Engine Idling at 2k? help?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

94Turbro
In Neutral

Engine Idling at 2k? help?

Post by 94Turbro »

Hey there all, so like i said my engine idles at around 2000rpm, i say around because sometimes it drops to 1500, and other times it idles as high as 3000,

Im really a noob when it comes to Fuel Injected engines, any help would be Greatly appreciated. :D
1994 Legacy SS: TD04, FMIC, Daily baby hauler/ Hoon cart.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine Idling at 2k? help?

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Can you provide us some more information, what year and model Legacy do you have, turbo/non-turbo, manual trans/auto trans, how long has the idle been like this, what maintenance has been done recently or to try and fix the problem, and is the check engine light on?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
94Turbro
In Neutral

Post by 94Turbro »

Certainly, Its a 1994 Sport Sedan, it has a TD04 and a FMIC, awhaile ago i took my car to the shop because the ABS light came on, well the subie techs told me i needed a new water pump etc, so i got that replaced. before i took it into the shop it idled below 1000rpm, then after i got it back it idles around 2000rpm. No CEL's or anything, it runs well, just high.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you tell the shop that the idle isn't right? They did "something" that affected the idle. Did they suggest replacing the timing belt? It has to be removed in order to get at the water pump, so depending on your mileage and when it was last done, it's typically a good idea to replace the timing belt at the same time.

So did they address the ABS light that was on, or just the water pump?

If all that the techs did was replace the water pump, which requires pulling the timing belt, I'd be suspicious if they didn't get the timing belt aligned correctly, which caused it to have a poor idle....and to "fix" it, they just raised the idle. This is purely speculative on my part, but without knowing what they told you or suggested to be replaced, I've formed an opinion about the shop.

You could look at the throttle stop screws and the idle air control valve to see if the white paint across the throttle stop screws and screws on the idle air control valve has been scratched away or if the marks have moved.

What area do you live in?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
94Turbro
In Neutral

Post by 94Turbro »

Denver, Colorado. Im almost Positive they replaced the timing belt, The Mechanic i got seemed capable, and when they checked the ABS light they came up with nothing i guess, so im assuming the code fixed itself?
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

IF you can't seem to find the problem troubleshooting through here take your car to Greg at slodrive in longmont. He can fix your idle and tell you what other shop may have done wrong at a very reasonable price
Last edited by alexandermf on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94Turbro
In Neutral

Post by 94Turbro »

Will do, thanks.