Seek and ye shall find . . . OBD1 DATALOGGER!!!!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Seek and ye shall find . . . OBD1 DATALOGGER!!!!!

Post by boostjunkie »

Too good to be true?

http://www.pptracing.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=19

Now I need to source a Palm :twisted:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That device appears to be for ALDL... ALDL was used by GM, and maybe other manufacturers. Assembly Line Data Link was a form of onboard diagnostics, just like our cars' onboard diagnostics, but a wholly different standard.

Basically, when EFI was younger, all manufacturers came up with their own types on onboard diagnostics for troubleshooting the engines. The EPA realized this and decided a standard would be important and useful, so they came up with the OBD 2 standard. All previously existing systems were retroactively designated OBD 1. So, OBD 1 isn't actually a standard or anything.

I'm developing a datalogger for our cars, actually... I've managed to talk to my ECU, but I can't make any sense of it yet. I need more free time to reverse engineer the protocol. Sigh. Anybody know someone who has a Select Monitor and the appropriate cartridge for a BC/BF Legacy that might let me use it for a while?

When I do get this stuff figured out, I'll be sure to let you guys know.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I'm developing a datalogger for our cars, actually... I've managed to talk to my ECU, but I can't make any sense of it yet. I need more free time to reverse engineer the protocol. Sigh. Anybody know someone who has a Select Monitor and the appropriate cartridge for a BC/BF Legacy that might let me use it for a while?
You might want to get in touch with one of the master techs at your local subaru dealer. Maybe he/she could help you out . . .

Man, I thought I had scored big time on this one :oops:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

ImageDatalogger

-IggDawg
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't really like my local dealer either here in Upstate NY or at home near DC... They both know their primary target market consists mainly of people who don't know anything about what gems they're buying when they buy Subarus. They both also sell their parts at above-list prices. Gah. The guys at my local place don't really seem to know too much about Subarus, since they also sell a bunch of other import marques. I can't really imagine asking them to let me hack around with their equipment (even though I know my circuits can't damage it).

I do know a guy up here in Trumansburg who's all about repairing Subarus... He's done awesome work on a few of my Soobs already, and he was almost about to do a 5MT conversion on my old Legacy GT. I've never asked him if he had a Select monitor, though... Hmm. Well, I'll give him a free plug. If you're anywhere near the Finger Lakes area of New York state, and need something done on a Subaru of any type, call Mark Mann. He's got a couple of tow trucks (flat bed of course) and also sells some Subarus too.

Does anyone know if the Select Monitor cartridge for the N/A Legacy is different from the one for the turbo?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vrg3 hit it on the head......everyone had different protocols......which is why they came out with OBD2......which is a standard.

I've actually tried to pickup a select monitor.....I'd pay 500-700 for one.......but I've heard they no longer make the older ones.....and the newer ones are like twice that price.

Kent-moore tools makes the select monitors
www.spxkentmoore.com

Do keep us in the know if you get an actual datalogger.....may want to contact Al.....he may have tried this or have access to a select monitor.......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I think that link is bad Josh. We have what is probably one of the best available in select monitors and all the late model cartridges I think the the cost was over 3K. This thing has a dual channel LCD storage scope, dual channel meters, print out and probably several things I haven't found yet. We were using the datalogging when we lost a turbocharged 2.5 motor in a '03 Outback and bought the customer a engine but we learned a lot. I will look at it today and see what I can find on what it can do on the early models. I also have a battery powered Tektronix scope I can use on the ECU in the car.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You use the scope right on the ECU signal lines?

Yeah, I've been working (on and off) on two separate datalogger approaches. The first, that I'm really interested in, is talking to the ECU through the Select Monitor connector. The second is tapping all the ECU's lines and reading them all myself. From what I understand, though, talking to the ECU can get you some more information that it's calculated and stuff, and it'd be simpler and cheaper. I want this to end up running off of pretty much any laptop, so any of us could build and use it.

If I were to ever somehow find myself near Denver, would you be willing to let me play with your Select monitor?
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The scope can be used on the input and output lines and I can tell you what you should expect to see as far as data and voltages would be on almost all of them and there are places in the ECU itself that it can be used with caution. I started getting interested in this when we were in the business of installing Legacy motors in older models and mainly did it for trouble shooting but got interested in the ECU itself and sent money to Japan for info that convinced me that attempting to program or do anything worthwhile with the units was pretty futile without source code and some idea of what the chips were. The problem with trying to read data from the older chips is that they were not designed for any communications other than the trouble codes.
If you should get to Denver stop and see us, we manufacture turbo kits, suspension components,intercoolers,brakes, electronics,and a lot of other interesting things.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool... if I ever get lost with all this stuff I know who to ask. :)

If I ever find myself near Denver there's no chance that I won't try to come visit. Your place sounds like heaven.

The purpose of the communication lines is for diagnostics, but the Select monitor can read all the values of all the sensors at least, right? My understanding was that it basically asked the ECU to read certain values out of memory. In principle, it should be able to read any variable in RAM... Unless I'm way off base.
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I haven't seen a select monitor that would really read values directly from the sensors but there could very well be one around but it would be very difficult. When the signals enter the ECU most go directly to a AtoD converters and the digital output is monitored, conditioned and fed into the system. Then a processor will scan them and compare them to known constants and when one is off for a predetermined number of scans the CPU will then give a trouble code. My idea of heaven might be the turbo on our site www.pdmturbos.com it is a TO66 with a blow off almost the size of my turbo.
AL(CO)