2 BPV's!?!?!?!

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

2 BPV's!?!?!?!

Post by robertpaige »

This might be weird, but, my FXT BPV on my top mount is leaking. I have a stock bpv that i'm thinking about just putting in between the leaky BPV and the intake elbow. I don't see an issue with that, but what do you think? I'm suffering under boost.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Re: 2 BPV's!?!?!?!

Post by free5ty1e »

An interesting solution -- hmm, as long as your "leaky" valve is of the recirculating type, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

However, I'm assuming that it's not - a leaky recirc valve would at least leak back into the intake and not vent to atmosphere (at least keeping the metered intake air in the system).

Hmm, it's been too long - I don't trust my knowledge as I'm only now just getting back into my cars now that I have a place with a small garage and a decent job again.

How have you arrived at the conclusion that this BPV is leaking? Are you watching boost build and then fall, or something like that, under load? Is the blowoff sounding a bit soft when you shift?

...Or have you observed an issue at idle, where perhaps your BPV is allowing unmetered air into the intake? That sounds familiar... I do believe my GReddy Type S BOV had that issue, was not meant to be used in the way I had it hooked up (no recirc) and it relied on the vaccuum to seal when not on boost. I had to actually replace it with an HKS SSQV which is designed to never leak in either situation, and I haven't had a BOV-related issue since I put that in (aside from when I removed the "whistle" piece from it because it was far too annoying).

Hopefully this helps, I'm a bit rusty. Hey - there's a name for my '92 until I can get it painted! :D

edit: Is the main reason you don't want to use the stock BPV because you like the loud noise of the other valve? If so, you might as well just put the stock BPV back in instead of trying to run 2 in sequence.... IMO
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Why not just replace it if you have two? I'm guessing they won't open all the way like that or won't relieve pressure fast enough.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I have a stock Forester XT BPV recircing into the intake pre-turbo. Someone hammered down the top to try and stiffen the spring it looks like. And the valve is all fucked up now. Getting into boost it's all choppy feeling and I know that it's leaking because if I try to run it atmospheric and plug the intake side, it leaks under boost bad. When it's leaking, it leaks back into the intake, but it's still loosing boost pressure. So I can't use my stock BPV until I get an adaptor plate because there isn't a way to mount it up, because the two BPV's are way different. Kimo, do you still have your old adaptor plate for your TMIC?

I went ahead and plugged the intake, and hooked up the stock BPV to the hose after the TMIC BPV, and it works. Pulls much smoother. Blows off to atmosphere, but I am gonna get it all rigged back into the intake (just didn't have time when I first hooked it up)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The custom one I made? Yeah I still have it and it works but the pipe is too small and it doesn't release pressure fast enough so you get some compessor surge. All that is gone now with my new larger bpv and larger piping. I'm very happy with it so far.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

In theory, you should be ok with the two valves in series like that. It may not be ideal, but it would work as a temporary solution. I would not recommend it as a permenant solution.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Kimo, wanna send me your old adaptor plate!? Just so I can have something for the time being. Can't afford the Wyntomn eBay one right now.. times is hard.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sure, pm me the address. If you've got room for a larger pipe you can remove the one that's in there and drill a larger hole. That's the biggest pipe I could fit because of the stupid iac on the ej20g being right in the way. Otherwise I'd be using my sti bpv! I'd probably sell you that if it fits. Do you have en ej22t? The sti one is way bigger than the stock ej22t so it should work much better.