Small oil drip, somewhat confused.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Small oil drip, somewhat confused.

Post by aaronllewellyn »

Ever since I got this 1990 legacy ls with an ej22t swap there's been a small oil leak, where one slow drip forms on the bottom of the oil filter. Assuming the problem was the seal on the filter I changed the oil with a new filter but, the slow oil drip remains. Usually happens ONLY while it's running, well only when there's oil circulating/pressurizing the system. Valve covers look clean, front seal isn't visibly leaking into the timing cover or anything, it's a really slow leak anyways.

Last time I looked under the car, when I changed the oil there seemed to be a small loop of oil soaked heater hose, right near the left of the filer It's keeping me up at night.

Has anyone ever had a similar, or the exact same problem. I really pray it's not some major problem.

Engine has 127k miles. the filter's a fram ultra from AAP

EDIT: after some reading, some people have said head gaskets, and one said the problem is non oem oil filters, sort of like looking up a minor illness on web MD and seeing CANCERR

2nd EDIT: must be the oil cooler seal, apparently I DO know how to use Google. ha.
lucas
Third Gear

Re: Small oil drip, somewhat confused.

Post by lucas »

i had a similar problem once after doing the timing belt the cam gear seal on that side didnt get fully seated and was leaking a small amout of oil onto the exhaust and around that area. Also had another similar leak once from the cam vent hose on the top of the valve cover ion that side hose clamp was not tight enough and was causing a leak.

Id suggest getting some degreaser spray down the under side then wash it off, Run the car see where your leaking from. My monies on a cam gear seal.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

lucas wrote:i had a similar problem once after doing the timing belt the cam gear seal on that side didnt get fully seated and was leaking a small amout of oil onto the exhaust and around that area. Also had another similar leak once from the cam vent hose on the top of the valve cover ion that side hose clamp was not tight enough and was causing a leak.

Id suggest getting some degreaser spray down the under side then wash it off, Run the car see where your leaking from. My monies on a cam gear seal.
my valve cover vent hose doesn't even have a clam on it... although it's not leaking sufficient oil, (that's getting replaced) Just got the car a little while ago.

how difficult is replacing a cam seal? like whole engine overhaul or a few bolts here or there. not very familiar with Subaru it's my first. I do have the Haynes,

I think it may have something to do with the oil line going to the filter from the cooler(?) it's really degraded with some china clamps on it, im assuming one may be loose going to the filter point.

is it a very harmful leak? assuming it could be the cam seal.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Does your legacy have the factory oil cooler? Ive noticed my oil cooler leeks a small drip to the bottom of the filter. When I took my oil cooler off, the gasket was almost paper thin.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

cj91legss wrote:Does your legacy have the factory oil cooler? Ive noticed my oil cooler leeks a small drip to the bottom of the filter. When I took my oil cooler off, the gasket was almost paper thin.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I believe so, I'm not going to worry until spring in that case, a few drips here or there will be ok as long as I'm not losing a quart every 5000mi...
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

no man not hard at all but you will have to re do your timing if it is a cam seal. look under the passenger side timing belt cover for oil dripping.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

like i said clean first then look for a leak
1993 legacy ss "Shela"