by the window.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

clamp them first then add some tubing to the window seal in the gap to make it a tighter fit
lastly get more gussets in good shape
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I forgot to mention my window leaks from right above that gusset. Been doing it ever since I painted the roof and had removed the rubber gasket in the door and put it back. It's in properly, don't know why it leaks.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson