4eat differntial problem?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

familywagon
In Neutral

4eat differntial problem?

Post by familywagon »

I recently purchased a well cared for 93 turbo wagon.(I have a whole box of records from the original owner) The Motor seems very strong. The tranny also seems very strong, as it shifts well. It has had a tranny put in it though.

The issue I'm having is during slow right hand turns, mostly tight, I get a surging or binding in the car. It's super faint, but it's noticeable. Like it grabs, let's go, grabs etc. It does not chirp the tires or buck on u - turns. It also doesn't do anything weird when I shut it off. No lights on the dash. Just the power light for a second when I start the car.

I'm guessing something is starting to go bad. I changed the fluid recently. Seemed to somewhat help.

Could this be a duty c issue? Do 4eats have a viscous unit?

Thanks
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: 4eat differntial problem?

Post by James614 »

The way you say "super faint" makes me think you're just feeling the AWD work and not that its necessarily acting up. The grab and let go thing is exactly how the center transfer clutch pack works to drive the rear wheels. Doesn't sound to me like you have anything to worry about, depending on how faint you're talking about. Though to me super faint sound pretty darn faint, lol
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
familywagon
In Neutral

Post by familywagon »

You are probably right lol. Not used to this older technology per say. My 13 Sti is a total different animal.

My buddy has a 92 ss manual. I'll see if his does it. Although I don't think he can go as slow as I can since it's manual. He thought it was my center diff also. But no other issues point to anything majorly wrong so maybe I'm over thinking this...
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The 4EAT, 5spd, and 6spd all use completely different AWD systems believe it or not. So a comparison of feel between the 3, while informational can't be used to judge condition.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would recommend putting a fuse in the FWD fuse holder on the passenger side strut tower to see if the binding you're feeling goes away. What you're experiencing could be binding due to build up on the clutch packs or something up with the duty-c solenoid.

If the problem goes away with the duty c solenoid installed then it could be build up on the clutch packs. If the trans fluid wasn't changed frequently, that could lead to the build up. You could try changing the fluid again in a little bit to see if that helps again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
familywagon
In Neutral

Post by familywagon »

Legacy777 wrote:I would recommend putting a fuse in the FWD fuse holder on the passenger side strut tower to see if the binding you're feeling goes away. What you're experiencing could be binding due to build up on the clutch packs or something up with the duty-c solenoid.

If the problem goes away with the duty c solenoid installed then it could be build up on the clutch packs. If the trans fluid wasn't changed frequently, that could lead to the build up. You could try changing the fluid again in a little bit to see if that helps again.
I bought a whole case of tranny fluid because I planned on changing it again after a few tanks of gas. The atf was pretty dirty. Also, I got about 7 qts. out instead of like 4 like normal.

I will try the fuse too and see what happens. If it goes away, is it the duty c then?

Thanks legacy777
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If it goes away with the fuse, it's likely the clutches and/or build up on the clutches.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
GTEASER
First Gear

Post by GTEASER »

Subscribed.