Remote Start/Alarm advice

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ACVWguy
In Neutral

Remote Start/Alarm advice

Post by ACVWguy »

I'm going to be putting in an Avital 5303 Remote Start, Alarm, Keyless entry system into my 1991 Legacy Wagon tomorrow and have spent the past week researching the install to get a good feel for it all. I already know the locations of all the important basic wires that need to be installed to make the remote start and alarm function. I have come up with a few tricks to connect the neutral switch, clutch switch, and e-brake to the alarm system to make this system safe for a 5-spd car.

My issues are these:

I can't think of a good place to mount the module under the dash in which the module can be mounted solidly and won't interfere with pedal travel. Any tips?

And almost any function that is accomplished by the module is accomplished through the use of 200mA grounds that can only support the small current of relay. Due to this, I will have to mount about 5 SPDT relays under the dash as neatly as possible. Does anyone have any idea where to mount these?

And finally, how should I get power to all of these relays? Is there a large positive cable going to the fuse box that I can tap into (fused of course)? Or should I run another wire from the battery to the dash?

Any help is much appreciated,

Austin
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Remote Start/Alarm advice

Post by cj91legss »

It's not a good idea to run a wire from the battery. When I installed my alarm, I pulled power off the ignition harness. It is fused and the wire size is hardly different in size, if not at all.

The brain of the alarm, I tucked mine on the far left hand side of the dash under the column behind the "tray" in the lower dash trim panel. Realistically, You can just zip-tie it to any part of the under dash harness and be fine.

If you choose to mount the brain behind the "tray" you can secure any relays to any part of the under dash harness with zip ties. As long as everything is tucked up high enough, nothing will be in the way of your pedals/feet.

Although you say you have all the wire information for your alarm install, http://www.bulldogsecurity.com is a great source for wire information on all vehicles.

Good luck with the install, It's not as hard as you may expect.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT