hesitation issues

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: hesitation issues

Post by alexandermf »

I've been running the same catless Invidia tbe for over a year with no problems
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

alexandermf wrote:I have the same hesitation... Never had it before, just recently started! Its like I watch the boost gauge go up but the car feels like its holding itself back and sometimes ill get spurts of no hesitation. But wot it almost feels as bad as limp mode... I got some cel codes on (vss, inhibitor switch, neutral switch) from my manual swap but none of those should be causing this hesitation. I'm stumped, its frustrating
You really need to try and address the codes. Does your speedo work? If not, you need to get that working. The ECU does some funky stuff without a proper speed signal. What are the specific codes you are getting when you check the ECU?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

a big difference with mine, is that 99% of the time, under wot, it goes away. i ordered a brand new diamond coilpack from a stealership and plan to get it in next week sometime. ill let you guys know what kind of effect that has on the situation.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Josh:

Ok so got a lot done today...

Replaced:

Pcv valve
All spark plugs, ngk from Subaru
Oil change
Speed sensor cable

Sooo my cars hesitation has gotten a lot better, the old spark plugs were all white/corroded lookin and yellow ish. The new ones feel great, the speed cable all working now is great as well.....but my car still has a slight hesitation issue at any boost level and I can notice it most wot. If I push the gas pedal in it will definitely delay a second before the boost starts to kick in. Once it kicks in it kinda builds up(not smooth boost through rising rpms) and then the injectors will still go static towards the end around 5-6k. I'm gonna swap chris's maf sensor over to mine tomorrow and see if that does anything. Other than that I'm out of ideas on curing this random hesitation. Its still intermittent as well, some drives ill have it, others I won't and I can tell the difference by thr afr not maxing out/injectors going static even at higher boost and butt dyno can feel it. It usually has drives with hesitation...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I replied to your other post, and you've got a few different things you're trying to chase. I think you may have some different issues, but I do think some of your symptoms are related.

My general consensus is your ECU is overfueling, hesitation, black smoke, and maybe other things are symptoms. We don't know what the cause is right now, but it could MAF related, wiring issues related to the MT swap, coolant temp sensor, etc.

Since putting in the speedo, have you cleared and rechecked the ECU for codes? If so, what has come back?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Ridechild-any updates on your hesitation issue? I'm still in the same boat after replacing a lot of parts and checking all my silicon. My next guess was to buy a new alt but both you and cj said you got a new one and still have the hesitation. Hopefully we can all fix it soon, mine is literally the same type of symptoms as you...
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i havent got a new alternator yet, the one i did install was new to me, but ended up burning out pretty quick. i still havent installed my brand new coilpack yet as work has been busy, but pretty soon. im also really close to doing my 20g ecu swap, so we will see if that does it.
does your car run any better when youre at a higher altitude? when i gain about 3500 ft in elevation, i work at a ski resort, my car runs like an absolute dream haha
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

It does run better at higher alt and colder temps as usual the turbo loves it lol. My cars hesitation has been cured though. Turned out to be a faulty maf. Running like a raped ape again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

well then good thing im doing my 20g ecu swap haha maybe that will cure mine too
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

so after my z4/jecs maf/440 it has gone away! oh and i also put that brand new coil pack in! so one of those fixed it for me!
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

My hesitation issue was also very troublesome to track down. I replaced the injectors, installed a Walbro 255 lph, fixed multiple vacuum leaks, replaced the coil pack, used a boost leak tester I built and fixed every boost leak, this all helped a little. Finally I replaced the MAF and I was golden!
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Glad to hear the maf worked for you! It seems to be a very sensitive issue on these cars lol. In the two years I've almost owned my car I've gone through 7, 4 being in the last two weeks and the other 3 when I was having electrical issues but jeez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk