DIY: Clean and regrease those dirty window tracks!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

alexandermf
Third Gear

DIY: Clean and regrease those dirty window tracks!

Post by alexandermf »

I have a small writeup with a couple pics of a lil project over the weekend im glad I finally tackled! If your 20yo legacy is anything like mine, at least 1, if not all 4 windows give you hell going up or down or even both :P Well I got new speakers for my car and was taking my door panels off to do some body work/dent repair when I thought, hey, why not fix your stinkin windows while your here? I'll get the pics uploaded by tonight as well.

Supplies List: >$10 at local auto store
-any type of degreaser/dirt remover, I had a few extra cans of simple green and engine degreaser I used
-any type of mechanical grease, I picked up a tube of "waterproof green grease" from autozone
-Phillips and flat head screwdriver
-cheap/reusable shop cloths(i have s*** ton o microfiber towels so I just used those)
-grease gun(optional), I used my good ole fashioned fingers to grease the tracks :)
-your choice of mood food or mind calming meditation you prefer because your hands and arms will get cut up, scratched, pricked, pinched, and slightly bloody(maybe thats just me being hardcore ;) lol

Step 1: Door panel removal
-carefully remove plastic door handle trim(three clips total around these things, be careful, 20yo!) flathead healps, if you break of bend them you can always get more at local pullnpay or glue them with gorilla glue or similar crazy glues
-remove the screws holding the door panels in place
-->Rears have 3 screws, one is next to where the actual door latch is and one at the top inside of the handle below the latch and one inside the lil square piece that pops off in the middle/center of the panel
-->Fronts have 3 screws as well, same deal AS WELL as three smaller screws that are near the speaker covering(underneath)
-once all screws and clips are popped out, carefully pop the window switches out of the panel or just undo the wiring harness to them and lift UP and OFF. some wiggling may be required :)
-take off the plastic lining(i taped mine up to the top to stay out of the way) to reveal the two window tracks that the arm travels up and down on.

Step 2: Pick the guinea pig door(best to choose is window giving you most problems)
- Start by spraying the degreaser you chose up and down the two tracks(both should be located at opposite sides inside the door itself)
-from here you can let it sit a couple mins or just start going at it, I had tons of nasty 20yo grease built up inside my tracks so I spent a good half hour on each door cleaning and regreasing(to give you an example)
-your grease will prolly be that brown/yellowish stuff and youll be able to see its coated the sides and inside the tracks so you can see where you need to clean/scrub off.
-once you get both tracks I highly recommend you clean/degrease the arm/rail that connects the tracks and pulls the window down. its just a perpendicular track with some bearings on it, give it a good spray and clean as well!(you may have to roll the window up and down by using the switch while the panel is off to get a good angle to clean the arm)
-once the tracks and arm is clean proceed to spanky new grease! I just popped the top off and used my pinky and index fingers to trace along and inside the tracks and arms. Don't be too skimpy, youll have plenty of grease leftover after all 4 windows! Make sure there is enough to cover all the surface inside and along the tracks
-after you finish your regrease on the 1st window, DO NOT proceeed to others! First use the switch and make sure your window goes up and down with little to no problems compared to before, then if its better/fixed go on to the next 3 windows

Step 3: Reverse Installation
-put the plastic sheet back over(you may or may not need more sealant if yours didnt have enough to reapply itself back to the door.
-put door panels back on reverse order making sure the right screws(big or small) go the appropriate holes otherwise your door panel may be off center or too tight/loose.
-put plastic trims back on and enjoy your windows which feel brand new!

***My passenger window was completely off the front track!! it was literally unbolted so my arm was only pulling from the rear track, I always knew that window was fudged up somehow on the inside, I'm glad I took the time to do this to find and fix and rebolt as well :) If I left anything out or you have any questions just post.

Optional upgrades/maint. to do while this:
-upgrade your crappy paper oem speakers
-sound proof/dynamat any part of your doors if need be
-replace broken door panel trim or customize your door panel cloth
-clean insides of door panels(mine was coated with dirt and leaves)
-grease the locking mechanism or actual door levers(mine are much smoother/easier to operate now)
-windex the bottom of the window while its down in the door, while your regreasing(this is the part that you can never reach while washing your car because the trim at the bottom of the window WHEN its up prevents you!)
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: DIY: Clean and regrease those dirty window tracks!

Post by sqc151 »

thanks for the write up.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So did you find that it made a big difference in how the windows went up and down? Obviously the one window that was off the track I would expect to be slower, but what about the others?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm assuming since you took the time to do a write-up that it did help. I've greased mine and a civics tracks with little to no improvement but I didn't clean the old crap out so maybe that's why. Its not a quick or easy task so unless it made a big difference ill leave mine the way they are.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Its night and day difference :) on all windows. They feel brand new! Especially compared to how horrible they all were getting caught up on old grease
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

yeah, that crap turns to glue over time...
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mine aren't that bad but they sure aren't anywhere as quick as new car windows but I always figured it was normal for od cars. Ill tackle it someday. Maybe this summer. Got a few projects I'm excited to do on my ss before west coast subaru show.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

^^this. .. it was literally glue! I highly suggest u do it over summer :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Interesting.....I'll have to look at doing this after the car is back up and running.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Josh why is it down right now? Hopefully u have some goodies going in :)

And again I honestly can't say enough its been a week and ive finally been enjoying to roll all my windows down in the nice weather... For the year I've owned the car and had the windows all nasty stuck I only ever rolled my drivers side(one with least resistance) and it was always annoying :P if you end up doing this soon post some pics up of your tracks, I wanna see how bad others look before cleaning
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm belaboring doing a 6spd swap :)

All the pictures can be found in the link below and I post updates in my build journal thread.
www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/6spdswap

When I take a look at doing this, I'll take some before pictures.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hey...year bump for a great DIY.

My driver's window 'stutters' on the way down and a bit on the way up. I'm guessing this is the fix.

Thanks
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Post your results. I never got around to doing mine. Just got my car running again first time in 4 months and once again I have many things I hope to do before wcss but probably won't do half of them....again.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....I'd like to know if it helps. The windows on my Legacy are SLOW!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Update: ....I finally remembered I did this....

I got access to the inner door and put some grease on the areas noted above. I also sprayed some white lithium grease on areas i couldn't quite reach.

It's not been cold enough (100° today!) to test it well, but it's better, but not necessarily faster going up/down.

If the 'stuttering' is gone w/the cold temps, I'll call it a success.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Sub'd
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.