What type of intercooler?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I think his point was that you could move it if you wanted and replace the lines. The heat exhanger isn't required to be up front in all reality.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

yeah but where else would you put it?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

LOL! Buy a roof rack and mount the heat exchanger to it!! MAD MAX style! :twisted:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

rsstiboy: It doesnt matter if I have seen it or not. You dont understand that none of us plan to install the entire system as it was in Australia. We only plan to use the heat exhanger attached to the throttle body/turbo and all other items are custom. I could run the lines horizontal across the front and enter the engine bay through the fender well wiring hole.
There is no advantage and it would actually be harder to try to use the stock setup (pump and radiator). Everyone will create their own hose routing, resovoir and pump when installed.

boostjunkie: Exactly, I didnt intend to mean run it outside the vehicle but if you wanted all out cooling ability mounting it between the sunroof and windsheild would be a great place!

I actually plan to use two heat exhangers. One is a Legacy heater core, very good design and compact. It wont be mounted on the front of the vehicle. The other radiator will be mounted in front of the AC unit.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Were are you going to mount the heater core Ciper?
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

You don't speak for all of us ciper.

mk
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Yeah I do. I asked someone and they said so already.

Seriously though, which part of my statement did you not agree with? You plan to use the pump or radiator from the original system? The radiator is tiny, and how will you control the pump speed? How much is it going to cost you to get an OEM pump, which doesnt pump enough water and is more prone to fail compared to the aftermarket units?
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

ciper wrote:Yeah I do. I asked someone and they said so already.

Seriously though, which part of my statement did you not agree with? You plan to use the pump or radiator from the original system? The radiator is tiny, and how will you control the pump speed? How much is it going to cost you to get an OEM pump, which doesnt pump enough water and is more prone to fail compared to the aftermarket units?
No, you don't speak for everyone, sorry to burst your bubble. It doesn't matter what part i agree or disagree with, don't assume you are all knowing.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

okay kids. Lets play nice now. I think this thread has locked it course. If there are questions about HOW TO or WHERE TO mount an intercooler, that's another thread.

Lockdown unless someone can tell me why it shouldn't be. Feel free to send me a PM.
-Jason Grahn