4EAT front differential changing (4.11 to 3.90)

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aaronllewellyn
First Gear

4EAT front differential changing (4.11 to 3.90)

Post by aaronllewellyn »

Is this possible? changing a 96 4EAT Differential (currently a 4.11) into a 3.9 (from the original 4EAT), I read somewhere it was possible but I have no Idea where to start... or the process involved. is it easier to just install the 4.11 rear differential...?

I'm more than capable of changing a transmission/ engine just not sure what's involved to make a 4.11 4EAT a 3.90 4EAT.

I'm getting desperate, I really need my car driveable again
mike-tracy

Re: 4EAT front differential changing (4.11 to 3.90)

Post by mike-tracy »

It would be far easier to replace your rear diff than swapping the front differential. That takes very specialized knowledge to successfully reassemble an auto.

I don't remember what year turbo you have, but if you're worried about keeping the LSD (if you have one), you can swap the ring and pinion from the 4.11 onto the LSD and reassemble everything in the 3.9's housing.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

+2 on it being far easier to swap the rear end. I had an ATSG service guide for the 4EAT, and believe me, you don't wanna crack that sucker open if you need your car back on the road, lol.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

mike-tracy wrote:It would be far easier to replace your rear diff than swapping the front differential. That takes very specialized knowledge to successfully reassemble an auto.

I don't remember what year turbo you have, but if you're worried about keeping the LSD (if you have one), you can swap the ring and pinion from the 4.11 onto the LSD and reassemble everything in the 3.9's housing.
The car's a 1990 legacy Ls with a transmission and engine from a 1991 SS (as well as a few panels, hood, trunk-lid hah.)

Sweet!, so that ultimately gives you a 4.11 that's a LSD?

Do we have a decent write up on changing the ring and pinion?

EDIT: found any FD ratio I wanted at opposedforces.com, under "train > Differential(transmission) > gear set-hypoid. This will be helpful in the PnP yard.

Thanks for the input guys!
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

mike-tracy wrote:It would be far easier to replace your rear diff than swapping the front differential. That takes very specialized knowledge to successfully reassemble an auto.

finally got down to it the last few weeks and learned the rear axles are NOT compatible with the NON-LSD diff. so woo here I am thinking I'll have a car again.. >.>
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The old LSD diff has different length stubs. Perhaps you left the stubs attached to the axles? They are required.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.