Torque chip.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

'93_5SPD_TURBO
In Neutral

Torque chip.

Post by '93_5SPD_TURBO »

I have aquestion about the Torque Chip.I would like to know what kind of power gains came of it? Pros and cons? If anyone dynoed the car before and after the chip? And what mods are done to the car?

I thank you all for your time,
Steve
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I don't think anyone's actually dynoed their car with and without the chip. Apparently, people have had mixed reviews - some good, some bad. However, a guy with an RS-T noted that he saw more gains with the turbo and the chip rather than just the chip. I think Legacy777 has one, but I'm not sure.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I have one.....I was getting weird issues.....and checked the wiring......a wire came loose....and not knowing how long it was disconnected.....I really can't give you a good judgement on it. I'm going to put it back in probably in a week or so.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
'93_5SPD_TURBO
In Neutral

Post by '93_5SPD_TURBO »

Legacy777, if you think of it let me know the out come when you put the chip back in. I also heard mixed reviews on the chip. I did hear the chip only cranks up the boost leaving the timing and fuel the same as stock.

I think I'm going to stay away from it unless I hear alot of good.

Thanks you,
Steve
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Al's done a lot of work on the chip recently.

milehial, would be the one to talk to about the chip, since he's developing it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Subarureveiw.com has several people saying some pretty good things about the TorqueChip it has been known as the JC Sports Torque Chip, Suby Sports Racing Chip and Suby Sports Chip. One thing that I can guarrantee is that it will not increase boost.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The Torque Chip 2.0, at least, can't directly control boost. It appears to me, based on the installation diagram, that it modifies the vehicle speed sensor data and the water temperature data. It also reads the engine speed.

It seems to me that modifying the VSS reading can be useful to bypass the speed limiter, and maybe to trick the ECU into thinking you're never in 1st gear (the ECU sometimes limits boost in 1st gear to protect the transmission). Lowering the water temperature reading is a classic way of tricking an EFI system into running a little richer, and I've heard it said that one of the things the TC2 does is richen your mixture a little bit, and I've heard it does so to good effect. Keeping the coolant temperature reading low should also keep the system open-loop, so the mixture can stay slightly rich.

I don't know what's inside the chip, but presumably there's a reliable microcontroller that modifies these two readings intelligently. The result would be maybe a little more boost in 1st gear, a bypassed speed limiter, and a slightly richer mixture at least some of the time with the system kept open loop.
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The only dyno runs we ever did were with a 1.8lt Impreza FWD so I don't publish them and kind of let the chip speak for itself. Those runs did show a max gain of 11hp at 3700 with less below and above that. This was at 5400' above sea level on a warm day
AL(CO)