92 turbo automatic... No Reverse.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kyledooley
In Neutral

92 turbo automatic... No Reverse.

Post by kyledooley »

Backed out of work spot. Drove to Drugstore. Backed out of parking space. Drove home. Pulled into driveway and went to back into my spot. Nothing. I had to push it into the spot.

Fluid is fine. No other obvious explanation. No unusual noises, clunks or bangs. Just no reverse.

Any ideas? Is this something that has happened before to anyone.

Kyle
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Reverse went out in my fwd NA. When the car is cold, it kinda worked, but not at all when the tranny warmed up. Have you tried reverse since?
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
kyledooley
In Neutral

Post by kyledooley »

I went back out and checked the fluid after I had dinner (and cooled off a bit). It was fine, but the situation hasn't changed. Still no go in R.

Oh well. I've got a friend that is going to lend me his spare trans for his turbo wagon and I'll get mine pulled out and looked at.

In the meantime, if anyone knows the exact problem that can cause a loss of reverse but no other gear, please let me know.

K.
usaimages
In Neutral

Post by usaimages »

:?: BTT - I have the same problem.
Rick
In Neutral

Post by Rick »

My parents have the same problem with their '93 Turbo Legacy AWD. It's in the shop right now, but I'll let you know what they found. (My parents are in MD & I'm in TX so I have no hands on with this car)
'90 Legacy 2wd 5spd
'04 Forester X
Rick
In Neutral

Post by Rick »

The dealer said it had a leaking reverse seal in the tranny. Charged my parents $1600 or so to rebuild. The rebuild kit was around $400, the rest was labor. Had it done in Hanover, PA.
'90 Legacy 2wd 5spd
'04 Forester X
eastcoastbumps
In Neutral

Post by eastcoastbumps »

I don't have reverse in my Legacy either.
I was just browsing to see if anyone had a solution (other than rebuilding)

Pete
WRX, Legacy Turbo
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

eastcoastbumps wrote:I don't have reverse in my Legacy either.
I was just browsing to see if anyone had a solution (other than rebuilding)

Pete
I have this trans now. The cause was a burnt low/reverse clutch. Not sure if the VB caused this or just wear. The steels had hot spots on it so it could just be wear??

A rebuilt kit is around $200.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
eastcoastbumps
In Neutral

Post by eastcoastbumps »

Where can I find a rebuild kit for it? I'm assuming that the cheapest place would be an online vendor. So far $200 is the cheapest price I've seen estimated.

Someone mentioned band adjustments. I have a WRX service manual and its not mentioned in that, so I'm guessing that they don't have the same adjustments as the Legacy.

I forgot to mention this in my first post but I still have reverse. I have to rev the hell out of it to get it to move. Its just slipping. No jerkyness. And it won't reverse up hills.

Pete
WRX, Legacy Turbo
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

eastcoastbumps wrote:Where can I find a rebuild kit for it? I'm assuming that the cheapest place would be an online vendor. So far $200 is the cheapest price I've seen estimated.

Someone mentioned band adjustments. I have a WRX service manual and its not mentioned in that, so I'm guessing that they don't have the same adjustments as the Legacy.

I forgot to mention this in my first post but I still have reverse. I have to rev the hell out of it to get it to move. Its just slipping. No jerkyness. And it won't reverse up hills.

Pete
sounds like your R clutches are gone. The newer 4EATs don't have the brake band adjustment on top like the older ones. I got my kit from a local supplier Transtar.

http://www.transtarindustries.com/
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)