Engine choices

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Here be dragons!

Build up the best Subaru engine ever! Long live the EJ22T!
17%
Swap in a WRX/STi engine for an easier life down the road.
67%
Swap in some insane/unique JDM Beast!
17%

Total votes: 6

Smithcraft
Second Gear

Engine choices

Post by Smithcraft »

While I was hoping to get a local TW, I was wondering about engine choices.

I think that building up the EJ22T would have been just about as expensive as certain swaps, or at least from what I've been told.

So I wondered about swaps. I would guess anyone could manage, with time and money, to swap in a WRX or STi engine, but I wondered about some of the more esoteric JDM options. Maybe a B4 TT engine! Especially since you can get a whole front clip shipped to your door for about $5k.

So if money is possibly a non-factor, what would you do on a project car?

Thanks!

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
dankberries
Second Gear

Re: Engine choices

Post by dankberries »

EG33 twin turbo build.
My 2cents.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

After owning 3 SS's, id say more important than the engine swap is the tuning. For the stock electronics really there isn't anything that great - a robtune or revtronix non flashable chip. Or an Apexi or ESL standalone and nobody really uses those either because of their cost or limatations.

i would wire the car to run a usdm ej205 ecu mostly due to availability of parts. If you can find a JDM ej207 you can run it with 4 more wires and the jdm ecu, on the american wiring harness.

If money REALLY isnt a factor, then why not swap in a Buggati W16 engine? Ain't gonna happen so i vote ej205 and sort out which engine later, enjoying a fully reflashable ecu that any decent tuner can touch.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

h6 twin turbo
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

LS7
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

yea, like Mike stated the USDM 2L would be better since you can get them for cheap, they are local and you would be able to tune them.
On that note the JDM 2L are awesome. Merging the harness is much easier and so is the swapping ou the ECU. Along with the robtune and you're golden.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

I didn't much consider going with a 2 liter, but that would certainly provide a greater supply of parts.

Thanks for the input!

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Ive driven 1 TT legacy and ridden in a coupl3. They aren't anything special. Not worth the hassle.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I assume by JDM 2.0L you mean the 93-96 WRX EJ20G? That swap is fairly straightforward following the available guides and with the robtune makes entirely too much power the stock TW/SS suspension and brakes. I have it and love it. The 230hp Forester I'm driving at the moment feels like a slug with asthma in comparison.

That said, if I ever need another motor in my TW its getting the EJ205 harness and whatever EJ205/207/255/257 I can score a good deal on as I'm pretty locked into a fairly specific setup on the older stuff due to a combo of lack of parts and the "off-the-self" tune (its a VERY good tune, just lacks flexibility).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I also vote 205 swap. It's a task that can be intimidating, but after doing it it's just so much more beneficial. Now add a 2.2 to the 205 heads and it's extremely fun. mike-tracy has driven my car in it's un-tuned state, he enjoyed it.

However going this route has it's cons. You make any changes to the engine/intake/exhaust you have to re-tune or the car simply runs like shit. I found this out the hard way.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Ok, this will be something I'll have to research much more then. Last I recall is the exciting path Kimo took putting a 2.0 in his car.
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'd recommend reading about the different phase-I JDM motors. There's like 4 that are commonly used (and some others less commonly used), and install considerations vary greatly between them. Kimo's was a Forester EJ20G I believe. The WRX EJ20G (93-95) is probably the most straight-forward, but there's some comprehensive threads around that go into detail about each and what's needed to make them work in a swap.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

My opinions. Assuming a gen 1 Legacy as the car.

Budget.
Phase 1 EJ20 DOHC turbo motor (pick one, all are basically the same)
Legacy/Impreza V1/2 EJ20G intake manifold and throttlebody
Turbo w/90 degree inlet or silicon 90 degree adapter sized to suit modest power goals. OEM from some Subaru or another for budget reasons.
4-plug ECU w/Revtronix, Robtune, ESL board, etc. Run with minimally modified OEM gen 1 Legacy body harness and engine/intake manifold harness to match car (not ECU or motor).
Any exhaust manifold/up-pipe/downpipe combo. They are all basically the same from '90 up to the '07 WRX and STI.
Optional as budget allows: Any stock or built shortblock (of any size) w/phase 1 DOHC heads (STI/ported/cams/etc) to match power desires.

The keys will always bee attention to detail, not cutting corners and tuning. Don't let your greediness for power over run your budget.

Medium $$...USDM STI conversion w/harness swap. After that treat your upgrades as if you had a USDM STI.

Price no object (but still Subaru based): Built, twin charged, EZ36R, full standalone w/AVCS control.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Thanks James614 and PhyrraM!

I'm not looking to go for crazy power. Unless 200 to 250 is crazy, I think that's what I'm looking to go for. I like to think about the EE20...

I think the engine will be the last thing in the puzzle. I think I'll start with suspension, then the drivetrain, with interior stuff as I go along.

I'm gonna see if I can find cj91legss dash swap thread as that looks like it would be something quite nice.

Thanks again!

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

It starts about halfway down in this thread.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... &start=625

Good Luck!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

wait... north covington?? where is that haha i grew up in covington and ive never heard anyone say "north convington" like up by kentwood or something?
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Engine choices

Post by dscoobydoo »

If you are only looking for 200-250 then you would be wasting money to go with any swap. I put down about 220hp 250 tq on a 22t. I am only running 14 lbs with room for a lot more - the heads being my restricting factor. One car is a Rob 20g ecu the other is a PP6. I beat early WRX's and keep up with later ones

I am in Auburn if you want to come for a ride.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

ride_child wrote:wait... north covington?? where is that haha i grew up in covington and ive never heard anyone say "north convington" like up by kentwood or something?
I call it North Covington, because I have a Renton mailing address in unincorporated King County. I guess I could say East Fairwood, or West Maple Valley. :lol:

I'm on vacation, so I can roll on down to Auburn for a ride along any evening your free to do so dscoobydoo!

cj91legss, I actually went all the way though that thread before I went to bed this morning! Granted a good deal of it was just scrolling and looking at pictures! :lol: That particular part of your project looks like it would be fantastic, but perhaps more than I might be able to get involved with. I must say, you are The Man for doing that!

For the engine, I'm not looking for a beast to smack down EVOs, I just like to blitz on to onramps and, well, everywhere. But the iDea for this car, if I find one before I find a SpecB, is more for a touring car, rather than a track car.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Cool. I am avail this Fri or Sat after 5 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Smithcraft wrote: cj91legss, I actually went all the way though that thread before I went to bed this morning! Granted a good deal of it was just scrolling and looking at pictures! :lol: That particular part of your project looks like it would be fantastic, but perhaps more than I might be able to get involved with. I must say, you are The Man for doing that!

SC
Thank you!!!

1 of 4 to complete it in the states. 2 more are currently taking on the same project.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

That's the kinda thing where I would actually by an adapter loom to go between the two different sets of plugs just to make it that much easier.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB