EJ22 n/a EJ20 Hybrid talk

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mraolguy
In Neutral

EJ22 n/a EJ20 Hybrid talk

Post by Mraolguy »

So i have been doing a lot of home work looking at a ton of threads about the swaps and it seems that a lot of people a trying to talk me out of the EJ22 Motor i have both kinds the Ej22T and the Ej22 N/a what i am looking for is dose anyone have any info on the Ej20 heads should i use the single over head cam or the deal over head cam. and or is it even possible to use the duel over head cam? i know ill have to upgrade the MAF and ill have to use the N/a fuel rails for the 550 injectors when a upgraded turbo and i'm not sure what ECM to go with i was thinking about going with the EJ20 Wrx ECM and I'm thinking about using robs tune. this is all the things i THINK i know and or want to do so if anyone has any constrictive in put I'm more then will to hear it and i would love your guys in put =) thanks for reading
mike-tracy

Re: EJ22 n/a EJ20 Hybrid talk

Post by mike-tracy »

Check out the "sticky" at the top of the engine forum, and look for the "DOHC Unspoken Details" thread for more info. I have the ej20g engine, and while it is great, I would prefer the more torque from the 2.2 bottom end. After running the setup for a year, my opinion is a DOHC setup is not necessary.

The ej22t is setup for loads of bottom end power, and Deltacams sells drop in cams to give more breathing up top. I've driven an otherwise stock ej22t at 18psi on a td05 turbo. Compared to my ej20 setup with the same turbo, the engine had more power every where that is useful. Spoolup was around 500rpm less which is awesome.

If I did this all again and found an ej22t in good condition, I would go that route (maybe adding cams, maybe not) instead of spending $$$ on an ej20. I would have had my car running 6 months sooner too. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mraolguy
In Neutral

Post by Mraolguy »

mike-tracy wrote:Check out the "sticky" at the top of the engine forum, and look for the "DOHC Unspoken Details" thread for more info. I have the ej20g engine, and while it is great, I would prefer the more torque from the 2.2 bottom end. After running the setup for a year, my opinion is a DOHC setup is not necessary.

The ej22t is setup for loads of bottom end power, and Deltacams sells drop in cams to give more breathing up top. I've driven an otherwise stock ej22t at 18psi on a td05 turbo. Compared to my ej20 setup with the same turbo, the engine had more power every where that is useful. Spoolup was around 500rpm less which is awesome.

If I did this all again and found an ej22t in good condition, I would go that route (maybe adding cams, maybe not) instead of spending $$$ on an ej20. I would have had my car running 6 months sooner too. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :)

i didn't think about cams that not a bad idea either, do you think the EJ20 Heads would work on the Ej22 N/a ?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What application? N/a or Turbo? Either would work, but if you're talking n/a, then a 97-99 EJ25D set of heads would be better due to their n/a cams and not needing to plug the turbo plumbing.

Check out the "dohc unspoken detail thread" :)
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I agree with Mike-tracy, I'm building my Impreza up right now and when I started I had a EJ22t and a EJ20g to choose from sitting in the garage ready to be put in. I needed to make a choice on which one I was going to use and I chose the EJ22t. I love the low end torque, although I have never had the EJ20g in any of my cars to compare it to. I will have the EJ20g in my wife's 93 Legacy here soon so will be able to compare a little.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Mike-tracy, what is "everywhere that is useful"? Is that like under 5000rpm?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Mraolguy
In Neutral

Post by Mraolguy »

mike-tracy wrote:What application? N/a or Turbo? Either would work, but if you're talking n/a, then a 97-99 EJ25D set of heads would be better due to their n/a cams and not needing to plug the turbo plumbing.

Check out the "dohc unspoken detail thread" :)

would i'm thinking about doing is get a EJ22 N/a and putting some Ej20 heads on with the Ej22T Turbo. and a few other things alone with it but i didnt know if the heads would work for that and if i could get them in time =)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

All the older phase I stuff bolts together.

James614 wrote:Mike-tracy, what is "everywhere that is useful"? Is that like under 5000rpm?
That's subjective, but for my driving style, I'd prefer to have most of my power under 5k and do my shifting there.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I hear you, I agree for street driving low-mid range is where its at. The only reason I'm going DOHC is cause I auto-X and will make full use of the 7400rpm red line in the rob tune :D But if you don't race its almost completely useless IMO. Even with the auto-Xing I'm second guessing if its really worth it.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

James, if your goal is AutoX, I still think the stock 22t would be better. I'm not a racer myself, but having extremely quick spool up and tons of bottom end would seem more important than top end power. IMO, a 4.11 or even 4.44 gearbox would be (a somewhat expensive, but) good bet to quicker acceleration. The Rob can change your redline a bit higher if you feel you're not getting what you need out of the turbo.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

You could be right, but I'm already pretty far in this direction it would be a ashamed to not see do it at this point. I was thinking if I got some wiseco pistons to reuse my 2.2 block that I could gain back a bit of low/mid range and keep the top end. If I decide I really hate it I can go back to the 22T, but I don't see that happening honestly.

Sorry for thread jackig btw! I'll shut up now.

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Im bringing up an old post, OP Did you do the n/a with dohc swap option? how do you like it?

I'm actually considering doing this too. Got a rod knock last week and it seems the only easy and cheap way to fix the problem is to grab an n/a 22 from pick n pull next week. What I'm trying to do right now is find out what my compression ratio will be.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT