EJ22 oil leak with Pics

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93wagonship
First Gear

EJ22 oil leak with Pics

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi guys,

Just had an overheat from a bad radiator. Now fixed. I was swearing that i had a burn headgasket from the overheat, but engine is running great again with new radiator. No smoke on tail pipe, no water on oil, no oil on water. But i have an oil leak somewhere. Oil is dripping on the floor and on exhaust causing smoke sometimes. In order to decide if I'm going for a reaseal or not, I'm asking for advice.

First I have to say that the engine was sitting for 5 years before i put it to run again, about 8 months ago. So i was expecting a reseal sooner or latter. My next job is timing belt and water pump. Of course i can do it without popping the engine. Specially that, as I said, is running great.

But where is the oil coming from? Do i really have a gasket problem? If you look the engine from the top, valve covers look pretty clean (see pics). But if you look from underneath, it's a mess :)

I have just finished to reseal the steering rack that was leaking pretty bad. But what i see under the engine looks like it's coming from the block. What this might be? Maybe just the oil pump o'ring? Or the infamous oil plate separator that i need to upgrade (already bought the metal one)? Or i definitively have bad gaskets?

The oil drips come mainly from the exhaust and the cross-member (the two bolts on the center are always oil wet). Most of timing belt cover looks clean and oil pan gasket looks fine too. The dirtiest part is around the two points where the exhaust leaves the engine, although the engine-exhaust gaskets do not appear to be the problem and the oil seems to be coming from above.

I'm just an amateur gear-head, so excuse me for the long post trying to explain such a simple problem. Anyway, thanks for reading :).

cheers

http://goo.gl/r13GJd
Last edited by 93wagonship on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
93wagonship
First Gear

Re: EJ22 oil leak with Pics

Post by 93wagonship »

I just did a good cleanup of the bottom and went for a ride. It seems to me that valve cover gaskets are the problem.

Please take a look and give an opinion. There is one or two pictures that you can actually see the head gasket also.

http://goo.gl/p9bwPy
Last edited by 93wagonship on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It says your album is Private and I cannot access it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Just for the second link. The first one opens fine.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Definitely at least your valve covers. Im not sure what you were trying to show in the pics of your front cover, but cam seals are pretty common source of oil in the front, especially with this many miles, and especially the right rear (at the back of the passenger side head). Those can get pretty messy and leak directly onto your exhaust. Your head gaskets dont look like they are puking, but they are pretty dirty in that area, probably some minor seepage (which subaru says is normal).

I would do the valve covers at the very least, cleanup and reavaluate your leaks
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Fixed
mike-tracy wrote:It says your album is Private and I cannot access it.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, after some cleaning i could see that the problem is actually the valve covers. Head gasket looks ok, no leak at all.

So i went to a Subaru dealer and bought the valve covers and grommets. Then bought some motor oil, a good seepage cleaner, new spark plugs and air filter. Right side was easy, but left side was more troublesome as i'ce spend circa 30 minutes alone figuring out how to remove the valve cover . Turns out it will only come out one way, pretty tricky. Now seems easy, could do again in a flash :)

Here are some pictures: http://goo.gl/HVUIVL

Notice that the new grommets are a little different from the stock, although both OEM. I did a good cleaning around the edges, now i can see if it's leaking again. Old valve cover gaskets were pretty dry and brittle. I think I'm settled for now. Next job timing belt!

cheers

Ps. thanks to an excellent youtube video on how to replace legacy valve covers by mercedes diesel guy ;-)

TurnNburn wrote:Definitely at least your valve covers. Im not sure what you were trying to show in the pics of your front cover, but cam seals are pretty common source of oil in the front, especially with this many miles, and especially the right rear (at the back of the passenger side head). Those can get pretty messy and leak directly onto your exhaust. Your head gaskets dont look like they are puking, but they are pretty dirty in that area, probably some minor seepage (which subaru says is normal).

I would do the valve covers at the very least, cleanup and reavaluate your leaks
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Im glad you figured it out and were able to replace them yourselves. The 2.2 are a breaze. The DOHC stuff can be much harder to get done on the ground.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Thanks. I don't have much experience, but the video encouraged me. Oh, and I do have lots of tools at home, so why not? It's a bit dirty this one, specially since my leaking is not new, just got worse.

One minor thing that happened, after the job car now have poor idle and misfire at lower RPMs.

http://goo.gl/WILFFc

Spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, all new. Have tryed carb cleaner on spark plug wires and ignition coil. Still poor. I must have messed with something. Or water from the jet wash underneath. Will try new wires and wait to see if it will disappear.

cheers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you take the intake off?did you remember to put your valve cover vent tubes back on at the valve cover and at the intake? Maybe IAC tube as well.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

i did plugged the hoses and no major leaks that i could tell so far. The problem is not only idle, it's shaking while running on low RPM. I can't say misfire, cause i'm not sure. It will run ok, however, if you step your foot hard. Car has plenty of power, but even when cruising you can feel that is not 100%. Idle is also poor as on the video above. Car shakes and tail pipe is stroking randomly.

Will have to take to a professional i guess...
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

make sure when you pulled your spark plug wires off you didnt brake the end of the wire off on the spark plug, pretty common on old plug wires. like you said its most likely something you touched to do your valve covers. Making something not leak shouldnt negatively effect drivability.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

I'm almost right you're right.

First i've checked the new spark plugs looking fro cracks and also tested the car with the old ones. Nothing. Than checked the hoses again and the fuel pressure regulator (just undo the hose next to the right fuel injectors to see if it's dry or running rich). Last shot was cable set. Used a multimeter to check them and one is apparently dead. Already bought a new set online and then will come back here to post results. Thanks a lot.

cheers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

your welcome. im glad you found your problem and are able to fix it, cheaply
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you replace the o-ring that goes between the oil filler neck and valve cover? That is also a typical source of leaks.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

There was no o'ring there that i saw. I've just reinstalled it, no gasket, just two bolts...

If it's leaking, then now I can easily spot, everything is clean again. Thanks.

Legacy777 wrote:Did you replace the o-ring that goes between the oil filler neck and valve cover? That is also a typical source of leaks.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Not good on the misfire thing. Car is running bad, except when you are accelerating. Then goes well, still strong.

Idle is still rough. Car shakes a little. It is noticeable that something is wrong. Have cleaned all plugs contacts, removed the o2 sensor and cleaned (good appearence, no carbon buildup). I have no engine light whatsoever. Still waiting for the new spark plug wires.

But yesterday I was down the road testing it and speedometer stopped working. Got a engine light on for some time, them it's off again. I've managed to reassemble again, but it's not trustful anymore. Got to replace. But what have the speedometer cable to do with an engine light? Maf sensor maybe?

Also, i could not succesfully reatach the cable back in. It's in the side of the transmission, hard to reach. Gave it maybe two or three turns only. Cable picture (transmission end): http://goo.gl/4oAQmI

In the mean time, i did the timing belt replacement along with bearings, tensioner and new water pump: http://goo.gl/emN1Xd
Last edited by 93wagonship on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

That's common for that adaptor to fail, I've replaced mine a few times. That will throw a code for vss and your cruise control won't work.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The o-ring is on the oil filler neck tube. If you get any more leaks, you may want to consider replacing it.

You know the one spark plug wire is bad, so I wouldn't try to diagnose anything else until you fix that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Good observations guys. Tomorrow new spark plug wires will be in hand.

cheers
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Ok gang, new spark plug wires, cleaned IACV, disconnected the positive of battery to try to reset things, cleaned battery contacts, nothing.... What next?

Car misfires when you try to keep a constant speed. When accelerating it goes well. Lots of power. On engine brake downhill, my tail pipe note resambles a harley davidson sound. Not clean as it should.

Idle is a little erratic, car shakes a tiny bit. I'm thinking it can't be the MAF as the car does not stall and rpm oscilation os minimal. Have thought about a bad coil pack, but starts normally, do not overheat and works good if you step your foot down (no misfire).

I've checked fuel injectors and they're all pulsing. But will try to clean them (remove and send to a professional). The other time I had to pull one it was very difficult. I've taken all the engine pressure off by trying tho start for a few seconds with both ignition coil and fuel pump disconnected. Is there any other trick? Do I have to turn them somehow or just pull up?

Cheers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

i dont understand how replacing a dead plug wire wouldnt fix your problem, that seemed like a no brainer. Are you sure this all started right after doing valve covers?

i would ohm test the injectors before resorting to pulling them. Do them when they are cold, and again when hot. Injectors usually only test bad when hot in my experience. spec is something like 10-12ish ohms.

As far as pulling the injectors go ( just did mine last week, my bad one tested at 60ohms for what its worth), theoretically you should be able to just pull straight up, but those o-rings are holding on strong. You will need to twist them and pull up to get them free, a little PB blaster doesnt hurt. Also, disconnect the fuel pump and start the car to release fuel pressure, but more importantly to get the fuel out of the rails, when you pull the injector, the gas will go straight from the fuel rail into your cylinder. A tiny bit isnt the end of the world, but a lot will hydrolock your engine and get past your rings into your oil.

Also make sure you get all of the o-rings out of the rails, and replace them if you can.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Found the problem! One of the injectors was overfueling! That's why the car goes well when accelerating! But it didn't throw any codes. Removed the injectors and tested the output in a machine. Will post pictures latter! Thanks a lot for the chat and suggestions!

cheers
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

crazy coincedence then! Good job hunting down the problem. Did you use a flow bench of some sort?
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Yes, it has been a paid job. The result showed one injecting a lot more fuel than the other three. Coincidentally or not, that's the one that made the least difference when pulling the spark plug wire with engine idling. Thanks.