95 legacy wagon L with auto trans swapping in a 5 speed

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

droach
In Neutral

95 legacy wagon L with auto trans swapping in a 5 speed

Post by droach »

Just wondering if any1 has done this? I have basically a 95 subaru legacy wagon L, ej22, with auto trans and wanting to replace with a 5 speed. I hoping to wire in the 3 plugs from 5 speed and not have to do anything with auto trans wiring harness. Need to know where to wire in the 3 plugs from the 5 speed into my harness. I'm sure 1 is neutral switch and 1 reverse lights but not sure which 1. I'm not finding a lot when it comes to wiring diagrams for subarus (that are actuate). There are 3 plugs, 1 (3 wire plug) towards the front of trans on the top left if you are looking at from front of car, and 2 (2 wire) plugs on the right side of trans that r few inches apart. If there is anything else I may need to know please help me out, (all the gearing is the same, from trans and rear end everything came from same car, so no worries there) wiring is my problem.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 95 legacy wagon L with auto trans swapping in a 5 speed

Post by Legacy777 »

I recommend browsing through the sticky threads in each forum. There is a plethora of information, including information on the 5spd swap & wiring diagrams.

Here is my AWD & 5spd swap info. You can ignore the AWD swap part, but the part about the 5spd swap should give you an idea of what's involved. The wiring pins at the ECU are going to be different as well as the transmission plugs. However the functions of them are going to be the same. Read over my write-up, check out the stuff you need to know forum for links to where you can find wiring diagrams, and if you have questions let us know.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=18370
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Josh's link will pretty much cover you except for the ecu pinout which is 95 specific. You'll need to ground pin 50 for the transmission identifier.
droach
In Neutral

Post by droach »

Thanks Josh some of the info should help but still running into the same problem, totally different wiring and plugs, ecu. My ecu has 1 solid plug not 3 separate plugs. None of the pin outs r the same. I will try looking at the pin #50, hopefully that's it. Here's my ECU 2D 22611 AB414 JA18000 RT8 4912
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Check out this thread.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=26690

There is some specific info in it for your 95. Also on that site there is a thread that has download links for almost every year FSM, so finding the 95 FSM will definitely help you out with pinouts.