New Tleg owner, awd not engaging?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Hey everyone I'm posting for my friend who bought his first Tleg last night! Super excited to get another one in our Colorado Springs group but we are having trouble getting it to awd the po said something about a wire under the dash he installed that needs to be cut or taken out to permit the awd. I only know about the fwd fuse and taking out part of driveshaft to make it fwd so I'll let my friend Robert chime in here once he makes an account and hopefully we can fix this ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Tleg owner, awd not engaging?

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, unless something has been molested, the FWD fuse in the engine bay is the only thing that should keep it in FWD.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robert.miller
In Neutral

Post by robert.miller »

Hi guys my names Robert i just bought my first Tleg. The guy i got it from installed a wire for the awd to disengage and become fwd. The wire is under the dash and he had told me to disconnect it and it would engage the 50/50 awd. i tried several times and it will not engage. fwd fuse under the hood is out. any ideas on what els it could be?
thanks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS Robert.

Have you traced the wiring under the dash to see exactly what was done? If there is no voltage going to the duty c solenoid (which is responsible for AWD) it will cause 50/50 torque split. So if you truly don't have AWD, then there is some voltage that is being applied to that solenoid to make it FWD only.

Does the power light flash at all during start up?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

robert.miller
In Neutral

Post by robert.miller »

The wires run into a black connector on top of the transmission. When the wire is unplugged the power light flashes during start up. When the wire is plugged in the power light does not flash during start up.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How are you checking whether the AWD works or not?

Have you tried putting the gear selector in 1st and then checked whether the AWD is working? The AWD mapping is much more agressive when the gear selector is physically in either the 1, 2, or 3 vs. D
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

robert.miller
In Neutral

Post by robert.miller »

I still have snow and ice on my road so I'm trying it there. I've tried 1,2, and 3rd and only FWD is working my rear wheels are not even trying to spin.
robert.miller
In Neutral

Post by robert.miller »

My ABS light is staying on at all times too. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

My abs light is always on cuz my fuse is pulled so we can check that tomorrow when i see you. Josh I'll be looking over the Tleg tomorrow and try to get more info on what this wire is and why it's there. I personally haven't seen it yet. I'm wondering why the pwr light comes on when he takes the wire out though, maybe po owner funked around with the solenoid wiring

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

So josh I'm kind of confused what's wrong with Roberts awd here. The po said he didn't do the wiring but he said he had the awd work for him before. I'm gonna make a paint image and post it up here how the wiring looks. It's pretty much a wire spliced off the black square connector above the tranny, both ends running through firewall to underneath the dash with connectors. So if you have them connected it's supposedly fwd and when you disconnect it's supposed to be awd. But Roberts awd never engages whether it's connected or disconnected under the dash. I'll take a couple pics as well

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

So there's the pictures. Po said it could be the duty c solenoid went out or that something else in the tranny went out. He gave us a parts tranny if we need it but the trans itself shifts great and makes no noises so I'm thinking it could just be the wiring is fudged

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alex,

I can't tell from the pics, but are those wires hooked up to anything inside the cabin? Can you take a picture or provide any information to exactly where those wires are connected to the wiring at the transmission connector/plug or if they tap into the wiring at the trans connector/plug.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Next time I see Robert I will take note of the exact wire it's spliced off of. But the two yellow wires run through the firewall so they can be connected to each other inside the cabin under the dash. They are coming off the trans connector. Like tapped into it. The po said the wire is for the duty c solenoid. I'll get Robert to go and take closer pics and post them here

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Josh I'm gonna attempt a paint picture and post it here to help visualize and Robert will be posting pics up close and detailed to show where in the connector it's coming off
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Don't laugh hahaha, ok laugh. This is how it looks to me.

Purple=electrical butt connectors
Yellow=the culprit wires
Blue=all the random wire pins coming off the connector. I'll get Robert to tell us exactly which one
Red=car firewall

robert.miller
In Neutral

Post by robert.miller »

So here are the best pictures I can get of the wire. The po said that wire is supposed to act as the AWD fuse. When it's plugged in it's supposed to be FWD, when unplugged AWD. When I have it unplugged and start the car the power light flashes 16 times. From what I have seen people are saying the 16 flashes means it's the duty c solenoid?? Image

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alex,

Is there anyway to find out exactly what pin that wire is going to?

Regarding the power light. The power light blinking 16 times at startup is a default and just means something is not right. You need to check the TCU for codes to determine exactly what code it is. I would highly recommend doing that when you connect the wire.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Sorry it's been busy and cold here and just got around to seeing which ion it is. Idk what pin is what anyways but hopefully with these pics you might be able to tell josh

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Also Hally(Robert), his manual light on dash cluster is on all the time. It won't toggle between by pressing the manual bottom on the shift lever. I'm guessing it has to deal with the funky wiring

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

If you zoom in you see the wire/pin by itself at bottom of plug in pic next to 3 blank spots where pins could go. The wire/pin that is being spliced off of is directly above and to the left of that single wire at the bottom of the square plug. Looks brown?

Second pic shows the other side of the plug. Third is close up. According to my first picture the pin/wire being spliced off of would be (starting from top left) two spots down, one spot right. any idea josh on what this pin is connected to for the tranny operation?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alex,

From the spare trans plugs I have, your pics, and the factory diagrams I am pretty confident that is pin 11 of the B16 connector, which is for the duty c solenoid. So it appears the wiring is correct, however I would guess the wiring may be corroded which is causing the power light to go on and the AWD not to work.

I'd suggest either trying to reconnect the wires at the trans connector there using the existing wiring or use a small amount of extra wire with water tight butt connectors. If the copper wire looks dirty try and clean it off a little bit before making splice.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT