Torque converter woes

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

6inarow
In Neutral

Torque converter woes

Post by 6inarow »

So I pulled the motor out of my 93 wagon, for the rear main seal and I forgot to put more fluid into the torque converter when I installed it. I start the car and idles fine. When I go to put the car in gear, it won't move! No d321, reverse, nothing. Now is the torque converter trashed, or can I get fluid into the torque converter without removing the engine again?

I know I'm a bit of a noob, but not with cars. This type of mistake makes me feel like its my first time working on a car. How could I have misses that crucial step.

Please help, and thank you in a advance.

Jon

Jon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Torque converter woes

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS Jon.

Did you replace the torque converter or pull it out of the trans? If not, you really shouldn't need to pour trans fluid in the torque converter. If you pulled the torque converter out, did you reseat it all the way? If you did that, and it's not working, then I'd just try pulling the torque converter out again and putting fluid in it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
6inarow
In Neutral

Post by 6inarow »

I had another go at it today and I messed up the torque converter. I also beat up a clip on a hallow shaft. I'm going to get another trans with torque converter on Wednesday, so I'll just slop the motor and trans in as one piece.

I come from a bmw background and I'm just not familiar enough with these engines( now I am! ), and sometimes you learn the hard way.

Is it easier to install a motor and trans as one piece?

Jon
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

6inarow wrote:
Is it easier to install a motor and trans as one piece?

Jon
Hi,
It depends on your tool collection- hoist/load leveler/tranny jack/etc. It's a very tight fit to put them in together, but has been done, from what I've read.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you've got a good enough hoist and someone to help then putting both in at the same time may be better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
6inarow
In Neutral

Post by 6inarow »

Well I got a transmission coming in on Wednesday so the car will be running Wednesday night.

Jon
6inarow
In Neutral

Post by 6inarow »

When the new trans gets here, do you recommend replacing the TC seal and output seal as well? Just want to do some preventative maintenance if I can

Jon
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Yes.....both of those are good to replace. BTW, if you spend some time on the USMBsite, you'll find more info on the TC and seating it and such.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
6inarow
In Neutral

Post by 6inarow »

wtdash wrote:Yes.....both of those are good to replace. BTW, if you spend some time on the USMBsite, you'll find more info on the TC and seating it and such.

TD
Oh boy! Now. My wife won't be able to get me off of more forums! Thanks for the hell, I'm getting the car prepped for the new tabs today, and back on the road she will be.

Jon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Me and a buddy tossed my new engine and trans in as one piece. May be faster, but IMO no easier than doing them separate.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
6inarow
In Neutral

Post by 6inarow »

She is back on the road as of a week ago, but I have another thread started about my linkage issue. Fml, these cars seem more complicated then my 30 year old bimmer.

Jon