Need Help ASAP Halfshaft/Brake Disc problems

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Grant
Second Gear

Need Help ASAP Halfshaft/Brake Disc problems

Post by Grant »

I was changing out my driver's side drive shaft since both cv's were toast and had to use a hammer and punch to get the old one out. Now I cannot get the new one back in. I was reading the Haynes and for installation they say repeat removal steps in reverse order. For removing the end they say if you have trouble or hang up on the splines to use a two-jaw puller, and to remove the disc brakes. I started this process, got the caliper off and can't seem to get the rotor to come off the hub. I'm going crazy. Now I'm bumming rides to work, was over an hour late, and have my car sitting on jack stands in the driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now I am going to wait until Monday and do the struts at the same time, since I already have half the car taken apart :D Thanks in advance!
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I'm a little confused.... are you trying to take the rotor off to get the new axle in or get the old one out? Anyways I had trouble getting my rear rotors off before and I used a piece of wood and a hammer to dislodge them. Put the wood flush against a good portion of the rotor then hit the wood with the hammer, it probably won't take much to get them off. If they don't come loose on the first couple of hits then try to move around the entire rotor hitting the wood in kind of a star pattern like you would do your lug nuts. Oh and spray it with some PB Blaster.

Tell me...did you already do your passenger side and it was easy and now the driver side won't come out or what? I had a HUGE ordeal with my driver side although my passenger side came out and in by hand. I ruined a heavy duty punch and broke a 2 jaw puller trying to get it out and ended up having to take the whole steering knuckle out to torch it out. :shock: I then had to replace my wheel bearing and seals. My car was off the road for the better part of 2 weeks when I did it. :evil:
Good luck.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

The passenger side came in and out by hand, no resistance. The driver's side I was able to get out with a hammer and punch and can't for the life of me get it back in. I was trying to take off the rotors to give me more space to work. I am also going to take the strut off and replace it on Monday so that should make it easier hopefully.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I had trouble getting mine back in too. I used a piece of wood and a mini sledge to get it back in. I put the wood across the end of the hub and smacked it back in. It took awhile though. I was starting to really stress and think it wasn't going to go when it finally popped all the way back in.

Check the splines for slight flat spots, I think that's what caused mine to go in hard. If there is some I'd try and file them down, I sure wish I had :roll:

Also put a lot of anti-sieze on the splines so the next time it won't be so hard to do.

Hopefully this helps and good luck.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You mean the front rotors, right? Because the rear have the parking brake in them and you should turn the little adjuster nut on the inside first to retract the shoes before beating the bag out of them (not that they won't hang up anyway, but at least you'll know it wasn't your fault). If they are the rears and still give trouble, make sure you get new retaining pins and hats for the shoes (4 each part total) as forcing the rotors off with shoes stuck to them will more than likely destroy these parts. There's a trick to getting these pins and hats on and I can tell you if you need to know.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Soooo....did you get it done?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]