Which front seats are you using ?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Which front seats are you using ?

Post by chrisshara »

Just trying to get an idea of what seats have been tried and tested and known to be a good fit in out first gen. Leggy's. I've read quite a bit about doesn't work. Anyone out there have any suggestions that they are happy with ?
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
mike-tracy

Re: Which front seats are you using ?

Post by mike-tracy »

I'm pretty sure that everything from 1990-2007 bolts in, but here's what I've tried in my 91:

1991 SS seats. Fit perfect, no height issues. Not very supportive but super comfortable on long trips.
2000 RS 2.5: fit perfect with no height issues. Sporty and attractive, they support your body well in hard driving, great on long trips. Probably my favorite overall.
1996 Japanese wrx seats. Perfect fitment - these are meant for SKINNY dudes! Most supportive here. Awesome for hard driving. But... Padding is thin, and at 5'11 195 I'm only Just able to fit them. Brutal on your back on long trips!
1998 Legacy GT seats. Fits perfect. Good support and comfortable, nice materials. Great for long trips. Still prefer the RS seats over these.
02 Wrx seats. Driver seat fits fine at lowest height adjustment. Passenger side is not adjustable, and passenger's head will touch ceiling if they're over 5'9. Super supportive, awesome bolstering, nice materials, OKish on long trips. Would be my favorites if not for passenger side issue.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Thank you so much, Mike ! The foam in the seats of these old legacy's…. …..it's like the foam got hard and stale. It just shreds and tears.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
I agree w/Mike's info - except that the newer '05+ Legacy seats don't fit. Been there done that. And might have changed in '00, but can't confirm.

I didn't know about the RS seats...would've guess they'd be like the '02+ WRX, so that is good news. I have '06-'07 Impreza WRX TR seats and they have the same issues as '02+ WRX seats - sit too high on passenger side and are just usable w/the driver's seat lowered.

I may try to 'customize' the stock SS seats next spring. I need to get a new base foam for the driver's side. I'm thinking of using a passenger's side from PullnSave, as they seem to usually survive better. And then build up the 'bolsters' w/some added foam....there are posts on other Subie sites that have some good ideas.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got 05 wrx seats. One piece uppers and they look awesome but they're not nearly as comfortable as the 02-03 wrx seats I used to have and the bolstering sucks compared to the older wrx seats. The seats are stiff as fuck and they sit even higher than the 02-03 wrx seats. Don't even think about 02+ seats if you plan on wearing a helmet. They made the 04+ seats wider with less bolstering to fit larger american drivers and my skinny ass doesn't feel nearly as planted in them.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah 02 WRX driver seat rocks!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Still too tall and not as good looking as 04-05 but def a good seat.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
matt00rs25
First Gear

Post by matt00rs25 »

I've got my 2000 rs leather seats in my 93 ss and they do bolt right in but I really feel like they're just a bit taller than stock but not nearly as tall as wrx seats.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The jdm gc tiger stripe seats are the best I think but they're ugly as hell imo. They sit nice and low with plenty of support. But they're rare and expensive.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

From an L owner viewpoint, the 91 sd seats are a massive upgrade compared to L seats. I have 91 ss in my 93 L and compared to stock, they have taller bolsters and they hold me in place better. But I am pretty small at like 5' 6".
My tw has stock seats and those seem to be the same as the 91 ss seats, they might have a slightly better hold on the back but I haven't been able to compare. They are really comfy and it took a few hours of pure highway driving before I had to stretch.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
GClark
First Gear

Post by GClark »

I got these 08 STI seats for mine. They should be installed this week. The feet on the brackets need to be cut off and the stock feet welded on.

1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just an FYI, if you do not have a sun roof in your first gen Legacy you won't have the height issues people talk about. I have 2002 WRX seats in my Legacy and since it was originally an L without a sunroof I don't have any problems with my head hitting the ceiling (and I have a tall torso).
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BiNiaRiS
First Gear

Post by BiNiaRiS »

I have V5/6 STI front seats in my legacy and they fit perfectly. Same ride height as my 2000 impreza I originally had them in.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I honestly love 93+ SS Seats. The two tone ones. When I traded my car for another SS with 02 WRX seats, I called my buddy and took my old seats back because the SS seats were so much more comfortable.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

kimokalihi wrote:I've got 05 wrx seats. One piece uppers and they look awesome but they're not nearly as comfortable as the 02-03 wrx seats I used to have and the bolstering sucks compared to the older wrx seats. The seats are stiff as fuck and they sit even higher than the 02-03 wrx seats. Don't even think about 02+ seats if you plan on wearing a helmet. They made the 04+ seats wider with less bolstering to fit larger american drivers and my skinny ass doesn't feel nearly as planted in them.

Im 5' 9" and my helmet has like 3 mm's of space, but fits. I have the 05 seats and love them, i drove in a sparco sprint for 5 years (updating as it expired) and this is a nice upgrade lol. The stock seats in the SS are a joke. the first rallyx course i did, i took out the center conceal lol. BTW the 05 back seats bolt right up. no modding.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I've got the matching 05 wrx back seats as well.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I'm a bigger buy and I don't like how the WRX seats cup me, they're a little small.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Great information guys. Thank you, Josh, for the added information in regard to the wagons with the bump in the roof. That just happens to be what I have. Do the '05 rear seats work on wagons ? I gathered that they do work on sedans from Kimo's post. Devilzdriver, I'm not sure what body you have. The STi seats are sick, for those who have time to get creative and know how to weld. I think I'm in a toss up between '02 WRX seats and '05 WRX seats. I know the narrower seats bother me. But I have never actually sat in '02 WRX seats. So, that's the next step.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

chrisshara wrote:Great information guys. Thank you, Josh, for the added information in regard to the wagons with the bump in the roof. That just happens to be what I have. Do the '05 rear seats work on wagons ? I gathered that they do work on sedans from Kimo's post. Devilzdriver, I'm not sure what body you have. The STi seats are sick, for those who have time to get creative and know how to weld. I think I'm in a toss up between '02 WRX seats and '05 WRX seats. I know the narrower seats bother me. But I have never actually sat in '02 WRX seats. So, that's the next step.
They will not work with a wagon, because its a different type of bench. I am 5'9" 185 lbs. Marine so not a small guy.... in regards to 02 or 05 honestly it depends i got my entire interior for a total of 100$ off of a car with less than 30k on the clock lol. The guys kid was being stupid i guess and told him "hes going to strip the car down to nothing and sell shit for cheap" so i got lucky on some dumb kids behalf lol.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

They will not work with a wagon, because its a different type of bench. I am 5'9" 185 lbs. Marine so not a small guy.... in regards to 02 or 05 honestly it depends i got my entire interior for a total of 100$ off of a car with less than 30k on the clock lol. The guys kid was being stupid i guess and told him "hes going to strip the car down to nothing and sell shit for cheap" so i got lucky on some dumb kids behalf lol.

Ooofff, sounds like there is more to that story about the kid parting out and basically giving stuff away. But, it's always fun and cool to score a deal. We put up with our fair share of non-sense, so it all balances out. Or, tries to balance out; at least.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Aki
First Gear

Post by Aki »

I'm using a ver.II STi drivers seat in my '94 SS. It sits just slightly higher than stock but is almost not noticeable. I love the bolstering/support of these seats, not to mention the look.

I'm 6'2" and with a helmet on I need to open the sunroof to avoid ducking. Looking forward to one day eliminating the sunroof entirely.

Still need to swap over the seat belt receiver from the old seat so I can use the auto belt when I don't want to deal with the harness.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

How does your harness mount in there? I want that exact front seat setup, but not if it means a harness bar that stops the seats from reclining.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Went with a set of '05 WRX seats. Set me back $300 shipped.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Aki
First Gear

Post by Aki »

The harness (Schroth Rallye 4 ASM) bolts right in but can be a bit tight between the seat and B-pillar as well as center console. Just be sure to test how you want to route the belts before bending the harness mounting tab things (the ends that are bolted to the car) so you only have to bend them once.

You will want to do a harness bar or partial cage (hoop) with these. With nothing but the harnesses in, you run the risk of the seatback folding in two and compressing your spine along with it if a bad accident/rollover were to occur. I need to get a cage in this thing...
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Here's a comparison of my old stock 91 SS front seat next to a leather seat out of a 1999 Legacy GT Limited SUS. I thought this was interesting so I snapped a picture of it. The newer 99 seat appears to be lower than the stock 91 SS seat. I swapped the fronts and rears a few years ago. I love the leather seats. I'll agree with the others, the 02-03 wrx seats are by far the best bolstered USDM seats we've had available.