Clunking, shaking, help...

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Clunking, shaking, help...

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

Ok so the other day, I started to hear this clunking noise that made noise related to wheel speed but only under acceleration. If I took my foot off the gas pedal and had it in gear while rolling down the street, the noise went away, but as soon as i depressed the gas pedal, it came back. Then later that night, i was cruising down a strait, flat road (no bumps/ruts) and the steering started to vibrate so bad that i had to hold on by both hands and it still felt like a freakin shake-weight. I could let go of the steering wheel but it would shoot strait across three lanes in a split second!

So I decided to park it for a day not wanting to be a hazard on the roads. Today, i jacked up the front end and did the wheel-shaking test, one hand on top and bottom and no wiggle, hand on right and left and no wiggle.

Keep in mind, all of this rattling/clunking noise and shaking is all INCONSISTANT. It doesnt happen all the time, but usually after i go over 40mph, it will begin its clunking and continue even at low speeds. But when trying to show a friend, it wouldnt clunk while just driving in neighborhood. (yes its very confusing and irregular)

My cv axles look brand new and there isnt any leaking or seeping or grease anywhere. The clunking is coming from the front left side. And all wheel weights are on still. While the clunking noise was going, it sounded like it got louder when i turned left and quieter when i turned right.

Im running sti struts that I've had installed for 3-4months now, no trouble. And I need a new clutch and flywheel right now, dont know if this is helping cause a problem.

Thats all I can think of right now, please help
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Clunking, shaking, help...

Post by rallyak »

It really sounds like a bad cv.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

What's the best way to check a cv axle? Just pull and shake to see if its any loose?
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Post by FundamentalyConfused »

How long has it been since the tires were balanced? You could have a broken cord in one of your tires.
1999 Forester S 5MT 200,000 miles and counting.
1990 Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT Retired at 369,471 Miles
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Look under there @ the lower control arm bushings. They can clunk - esp. on our older cars. They are gel-filled and can leak out...see how yours look.

Looks like this...these are from an STI that should work:

Here are the STI transverse link bushings. The part numbers are:
left: B0200FE010
right:B0200FE000

Also, the STI struts are known to 'clunk', but can be rebuilt/regreased - search on NASIOC.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

The tires were mounted and balanced brand new last November. Black Friday special ftw! $280

The struts were regreased before install even though they only have about 50k miles on them. So ill check out the bushings. I'm used to jeep suspension parts and being able to see/find everything easily, our cars are so cramped under there lol
Chris
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I had an intermittent bad vibration/shaking on my Legacy that turned out to be a CV axle.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Ya I replaced my front cv's while doing my clutch and everything went away so I believe it was the cv's, it was a while ago so I forget exactly haha.
Chris