1994 legacy touring wag code 35 after tmic td04l install.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CCOOL8
In Neutral

1994 legacy touring wag code 35 after tmic td04l install.

Post by CCOOL8 »

After the modifications the car ran great but yesterday it had a cel and will only rev slowly to 3000. everything appears to be correctly hooked up and hoses and vacum lines are tight and new. My question is do they just go out instantly? Or does it sound like there's a different problem? when the code came on a boot had popped off between the maf and the intake port on the turbo so lots of un metered air got into the system. I have reset the cpu several times but the code is right back instantly. Thanks for any help you can give. Chris
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: 1994 legacy touring wag code 35 after tmic td04l install

Post by cj91legss »

Code 35 is the canister purge solenoid. It wont affect drive ability. It's part of the charcoal canister system that burns off excess fuel vapors. There are two vacuum ports on the solenoid. One of them get tied back into the intake manifold, the other I forget what happens. If one or both of those lines are open it can create a vacuum leak, but nothing as big as causing your slow rev to 3k rpm. If I remember correctly, it's under the passenger side of the intake manifold and is quite hard to get to. One vac line goes from the solenoid to the throttle body. The other may go to the canister? Someone else can chime in on this.

As far as your problem, you said "Do they just go out instantly?" Are you referring to the turbo? On your TMIC, did you look under it to make sure all the Y-Pipe hoses are properly connected?

On the top mount, there's probably 4 hoses or so that can pop off under boost, (Post turbo to be specific) which would be my guess at the moment. Especially since you stated that everything before the turbo is tight and you double checked when a hose popped off.

How about your BPV hose? what did you do to hook that up?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I understand the purge system fairly well, the "do they just go out?" was refering to the solenoid under the intake. The turbo is a factory tdo4l and the inter cooler is off of an 06 wrx. the y pipe is on tight for sure as are all hoses includint the two on the solenoid connected at the throttle body. i ran the bpv dorectly from the tmic to the boot directly between the maf and the turbo inlet. preasure nipple on turbo is hooked up to top side of bcv waste gate is hooked to the bottom poort on the bcv. onder test mode i can hear the secondary bypass solenoid opperating correctly with the clicks and stuff while testing. There could be a loose line somewhere but it's not able to rev fast enough to build boost. Also the car sounds amazing no ticks no knocks running perfect just cant escape safe mode...
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I may have mis lead you saying the hoses were tight and good prior to the install. they were bad. very bad i replaced them all.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I'm wondering if something might have accidentally been connected in the wrong place? Another thing to ask is, did you make sure your BPV was flowing in the correct direction?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

yes i believe so, arrow pointing toward intake boot no interuptions in the hose. My only questionable junction is i connected the pcv hose, to the i believe crank case breather that starts below the tps i t'd those two directly together and into the intake boot.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I verified your BCS connections on my 91. You have those right. Would you be willing to take some pictures and post them. I know it can be difficult to get some good angles. That PCV setup should work since the "F" Pipe is basically a T itself.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I can try after work. And I did use the f pipe as you mentioned. It ran great for a few hours but first hard acceleration this is what I got. i seems like an air leak but if so it would have to be massive and i cant hear air gushing or find a fitting thats not completly tight. its just weird...
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Very, well get back to me/us with some photos as soon as you can.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

I wont be able to post pictures as my work comp has security for that and we dont own a computer... I know it makes things a bit more difficult. I ran the hose from the bottom of the boost control solenoid into a T with the return from the charcoal canister between the llittle check valve thing rather than straight into the intake boot. It doesnt seem like that would create a problem but who knows. The factory vacuum diag shows the bottom nipple on the boost control solenoid going directly to the intake boot. Do you think re routing that into the canister's return line could be the cause?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, that could cause a problem. You need to route the BCS's bottom port directly to the intake piping post MAF and pre-turbo.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CCOOL8
In Neutral

Post by CCOOL8 »

Thanks guys. I'll re route the bottom hose today and let you know if that solves my issue.