Possible Steering Rack Leak????

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

94EJ22
First Gear

Possible Steering Rack Leak????

Post by 94EJ22 »

I've been leaking various fluids, initially I thought it was just oil and I was looking under my Legacy and it looks like I'm leaking power steering fluid out of the passenger side boot. Also, whatever the boot is covering looks rather seepy and looks to be covered in power steering fluid. I check the fluid while the car was cold and it was down tiny bit. It's been dripping down on the exhaust too. How bad does this look and is it my actual steering rack that is leaking?

This picture is from the center of the car looking towards the front wheel on the passenger's side, what looks like power steering fluid is about to drip on to the exhaust header and the area looks really seepy

This picture is from under the boot, the top of the picture is pointed towards the front wheel on the passenger's side and the bottom of it is towards the center of the car, what looks like power steering fluid is about to drip on to the exhaust header

This picture is from the center of the car towards the front wheel on the passenger's side, part of the boot is covered in fluid and part of it is not

This picture is from the center of the car, you can see what looks like power steering fluid about to drip on to the exhaust

Side Note: the boot was replaced in October or November of 2013
1994 Subaru Legacy L Winestone Pearl
silver03
First Gear

Re: Possible Steering Rack Leak????

Post by silver03 »

It looks as though the seal in the rack is leaking. A lot of that PS fluid will end up in the boot. Replace rack or rebuild it. I have seen tutorials on rebuilds but never have done one. I have replaced a rack and it really wasn't as bad as I had thought.
94EJ22
First Gear

Re: Possible Steering Rack Leak????

Post by 94EJ22 »

silver03 wrote:It looks as though the seal in the rack is leaking. A lot of that PS fluid will end up in the boot. Replace rack or rebuild it. I have seen tutorials on rebuilds but never have done one. I have replaced a rack and it really wasn't as bad as I had thought.
Thanks for the response, I'll have to look at how to change it then.
1994 Subaru Legacy L Winestone Pearl