Stage 0 rebuild and Rob Tune (now with stroker build inside)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subytech
Second Gear

Re: Stage 0 rebuild and Rob Tune (now with stroker build ins

Post by subytech »

Yea thats why I need to make a decision about it soon. It's just money lol, but I'm planning on getting a bigger turbo sooner than later so I think I might upgrade, I'm currently running a Fidanza lighweight flywheel with OEM 02 WRX disc and pressure plate.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Well my pistons and rods finally showed up! We've had a very busy couple of weeks after the wife's settlement, running around paying everyone that we need to. We just bought a truck (I can finally give my roommate his car back lol). But work is going well and I should be able to get this stuff to the machine shop with my next paycheck. I know I said this earlier by I will try and take some pics soon and post.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

What machine shop are you using?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I was going to use Action Machine, the did the work on my roommates brothers block and I was very impressed with their surface finishing, and, of corse, they are able to use a torque plate. As for balancing I was going to use a place in Arlington WA called Dynamic Balancing. I have it on good authority that this is the same place Maxwell Power Systems uses for their balancing and if its good enough for Dom its plenty good enough for me!!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

How's the progress coming along?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Even though I said I was going to try and not do this, the project has stalled a bit. Funny how stuff like cars gets put by the wayside when you buy your first house lol. But I've changed jobs and am no longer working on subaru's for a living (now its boats) and for some inexplicable reason I'm finding alot more motivation to work on mine! My main sticking point right now is $$$ for machine work and a clutch. I'm thinking Exidy hyper single. Also I think I might need a new crank, the 2.5d one I have has alot of surface rust so we'll see.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I've learned don't have a day job doing your hobbies.....or you no longer want to do your hobbies. Good luck on the rebuild :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Yea everyone always told me that but I never listened haha. I also feel like working at a dealership with the people I did crushed all my motivation. They were all good people but the Subaru demographic has changed a lot in the last few years, at least where I worked, and the new types of people are quite picky, some to a fault. The dealership I worked with was so pro customer that my service writer was to afraid to explain to some people that some shit is what it is and that's the way the car was designed, sorry. So instead I was asked to re-engineer parts of the car to the customers taste, and don't even get me started on how pitiful SOA's support of technicians was. Don't get me wrong, I hated fixing squeaks and rattles but they are totally not the customers fault (most of the time lol) but when the guy comes in saying his defrost dry's his eyes out too much on high and wants us to fix it so he can leave it on all the time but not get dry eyes? They expect me to try and find something wrong, or create a fix instead of telling the gentleman that that's just the design of the car, kind of chafes you the wrong way. So now I work on CPB boats for a gov. contractor, and these things are certified bad ass!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subytech wrote:...but when the guy comes in saying his defrost dry's his eyes out too much on high and wants us to fix it so he can leave it on all the time but not get dry eyes? They expect me to try and find something wrong, or create a fix instead of telling the gentleman that that's just the design of the car, kind of chafes you the wrong way.
Wow! I'd tell the customer to turn down the fucking defrost....some people :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Yea, it took me 2 weeks of test drives, water leak tests, and windshield condensation comparisons with 2 brand new off the lot O/B's to satisfy my service writer, manager and the customer that it was a normal condition. All with SOA breathing down my neck cuz they didn't want the car to be elegable for lemon law (30 days here in WA). Then when I finally was able to talk to the owner in person (he always did night drops and phone calls to my writer, he was a pilot if that helps lol) I explained that you can have the A/C on and not use defrost and it helps dehumidify the cabin and will keep the windshield clear after you initially clear it on a wet morning with the defrost, he was like "oh really, then thats what I'll do" As a friend always says it was enough to piss off the pope! But like I said now I work for someone who mounts 3-4 STi engines worth of outboarts on the back of their boats and doesn't give 2 shits when we tell them that 2 of them blew and the lower units on 3 are toast, its great!
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Back on topic, I finally got to push my car into my garage...its awsome to be able to say that, "my garage". Anyway, its going on stands here soon and I'm going to start cleaning the engine bay. The dash is coming out soon and I'm going to do alot of rewiring in the engine bay. I was checking out NICO's Leone build and thought that his MIL-SPEC cannon plug was an awesome idea, anyone know a good place to get those things? I'm going to also get rid of the horrible ABS and just try to simplify my engine bay in general in anticipation of the engine that will one day be there.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Well I finally did something to my car for the first time in 6 months! Removed the fenders, front bumper, headlights and corner lights. Also started removing the front electrical harness. Tomorrow hopefully is dash removal and then I need to figure out where I'm going to relocate the front fuse box and possibly the washer bottle.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Just thought I would post some quick pics of the current workspace and the current state of disassembly. I'm in the process of doing what I like to think of as a function over form wiring tuck. I will be posting more in depth about this and some small engine bay "shaving" in their appropriate places once I get further along.

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I absolutely hate those ladders.....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT