Non turbo engine build

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Non turbo engine build

Post by cj91legss »

Snap a few pics of each head and we'll be glad to help. However a quick way to determine if you have some turbo heads is to look at the back of the passenger head and see if there's a 5/8" tube a few inches long going from the bottom of the head towards the top of the head. On a turbo head this would be the oil return line.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah the second gen legacies got the roller rockers. I can't comment on which cam is "hotter", however just micing them won't really tell you because the cam profiles are going to be different due to the different rocker arm assembly. I have not been able to find any concrete data on the stock cams. Delta Cams can probably tell you any differences between the cams and can make the cam profiles to suit either type of cam rocker assembly.

I suppose if you have the equipment you could degree the cam and check lift/duration between the two heads.

Where is the plug you're talking about?

Here are some pictures of the ej22t heads.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/09
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... eadwork/10

I've got many more pictures between the two rebuilds if you care to browse

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ages/ej22t
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... t_headwork
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Turbo heads are very similar to na heads. The reason you have the plugs in the heads now are because they are the same casting for both sides. The block off on the passengers side head can be removed and the bearing extension from the drivers can be bolted on. The other head cap can be pressed out to allow the cam to run through for use on the passengers side.

Another use for the block off on the passenger head, overseas some of these engines were ran off a distributor, that spot is where it would mount.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Great info guys, yeah those plugs are above and to the back of both cam caps, the plugs are scribed "void if removed"..maybe just removable for service I guess.
I'm not seeing a return tube of course because the motor was n/a just so much difference between the two
that I kinda tripped out a little. No biggy I bet.

Cleaning the old headgasket material I see some major pitting and missing material from between the two center studs right where the center jackets are, so fml
I think these heads are garbage too. I will take these heads to a machine shop but my machinining experience tells me they will have to deck a couple thousandths out to get them flat. I'm already trying to get a high compression ratio but taking that much material out of the heads may put me over the valve clearance threshold.
2000 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- wifeys whippopatamus
1990 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- all mine, and looks it:)
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Those caps on the heads came from a machine shop, either the heads have been rebuilt or the entire motor.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

I figured that in the back of my mind, there is high temp aluminum paint on the heads and everything was torqued within an inch
Of its life, whoever rebuilt this motor or heads did a piss poor job at it and probably didn't last too long before it was burning oil and
water. Oh and the jack asses dropped a bottle of rad weld in there too. Good thing I'm replacing everything now. Cheers to shit mechanics!
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I've ran across a few engines done like that in my days. Hopefully the heads can be salvaged. Or you can find another pair that are good.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

At least they keep us busy right...seen some bad stuff done mechanically too but in my time in body work I
Have seen some s*** that could get people indicted. Insurance companies too, I can't believe what they overlook
or just plain miss.

Today was pretty cool, got to spend another full day cleaning these heads up and prepping them up for the
rebuild. Busted out a pretty good blend and polish hopefully they will flow a touch better now. I kept the material
removal to a minimum and used a medium ball end and a 5/8ths diameter 80grit flapper wheel on the die grinder
to give it a slight slickness. Next up for some smoothing is the exits of the intake manifold runners and throttle body
entrance.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Image cleaned up the ports and left them a little rough throughout the eexhaust end just cleaned that side well and ran a 60g paper roll in it.
Last edited by fre3k5h0w on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Image there we go..
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Image blended the casting marks cleaned it well..
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

blended that lip down into the throttle chamber all the way around and polished it pretty smooth in there, the entrances to the runners remain rough and even out in the exits to the heads. I think it will breathe better but only time will tell.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Image just for kicks and the whole motor is going to be seen when its in, I'm leaving out the a/c and power steering (maybe), I want to try to depower the rack and see how it feels but unsure yet..Haha.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

A few weird things I noticed about the fuel injector set up in the manifold but only one
sticks out right now. Why dont the two rear injector nozzles extend into the valve entrance
like the other two, they were super extra dirty too. I'm wondering if I can use my 98 impreza obs rails and injectors in there, the car they came out of was a 5 speed 22e also. Have to get them out of storage. I have the manifold wiring from that car too..
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

From the one picture you have of the intake manifold it looks like you either have different injectors in there or the tip of the injector has broken off.

These are what the 90-91 AT injectors should look like

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... injectors/

The 90-91 MT injectors are slightly different and the 92-94 non-turbo injectors are also different and have a slightly higher flow rate. I don't know if the 98 Impreza injectors would work. I swapped the 92-94 injectors in my 90 when it was non-turbo and it ran rich with the 90 ECU. I swapped in the 92 ECU and everything was alright. Keep in mind different injectors will have different latency settings so that can affect things as well. I would recommend keeping the same style injector as you have now.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

They don't look broken, no evidence of residual materials or tool marks, the part looks manufactured. The front two injectors have a black top and the rear
ones have grey tops. The grey tops have the normal looking nozzles, black tops have no nozzle..weird. The car ran pretty good when I got it despite bad
headgaskets and oil leaks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, then you have different injectors. Check out this page,

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ectors.jpg

More than likely someone put in the auto injectors. Since your car was originally MT and the ECU is matched to it, I'd recommend getting two of the MT injectors to replace those automatic injectors. The latency values are different, and I had thought the fuel rails were different, which could cause them to leak.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The heads and manifold are looking good.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Wow thanks for kicking ass josh..that's funny how or why that happened not
to mention that the car seemed fine for a 40 mile trip home with it. No notable
fueling issues. New injectors it is then.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

86BRATMAN wrote:The heads and manifold are looking good.
Thanks man, I hope it does some good things, now I'm off to look for injectors
and rails, maybe toy around and open them up too. Has anyone tried the phenolic spacers from grimmspeed? The theory sounds pretty legit, I just guess that the I/m bolts have to be at least 6mm longer.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would caution against modifying the injectors since once you do that you will need some sort of piggy back fuel controller to get the AFR's back in line. I'd suggest trying to find a decent set of used MT injectors for your car and if you think you need new rails, get them as well.

Swapping in different injectors or playing around with them after the fact isn't too hard and can be done without yanking the engine.

If you want to do anything, I'd suggest going with the red 92-94 non-turbo injectors and rails. The catch is that you would also need the 92-94 ECU and would need to swap over to the JECS MAF sensor and the rotary type IAC valve....so it may not be worth messing with.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Well that's not a bad idea I can probably get the injectors and rails at the cheap u pull here, they have 4 first gens there. I already have the rotary iacv from my other 22e and wiring for an early 97 2.2, if I'm not mistaken the changes were mid year after July 97 to the injectors. I had the red top injectors in my 4eat bd, did they have red tops in the early phase 1 5mt 1st gens?

I am having hard time finding a 25d block there are all kinds of phase 2 motors around here though. When I was looking for the 22e replacement last winter all I could find were 25d's..I had to order the 2.2 with than 80k on it ($$). I did actually find an eg33 for sale, tried to talk the owner into letting me pull the pistons out of it, he didn't bite though.lol. no way am I going to finish this before march.

The 90 rails are fine and the jecs fpr looks brand new, I just like to mess with stuff
like a kid in a toy store..always got the can I make it better voice in my head.lol.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I'd scoop one of those ej251s up if you're going to build a frankenmotor. They're a better bottom end, and will give you a slightly higher cr than a 25d.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Thanks bratman, That's what I was thinking was going to happen as well, I didn't even think about the cr of the phase 2 motors. I think ill have to have a custom gasket made for it though. All the second phase motors 251/252 are basically the same right, I thought
it was kind of strange that the motor in my 3rd gen is a 252, but there isn't any real information on that specific motor
anyway the 3 motors that are available are the ej222, 252, 251. The 252 has the least mileage on it at
90k.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

As long as it's not a pzev engine it will be fine. The pistons on those have large domes at the top and bottom that do not allow any other heads to fit. They can be easily identified with the heads off by the pistons, or with the heads on by the very large odd shaped exhaust ports. The ej222 is another very good candidate, you will still have the shorter ej22 stroke so it will be a peppy revving engine, and get a good cr bump with phase 1 heads. Actual compression ratio with the ej222 and ej22e heads would be slightly lower that ej251/22e but not by very much. I'd have to dig up the specs on that particular piston to call it precisely but I'd estimate 10.5:1 ish.