transmission "noise"

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greendragonsegg
In Neutral

transmission "noise"

Post by greendragonsegg »

so i have a technical question: when i hit the gas hard and second gear gets to 2500 rpm the trans sounds like a kazoo until about 3500 rpm (has to be hard accel, cruising does not make the sound) if i let up on the gas a bit i can make the sound go away or at least quite down until it shifts.

FYI: 1993 legacy wagon N/A, Auto 199000+ miles. has the stupid duty c issue but i don't have a locked rear end.
what can this issue be?

TL/DR: my car sounds like a kazoo in 2nd gear over 2500 rpm, why?
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: transmission "noise"

Post by TurnNburn »

only second gear? and only under those circumstances? Its probably transmission line pressure bleeding off somewhere. Or maybe its cavitating air. how is your fluid level. have you serviced semi recently?
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
greendragonsegg
In Neutral

about 6 months ago i replaced the fluid, it was suggested a new fluid change would help the duty c(did not).

i do know that after it sits for over 5 hours the car takes a a bit to get into gear,any gear, i can sit on a flat surface and put it in gear and it takes a few seconds to respond, but after that its fine. i read about a check valve that wears out and the transmission kinda bleeds any pressure back into the pan.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

sounds about right, the slow engagement is from low line pressure, assuming your fluid level is ok
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
greendragonsegg
In Neutral

fluid level is fine, is it something i should be concerned with? or just something to keep and ear out for?
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

Mine does that too, has delayed engagement and a duty C issue (intermittent). I've done the line pressure test and it boils down to low line pressure after warm-up. I believe it's a worn seal on the direct drum (the teflon ones) and is bleeding pressure at low speed (if I floor it at idle/take off, it chirps and slams forward) but it holds fine under hard accel/normal driving.

TL;DR it's just getting tired. Line up a replacement or rebuild.
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
greendragonsegg
In Neutral

damn,looks like i'm going to be browsing craigslist or the local junkyards
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Mine was slow to engage. When cold id put it in gear and count to seven then go. I drove it that way for 3 years. Then turboed it. Until it smoked 4th gear. It still ran and drove good regardless. I picked up a 97 gt tranny and did the swap. Lucas atf additive helped
greendragonsegg
In Neutral

does the 97 trans require any extra wiring? or is it a "plug n play?
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

I've got a 96 OBW about to drop in, my 91 3.9 just gave up today. I'll report back with the final results, but from what I'm reading, it's plug and play. Just trying to solve the TC question/issue now...
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't know about the different TC stall's, but I do know if you put either TC with it's specific flex plate in, it will work.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.