wrx hood scoop

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Thesubielover
Third Gear

wrx hood scoop

Post by Thesubielover »

So I am in the middle of deciding when to start the project of the td04,tmic,hood scoop, mbc, and guages. I just had one question regarding the hood scoop. I know I have to dremel it out and find out a way to get studs through the scoop to the underside of the hood. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on what to use for the hood scoop fasteners, and if anyone had pics on the scoop they installed. maybe even how they taped it off? Anything helps,

Robert.
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: wrx hood scoop

Post by kimokalihi »

Put painters tape on the hood around where you're going to cut. Trace out (very accurately) the outside edge of the scoop. Use the dremel (mine burned out 3/4 through the job) to cut out the hole very carefully. The more you take your time, the cleaner results you'll have. You want to cut through the first layer of sheet metal so the scoop sits flush with the outer layer of the hood. I think you might be able to get the studs on the scoop to protrude enough through the bottom layer to get some nuts on them but the studs are very short so you might have to find a different way to mount it. I know I had to glue in my own custom studs to mount mine but I also didn't flush mount mine which I wish I had because it looks way better.
Last edited by kimokalihi on Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's too bad you live so far away. I could help you with so much on that car.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Man, I'm game to bring the parts down and spend a good day or two with you. I have the scoop, td04 with y pipe, blitz bov, hallman pro mbc, need to buy a boost gauge and afr gauge. I'd like to just swap out the turbo, tmic/bov, and hood scoop. Then do the mbc myself along with guages. How long would the turbo, tmic/bov, take? I can try doing the hood on my own as well. Or we can save it for a project if you come up here.
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha bring it down. We'll bang it out. We could do it in a day I'm sure. My car is down for a while with a bum clutch after the other night. But yeah come down on a wednesday morning or afternoon and we can work on it all day at my moms garage where I do all my work and you can stay down here and we'll have a blast. Hit me up.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bring your dremel though or we'll be cutting it out with a die grinder and that won't turn out as pretty. Haha.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Are you off on a thursday? I can mob down there nwxt thursday early like around 8am or so.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I am off. I'm usually up at 10-11am but I can get up early. Not a problem. weds thursdays are my days off.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Nice, well I get off at 7am tursday and am game to come down there next week oe within the next two for sure. I still need to get an 05 sti up pipe i think for my tdo4. where does the up pipe go to and from?
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

And we can put your dead blow to good use damnit! F the fire wall!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Why the up pipe? Stock up pipe works fine. Up pipe connects the header collector to the turbo. Might need the 3lb mini sledge for the firewall. I don't think the dead blow has what it takes.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Sounds good. If the stock up pipe will work then f**k it! Lol. I was told that I can use all of my vf11 oil/coolant lines too. Heres a link to the thread.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

LegacyW90
In Neutral

Post by LegacyW90 »

I wish I could hurry up and find another job so I could start getting my swap stuff. I'd be down to all work on our cars and shit. I just did an oil change and air filter on my car and it kills me cause I have so much stuff I want to do but I'm stuck right now just doing maintenance shit :(