Rebuilding my EJ22t Need Suggestions.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Rebuilding my EJ22t Need Suggestions.

Post by 93legacylsleeper »

Alright so here's the deal. I have to rebuild the engine on my Legacy as I am going to make a daily driver outta this thing. Its currently well over the 200xxx mark so I want to get it solid. My plans are to get it rebuilt right the first time so i don't have to open up the engine again. I have a set of the EJ25d heads off of a 1998 Legacy GT I also have a spare Complete EJ22T engine with 167xxx miles from a junkyard. The car is set-up with a TD-04 07 TMIC, Full Exhaust, I have Yellow 550's in N/A rails waiting to go on. and some other random stuff. Im not trying to make a race car... Just something to have a good amount of fun in. I'd be happy to get to the 12+ psi boost range and have it reliable. Im also working on a bit of a budget :( But i do have some of the parts that would make it expensive ie. the heads. So what Im really asking is, Should i use the 2.5 heads? What type of rebuild should they receive? What block should I use? (The one with less miles came from a 91 with an Auto trans.) Assuming the block needs to be bored or honed ill do that. What Pistons/Crank/Rods should I use? From what i've read the stock Crank and Rods are forged and probably wont need upgrading considering im not trying to go over the top with this build. But pistons are a concern especially since im trying to take care of as much Bottom stuff as I can while I have the engine out. I know there is a ton of information out here and i like the looks of the tribute build thats probably more of what im looking to do. Any input/Information regarding this stuff would be much appreciated. Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rebuilding my EJ22t Need Suggestions.

Post by Legacy777 »

Check out this thread for some reading on the 2.5 heads
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16448

Really you need to ask yourself, what is your budget. If all you are wanting to run is around 12 psi, then just rebuild the motor in stock form and run stock injectors. If you run anything other than stock injectors, you will need some form of engine management....and then you get into a spiraling budget increase due to other stuff that "should" be upgraded.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

So I read through that Thread and I think you made me a believer. I probably will stick with the stock heads Just have them Re-built. Maybe a light PnP. My price range for the Re-build is $1500-$2000. Thats just for the engine. I just want to build the bottom end right the first time I do it. I was Upgrading the car with Hopes of using the Revtronix Stage II but it seems they went outta business... What would you guys do with a $ 1500 Dollar budget just for the engine? I would like to give the local WRX kids a run for they're money :twisted: :twisted:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's some rough numbers on what I've spent for my rebuild, to give you some ideas on costs.

Wiseco Forged Pistons ~ $400
Eagle Rods ~ $400
ARP Studs ~ $220
ACL Crank & Rod Bearings (Calico Coated) ~ $185
Subaru Gasket kit ~ $200
Valve job & engine machine work ~ $400

So as you can see, that's just the basic stuff, and doesn't include timing belt, water pump, sealants, and other misc stuff. You may be able to get some things cheaper, or go a different route, but the costs for a good rebuild are not going to be hugely less than that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

That does put it into a better perspective. Did you bore the block at all or is that for stock size pistons? Did you assemble that yourself or did you pay a shop to put it together? I definitely like the look of that list. That pretty much close to what I had in mind as a stout bottom end. How much boost would you say thats good for? I gonna read through your build...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the block was bored for the wiseco pistons, and those costs were included in the machine costs I listed above. I assembled the block myself.

I don't know how much boost per say that bottom end is good for. The wiseco pistons up the compression ratio slightly to 8.5 to 1 from the stock 8 to 1. I will likely run slightly less boost due to the CR being higher. I was running around 20 psi with stock pistons, and will probably run in the 15-17 range with the new block. It will all depend on what my AFR's and IDC's are. I'll push it until I run out of fuel with the current injectors.

That's really the limiting factor, how much fuel and air can you put in, not necessarily max boost pressure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

josh as you know i am rebuilding my engine and getting part
here what i have now

i would like to know where you find these at that price bcuz i may be interested buying these.

here the part i have now

td04
440cc injector
head gasket set
timming belt kit
walbro fuel pump
hdi electronic boost controller
heat wrap for exaust
jesc map
front mount intercooler
a few other part that i donr recall now

do i need fuel pressure regulator ubgrade?
what engine management i could get under 600$?
what wideband should i get i thnk i need one right?
any other part i forgot to mention that i may be considering for the rebuild?
im plannig to stay stock on the head from now so is these part you referring are working on a stock22t engine?
Legacy777 wrote:Here's some rough numbers on what I've spent for my rebuild, to give you some ideas on costs.

Wiseco Forged Pistons ~ $400
Eagle Rods ~ $400
ARP Studs ~ $220
ACL Crank & Rod Bearings (Calico Coated) ~ $185
Subaru Gasket kit ~ $200
Valve job & engine machine work ~ $400

So as you can see, that's just the basic stuff, and doesn't include timing belt, water pump, sealants, and other misc stuff. You may be able to get some things cheaper, or go a different route, but the costs for a good rebuild are not going to be hugely less than that.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I got the Wiseco pistons & Eagle Rods from http://www.importperformanceparts.net
ARP studs I got from http://www.flatlanderracing.com
The ACL bearings I got from http://www.calicocoatings.com/
Subaru gasket kit I got from http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

You don't need an upgraded fuel pressure regulator. I've got a Zeitronix wideband. There's a few others out there, and are more or less the same. As for engine menagement, you'll need a piggy back of some sorts, but I really don't know if I can give you any specific recommendations. Some have used AEM, some have used Greddy Ultimate. Maybe some others can chime in on that.

Edit: It appears IPP doesn't carry the Eagle rods any more, but you can get them from JEGS for less.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/CRS5137 ... tId=754305
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

for EM does it have to be specific for subaru?
i have check the wideband from Zeitronix look good and expensive.
thx for the info btw
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Any piggy back or stand alone will not be subaru specific. However you want to make sure whatever you use, especially stand alone, if you go that route can interpret the crank & cam signals and has enough I/O to control the ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

if all you want to do is beat up on wrx's thats easy. and you can do it with relitivly stock EM.

16g turbo @ 15psi
JECS maf
440 injectors
full turbo back exhaust
top mount intercooler
fuel cut defender
widband just to watch your ass
and boost gauge

all on stock internals.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006