Low electricity and acceleration shaking

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jmfpEJ22T
First Gear

Low electricity and acceleration shaking

Post by jmfpEJ22T »

Hey everyone I have a 93 touring wagon with a jdm ej20g and recently I've been having problems with acceleration and very dim headlights even though they are new. It seems like it has slight difficulty starting up but it idles and revs fine. The hesitation and shaking are more prominent in lower gears when the acceleration is sharper and when taking turns when the throttle is down. It seems like it's an an ignition problem but I have no idea where to start other than spark plugs which I have replaced. I keep replacing things trying to fix it but I need to know what's going on. Any help will be appreciated.
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Low electricity and acceleration shaking

Post by jefferson »

I think I would go over all the grounds to make sure they are making good contact and have the alternator checked to see if it is putting out properly.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
jmfpEJ22T
First Gear

Post by jmfpEJ22T »

Do you think it's shorting out?
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

alternator.?
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
jmfpEJ22T
First Gear

Post by jmfpEJ22T »

Wouldn't a bad alternator kill my battery eventually? I've been driving it like this for months and it's always started and ran the same. Do you think it could be the injectors or fuel pump?
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I have read about quite a few issues related to a bad alternator and yes it would kill the battery over time. In your first post you said the car was acting up recently and now you are saying you have been driving it for months like this. Dim lights, starting difficulty and driveability issues sounds to me like it could be an alternator that isn't up to snuff.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

in my history with shitty EA82 alts, when the voltage regulator goes out your volts will increase in relation to rpm's.. like going from 10-19v durring the rev range
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you had the alternator & battery tested? Most parts stores will test them for free. I will note that testing the alternator in the car may have a false positive that it's ok, so if you can remove it and bring it in to test, that would be better.

Also, if you have a voltmeter you can check the system voltage yourself at idle and as you raise the engine rpms.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

Like Josh said start with the alternator and battery. I changed the alternator on every 10+yr old Subaru I have ever owned.

I also discovered that many ej20g ecu's fail with age. I'll post up what I find when I open mine up
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/