EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by cj91legss »

Yes it is the Jecs ECU, Sorry I should have been more specific in the first post.

Pics of the ECU board and ECU Case

91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

CJ,

Thanks for the pics and info!

Just to add to what CJ has posted, you need a JECS ECU from a 92-94 Legacy. The 90-91's were different and did not have the middle holes for the heat sink to bolt to. You could drill them, but if you're looking for a plug & play setup, go with the 92-94 non-turbo JECS ECU case.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Well, today I was finally able to get a Robtune ECU into my car. I have the 440cc's, the JECS MAF, a TD04, and stock EJ22T block and heads. This car has been running an early Revtronix since they first came out, but the driveability always suffered with jerky transitions between fueling modes. I had conditioned myself to drive it well, but it was never "right" the way I wanted.

After waiting for Rob to perfect his process and design, I asked him to do me up a tune on the EJ20G ECU and make me a spark adapter while he was at it. Rob's a lot like me and doesn't have a lot of spare time, but the wait was worth it.

After getting an 92 NA ECU case to hold the EJ20G board, the installation was practically drop-in. I followed the instructions in the "Adapting the Ej20G ECU" thread and the "Modifying Spark Adapter" thread for de-pinning and combining the adapter to the harness. It honestly was tremendously easy, once I figured out how to de-pin using a safety pin. It took about 1.5 hours going slow from pulling the car into the garage and driving it back out again for a test spin.

After just a short drive, I am amazed at how smooth the transitions are and well the car pulls. It really feels like driving OEM smooth now, the car feels completely different. I'll post more comments once I've got some miles done, but right now I can't thank Rob enough for taking this problem on and finding an elegant solution.
Last edited by ScottyS on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

Very cool!!! I don't any of us can thank him enough for giving us some sort of PnP solution to the hassle of owning an OBD-I vehicle and not being able to simply plug in a Cobb AccessPort and make all of our mods work with the car.
'92 Legacy Sport - Daily Driver & SCCA AutoX (Class: SM)
"When in doubt, flat out!" Colin McRae 1968-2007
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

i dont know if this has been mentioned, but i was installing one of robs 20g boards into a jecs n/a ecu, and on comparison of the boards, i cant find a difference. it even has the 28 pin socket for the external rom chip..... rob have you looked into chipping the n/a ecu?
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

As far as i know josh or another board member is sending him an na ecu for some diagnosis. It would be awesome if rob was able to crack them as well. Could make affordability easy as hell.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So Rob thinks it may be possible to chip an NA ECU instead of an EJ20G? Sweet. Doesn't help me a bit. I just need to go COP already.

I have a good question. If I go to COP with WRX coils is it still necessary to mess with the harness? I don't know what I have to do to go from EJ20G w/dual ignitor conversion setup over to WRX coil-on-plug setup.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

kimokalihi wrote:If I go to COP with WRX coils is it still necessary to mess with the harness? I don't know what I have to do to go from EJ20G w/dual ignitor conversion setup over to WRX coil-on-plug setup.
Kimo,
I believe page 13-14 of this same Thread will help answer this question.
Td
Last edited by wtdash on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I gave Mike a non-turbo JECS ECU to give to Rob when he sees him. Rob will take a look at it and see if he can do anything.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

Like Kimo stated above, the modification of the EJ22E ECU won't be a benefit t me, but it would surely help out those who want to do this mod on the cheap or assist those who have an N/A Legacy and want to turbo it.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

ScottyS wrote: After just a short drive, I am amazed at how smooth the transitions are and well the car pulls. It really feels like driving OEM smooth now, the car feels completely different. I'll post more comments once I've got some miles done, but right now I can't thank Rob enough for taking this problem on and finding an elegant solution.
Thanks for the feedback Scotty. I am glad you are happy with it. And yes, I am busy busy busy and not always the best at responding to forum posts, PMs, emails, carrier pigeons.... Best advice is to email me directly, keep pinging me, and don't take it personally if you don't hear anything for a while.
MikeyMeyagi wrote:i dont know if this has been mentioned, but i was installing one of robs 20g boards into a jecs n/a ecu, and on comparison of the boards, i cant find a difference. it even has the 28 pin socket for the external rom chip..... rob have you looked into chipping the n/a ecu?
Yes as Josh mentioned I am slightly optimistic that those NA ECUs have the same components as the the ej20g ecus. If this is true, then I can stop trolling ebay UK for ecus. Thanks to Josh for bringing the spare ECU with him on his visit to WA. I will be meeting up with MikeT soon to deliver his tune and pick up the NA ecu to try.
kimokalihi wrote: I have a good question. If I go to COP with WRX coils is it still necessary to mess with the harness? I don't know what I have to do to go from EJ20G w/dual ignitor conversion setup over to WRX coil-on-plug setup.
If you have the right heads to fit the COP, then it would be a matter of running some new wires to the COPs; one each from the ECU and a common Batt+ wire to all four. You wouldn't use EJ20G coils, but instead jump straight to the GD coils. They will need a ground wire but that can run from the coil to the mounting bolt. You can eliminate the 4to2 adapter, stock igniter and plug wires this way.

-Rob
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

They're ej20g forester heads which were wasted spark to begin with and I'm pretty sure don't have the cop mounting bolt holes. Will this prevent me from using wrx cop?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Look under there Kimo, I'll bet you'll find a bolt hole for cop.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I had a chance to try out the NA ECU (thanks to Josh the pusher and Mike the mule) this weekend and unfortunately the news is not good. It took the EJ20G chip and on the bench it looked like it was running ok which was encouraging. I did notice however that it was running batched injection (paired injectors firing simultaneously), whereas the EJ20G ecu runs sequential injection. I am not sure why that is, but I took it as a bad sign. My suspicion was correct in that the car wouldn't start. So at least the version I got from Josh (with the extra riser board) is a no-go.

-Rob
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Got my Robtuned car running! Couple of per-existing issues I need to work out with my wiring, but with the MBC set to 12PSI it pulls way harder than the Z4 ECU did at 14 psi. Cant wait for my car to run properly and test the tune out at 18psi!
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

That sounds awesome Mike!!!
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Sweet!
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mike, did the robtune ecu solve your spark fuel problem?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

kimokalihi wrote:Mike, did the robtune ecu solve your spark fuel problem?
nope. I wasn't expecting it to, but I was hoping it would. :)
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

bummer the n/a ecu didnt work with the 20g chip.... any way to make a chip that would work with it though?
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You swapped the chip yourself or are you saying rob figured out he can't make chips for the na ecu?
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

MikeyMeyagi wrote:bummer the n/a ecu didnt work with the 20g chip.... any way to make a chip that would work with it though?
You are funny Mike. How about I add that to the list of stuff that I am already not getting done :mrgreen:

Kidding aside, I am guessing there are differences in one of the big chips that I can't do anything about. It is weird that it tried to run in batch injection mode. I didn't think any subaru did that. It might just be an artifact of something else not being right.
Lego22T
First Gear

Post by Lego22T »

It is a shame that this doesn't look promising for the N/A ECU. Glad I have a JDM model to be modified!
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I have a feeling that there are way more ej20g ecus floating around than SS's, so we should all be set as long as rob keeps making. chips.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

There is no shortage of EJ20G ecus, it is just that they are scattered across the world. UK is my best source, but still a pain.

The good news is that at least someone has found a cheap solution for easy ecu mounting.

-Rob