EJ 2.2 conversion

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

S Webster
In Neutral

EJ 2.2 conversion

Post by S Webster »

Hi folks. Say, I'm gettin' ready to start the 2.2 conversion into my 88 GL 10 T wagon. I have a 2.2 turbo engine settin' on my shop floor, I've pulled the heads off and they look good, the cylinder bores still have nice cross hatch. Maybe low miles. Can you tell me if the numbers on top of the bell hsng. adapter plate indicate date of mfg.? The #s are, 852702851793, I thot' the 93 at the end mite make it that year model. I've aquired a Fel-pro head set with the MLS head gskts, and their lower end set. I keep getting different responses on reusing the factory head bolts, any feed back? It's a clean little motor, and should go back together nicely. Thanks for your input. S.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EJ 2.2 conversion

Post by Legacy777 »

I got mixed opinions on reusing the head bolts. I did with the first motor build, but then ran into headgasket issues. Granted I don't know if that was due to running a lot more boost and/or not resurfacing the block. So I think it's one of those judgement calls you'll have to make.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
S Webster
In Neutral

Post by S Webster »

Yes, that what I've run into, one local machine shop said they wouldn't warranty an overhaul w/o new bolts. Another shop, an independent Suby place said he's done hundreds of Suby overhauls and never replaced a head bolt. If I had the $, I'd go with ARP studs but that's a couple of hundred bucks. Guess I'll prob. use the old ones, chase the threads in both places and hope for the best. I wont' need more than 10 lbs. of boost anyway, so hope it won't be a problem. Any thot's on the engine #s thing? Thanks Josh, Steve.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I haven't really found any confirmation of what those numbers mean....if they mean anything. You can try looking through the first several pages of the parts book on my server to see if any of the info in there jives with those numbers.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=30531
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I was an OEM Subaru tech for 5 years, my last year being 2011. Subaru's official word is that head bolts can be used as many times as needed, and in 5 years and hundreds of headgasket jobs/shorblock replacements I've only once replaced them due to the car overheating so badly that the cylinder liners cracked and the aluminum bores they were in started melting! I decided putting that much heat to a headbolt was a bad thing lol. I've never had a failure due to head bolts, that being said if your planing on upping your boost like Josh said it might be worth looking into an ARP stud kit since your in there and also having the at least the heads decked. But I should also note that I resealed a friends 92 turbo legacy and reused his bolts, we are currently going on 3 years, 2 of which are with a Robtune and 18lbs of boost, no leaks, no problems. I'm also a huge fan of the OEM 2.2t headgasket, not so much the aftermarket MLS one but thats my $0.02
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
martimus919
First Gear

Post by martimus919 »

This is a little off topic of head bolts. But you'll probably want to look into making shims for your motor mounts. The Loyales have a different angle on the motor mounts and can tear after little use. Where as the older cross members have a similar enough angle that no shims are needed. I'll post a pic of the shim when I can, I have a friend with some on his Loyale w/ 2.2 conversion.
07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.