boost control solenoid clicking/ car backfires

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

reecers
First Gear

boost control solenoid clicking/ car backfires

Post by reecers »

So i think i have a combination of things going on. I have checked for CEL and nothing. I just replaced the O2 sensor (CEL was on for it). The car is pretty sluggish and once it starts making boost it will backfire every now and again. Also a weird thing I am fixing the brake lines (rusted out) and have the back seat out of the car. For whatever reason I decided to check the wiring on the fuel pump and when the car is on the fuel pump wires feel hot to the touch.

Now with the BCS it will click back and forth when the key is in the on position. Also the fans on the car go on and off.

this is the car

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22345

Now I was thinking it was the gas, but I have emptied the tank one time before and put new gas in and still the same issue. Compression is fine and no unsual subie noises.

Also i keep looking for it, but how do you check for CEL. I connected the black connectors and the check engine light just flashes at me. I keep reading something about green connectors?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: boost control solenoid clicking/ car backfires

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Sure sounds like the GREEN connectors are connected, which would cause the fans to cycle and other connectors to click on/off (diagnostic mode).

They are under there. Either by the right knee or left knee by the ECU. They may still be taped up to the harness.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
reecers
First Gear

Post by reecers »

thanks wtdash, I am pretty sure you are correct, will have to check when i get home. Still the problem still is there. I am thinking something might be up with the fuel pump so I am going to start there.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, disconnect the green connectors under the dash.

Regarding the fuel pump wires, the connector under the seat can go bad. Your easiest and best solution is to pull just the power and ground (largest of the wires) wires from the plastic connector (as those are the ones that are creating the added resistance/heat), cut off the factory connectors, and crimp on new insulated spade connectors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
reecers
First Gear

Post by reecers »

Legacy777 wrote:Yes, disconnect the green connectors under the dash.

Regarding the fuel pump wires, the connector under the seat can go bad. Your easiest and best solution is to pull just the power and ground (largest of the wires) wires from the plastic connector (as those are the ones that are creating the added resistance/heat), cut off the factory connectors, and crimp on new insulated spade connectors.
cool thanks josh, yea this car has been a bit of a nightmare and I haven't put too much time into it. The trans blew 2nd gear a a few weeks after owning it and the brake lines were rusted. Not to mention how it is running in its current state. I am hoping to bring it back to some of its former glory.