Saab Intercooler Question

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Saab Intercooler Question

Post by J-MoNeY »

Im a little lost on the whole DV thing. After installing a Saab TMIC, do you need to tap you stock DV into the IC piping?
98 LGT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Yes, you do. If you don't run some kind of air bypass in your setup you will damage your turbo. Some people are running BOVs but they create some issues that I personally didn't want to deal with so I used the stock DV. check out http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14152 . There's some pictures of my setup. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

:cry:. Darn. I was hoping to get by without welding in a nipple thing.
98 LGT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

You might be able to use a plastic pvc pipe inbetween the compressor outlet and the i/c instead of metal ( I used aluminized steel) and glue in a plastic "nipple thing" with some kind of Silicon or something (I'm sure someone knows of something that would work good). You'd want to pressure test it before use probably but all you would really need is a hacksaw and drill. I'm sure it could be done. Just get creative :wink:

That or just measure to get it all set up how you want it and the parts and see if a muffler shop will cut the pipe to length and weld in the "nipple thing" real quick. Probably wouldn't cost very much at all.

:)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Do you have the completely aluminum one? On my setup, the bolt was removed that is located between the inlet and outlet and a copper piece of pipe was pounded in the hole. I sealed it with JB Weld and used that as a place to attach a hose to the bov. It seems to work alright. Sorry, don't have pics or I'd have one posted for you.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I've been running the Saab TMIC for over a year and a half with no bypass valve, but you should definitely get one if possible, just know that they're not absolutely vital or anything.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Oooh, that can't be good for your turbo. I would not recommend running without one, they're there for a reason :wink:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

I'm planning on talking a trip to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find a Saab intercooler. Then it's off to the hardwear store to get the parts I need to install it. Have any suggestions on the parts I need?
98 LGT
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

You're gonna have to cut about 1/8" off the part of the IC that goes to the TB, at least that's how mine was, also make sure you move the coolant tank, or the IC will rub against the fittings in the back and break em(this was a $140 lesson learned the hard way...lol)
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Take pix and write down things you bought.

The more information there is about this mod, the easier it will be for me to do this summer :)
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

91White-T wrote:I've been running the Saab TMIC for over a year and a half with no bypass valve, but you should definitely get one if possible, just know that they're not absolutely vital or anything.
I've been reading 21st century perfomance, and the author actually explains that a bov is not needed on a near stock car. His reasoning (and make your own decisions based on everyone's evidence) is that the turbo is fed by the exhaust and one you let of the gas, the turbo will slow down an appreciable amount anyways (especially the non-ball bearing turbos), so a bov is not really necessary. He summarized that the bov is on stock cars more for NVH reasons.

FWIW, I'm running a stock bov but it seems like LegacyT's doing just fine. BTW, what does your engine sound like without a bov?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Without a BOV I get compressor surge every time I let off the gas, and it sounds really really cool and it's LOUD, it's worth it just for the looks people give me :D
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

What does that sound like, anyway?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Loud fluttering noise, hard to describe, like something bouncing back and forth kinda...
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's probably not absolutely necessary for the turbo, but I could see it improving the lifespan... not that a well-cared-for turbo has a short lifespan.

For what it's worth, Jim Wolf Technologies (a big Nissan tuner) didn't include a blowoff valve in their SR20DE turbo kit. Jim Wolf was trying to keep the kit simple, and he said the turbo didn't seem to really mind it.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Did I just get sent to an alternate universe or something. Everyone is speaking of turbos with no blow off or pop off valve? [scratching head]

This is like running a fuel injected motor with no fuel return line!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Not quite the same thing... but, many cars these days do have returnless fuel systems. :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

My turbo has ~200K on it and no bypass valve running 15psi for 18 months now...
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

I finally got an intercooler comming to me. My main concern is that rubber piece that most of you have from the TB to the intercooler inlet. What are your suggestions for the piece?
98 LGT
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Go to AutoZone and buy a 3"-2.5" rubber intake hose adapter thing, It should be in the rice section, then you can trim some of it off, and it fits pretty well. Also it was less than 5$ if I remember right.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

I wouldn't recommend using PVC to plum in your DV. I originally used a plastic "T" to allow me to put the stock DV on a WRX intercooler. This gave me an extremely loud reverberating type of noise and vibration at 0 Vac/Boost and eventually warped due to the extreme high temperatures. So after weeks of trouble shooting I swaped out the PVC and replaced it with a copper "T" and the noise and vibration are much much quieter now!

Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

Back onto the BOVs for a second. The 88-93 Celica All-Tracs did not come with a stock BOV or bypass valve of any kind and they run fine. Anyway, when i added the 900 intercooler to my legacy, i just used a piece of exhaust pipe and drilled a hole into it and welded a smaller pipe to the exhaust piece. I attached the BOV to this, now the only problem is the fact that i need a longer hose to connect it all up correctly. I'm gonna take pictures for all of you now, i'll post them up in a little while.
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD