Code 45 + fuel cut under any load

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tsbpenguin
First Gear

Code 45 + fuel cut under any load

Post by tsbpenguin »

Freshly completed ej22t and 5mt swap throwing codes 22 and 45. 22 is from me busting the knock sensor wire and trying to throw a quick fix at it, so that is really a non issue here. Code 45 is stumping me though. It sputters and fuel cuts under almost any load from the gas pedal. I can feel the pressure exchange solenoid clicking when the car is in test mode. Got a used, known to be working, pressure sensor and swapped that one in. Checked the hose from the solenoid to the sensor, and replaced the one from the solenoid to the intake manifold. Also running a Forge MBC with a dropping resistor wired in if that matters. The only thing I haven't been able to confirm 100% is the color of the wires for the pressure sensor (had to splice it in since I didn't have a full harness). I believe I have it as red = power, white = signal, green = ground. Is this correct? Also, do I need to ground the pressure sensor shield wire anywhere on the engine side? Any specific vacuum/boost/pcv lines I should check closely that could have an effect? Trying to regain driveability by friday morning and this seems to be my last snag. Thanks in advance!
In between Subies
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Re: Code 45 + fuel cut under any load

Post by bmxkelowna »

45 is map right? your any load cut is really zero vac and above cut. there's an issue with the map sensor not reading anything and the ecu is playing safe and not letting the car boost.

i had the same issue years ago when i tried wiring in a fuel cut defender. i got the wires wrong i guess and shorted the map circuit in the ecu and needed to replace the ecu
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

bmxkelowna wrote:45 is map right? your any load cut is really zero vac and above cut. there's an issue with the map sensor not reading anything and the ecu is playing safe and not letting the car boost.

i had the same issue years ago when i tried wiring in a fuel cut defender. i got the wires wrong i guess and shorted the map circuit in the ecu and needed to replace the ecu
Ya I'm just trying to figure out which wires are which so I can double check my wiring...
In between Subies
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

Got it figured out! I had it wired up like the pressure sensors with the black wire (red for ground, white for power, black for signal) but since I have the green wire I tried it with red being power, white being signal, and green being ground, and the problem disappeared! Still getting some sputtering and hesitation under boost, but I found some cracked intake/vacuum/boost hoses. Did a quick electrical tape patch on all the ones I could see and it majorly improved. Going to replace the whole intake, vacuum, and pcv systems next week and see if that completely takes care of it.
In between Subies
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

bmxkelowna wrote:45 is map right? your any load cut is really zero vac and above cut. there's an issue with the map sensor not reading anything and the ecu is playing safe and not letting the car boost.

This is exactly correct. Any issues with pressure sensing or boost control makes the ECU freak out and fuel cut under any positive pressure. I had a similar issue but with the boost controller circuit in an ECU in my '91 t-leg once and needed a new ECU to fix it. I also had to run new wires because my wiring was actually broken and shorted somewhere in the harness as well.