'93 Legacy MT clutch replacement, shifter bushings (+Pics)

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MrTodd
First Gear

'93 Legacy MT clutch replacement, shifter bushings (+Pics)

Post by MrTodd »

Since I'm new to the forum, I figured I'd document my progress with each project. I'm hoping that my little projects may answer some questions for some people out there that have yet to tackle such things.

Anyway, I'm new to Subarus - some of which might show with how I did my work.

I've got a '93 Legacy I got for cheap, and now I'm fixing it up to be somewhat reliable. I gotta make it last a few years to get me through school.

Thar she blows... Rusty, complete with dents. It's okay though, I'm not looking for high fashion with this car - just want it to get me to school + work and back.

The engine runs fine, cruise control works, A/C, power windows, all that is great, but I noticed the clutch is slipping when driving up not so steep hills, so I figure a new clutch is in order. I chose to drop the tranny from the car, replace the clutch, then button everything back up. Before doing this, almost everyone advised me to pull the engine while keeping the tranny in the car... Looking back, it may have been a little bit easier doing that instead, but this still worked.

Anyway, first thing's first. Remove the exhaust manifold, don't forget to unplug the O2 sensor first. Also started on draining the transmission while I got to wrenching. *rusty bolts are rusty*

Then, the prop shaft/drive shaft. (Sprayed all the rusty bolts down with WD40 rust formula first)

Now, undo the axles. Subaru uses roll pins to keep the axles in place - this is something new to me. Oh well, they came out easy with the proper sized punch.

Now, I went ahead and removed the transmission mounting bracket.

Next up, I disconnect my shifter linkage and supported the tranny with a jackstand. I started to pound the pin but then immediately realized I could just unbolt it to get it off. So I did that instead.

Finally, I went on to unbolt and unplug everything that was connected to the transmission from the engine bay. (Starter, speedo cable, wiring harness, a couple ground wires here and there, and finally, the bell housing bolts [technically there are only 4 of them! I'm used to seeing like 7. Good news is good news.])
Also, when separating/lowering the tranny I was able to fully pop off the axles. This was nice because I didn't have to completely remove them from the knuckle.

I spent the better part of an hour trying to split the tranny from the block. Huge pain in the ass. Ugh. Anyway, finally got it off and pulled it out. Here it is: 5 gears of AWD glory. A first for me! (I've only done FWD cars up to this point)

After the tranny was out, I went in to look at the old clutch. I had expected a bit less life in it, but still it looked rather beat up. The flywheel had a LOT of scoring on it, many of the imperfections I could feel with my fingers.

With the clutch + flywheel out of the way, I went to inspect the rear main seal and the oil separator plate. Turns out I had a metal separator plate all along (whew). The rear main seal looked like it was leaking a tiny bit, so I went ahead and replaced it with a new OEM unit.

This is where I called it a night. It took me about 6 hours to get to this point, mostly because of old rusty bolts that wouldn't come off, AND because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to Subarus.

Anyway, the next day I decided to grab a new flywheel and put everything back together. With the new flywheel, I had to install the inner bearing (don't know the name of these things). I've done them before on performance (lightweight) flywheels, and it was tough to get it in. My last car I had to heat up the flywheel to get the bearing to fit. This time, the bearing hammered right in. Just used my Crapsman 15/16" socket with a 3lb sledge. The socket was a PERFECT fit. Easy peasy.

The new Exedy clutch looks pretty nice as well.

Popped in the new throw out bearing. The old one was NOISY.

And here is the new hardware all plugged in. Torqued down 55lb-ft for the 14mm flywheel bolts, 12.7lb-ft for the 12mm pressure plate bolts.

Now, I noticed the the shifter was really sloppy, so I went ahead and got to replace 2 bushings that were damaged. Pounded out the pins, cleaned it up, put it all back together. Feels MUCH better.

Installation was reverse of removal, of course, but let me tell you - it was a HUGE pain in the ass to get the tranny plugged back into the block. SO tedious!!! After spending plenty of time lining it up and moving it in, it pretty much got stuck. It took over an hour of me pushing and shaking the shit out of that thing from under the car to FINALLY get it in enough to begin threading in the bell housing bolts. The bolts squeezed it in the rest of the way. Hot damn. That was hard.

In the end, I put everything back together successfully, but it appears I somehow broke my MAF sensor doing it...? The car starts up, idles smoothly for about 4 seconds, then dies. Unplugged the MAF sensor, it idles just fine (although with a CEL). Without the MAF sensor I can't really drive it, as it's running like total garbage when you press the gas. Anyway, that's another story yet to unfold.

Thanks for reading!
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: '93 Legacy MT clutch replacement, shifter bushings (+Pic

Post by rallyak »

Good job!!! I prefer to pull the engine myself, clutch job for me is 3 1/2- 4 hours. I know others on the board like pulling the trans. It all how your set up, in the end it's the same results.

Also I see you did your home work and bought a good clutch and not a china made one. I've seen a few china made pressure plates come apart and destroy the transmission case (very bad).
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

On sliding the trans back on, I found it helped a lot to rotate the axle stubs just a bit to rotate the input shaft. The trans sticks because the input shaft nor the engine will want to move on their own very easily to line up the splines. If you move it once or twice yourself, you'll find it slides right in no fuss.

Good writeup. You definitely saved yourself a huge PITA doing shifter bushings while the trans was out, wish I was that smart :)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

Cool, thanks for the replies guys!

When putting the tranny back in I did try to rotate the axles a bit in hopes that the splines on the main shaft would better line up with the clutch disc. Maybe I've just got bad luck, or perhaps the angle I was coming in on wasn't matching up exactly right. Ugh. I'm just glad it's done!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Great write-up and pictures!

Having someone to help can make getting the trans back in easier. I've found tilting the engine back a little bit helps with getting the trans on and off. When I did my 6spd swap I had issues with the trans & engine wouldn't mate up. No matter what we did. We took a break for dinner and while eating I realized I hadn't tried rotating the engine to get the splines to line up. Once we did that, everything went together like a glove.

BTW, that bearing on the flywheel is called the pilot bearing :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

Legacy777 wrote:Great write-up and pictures!

Having someone to help can make getting the trans back in easier. I've found tilting the engine back a little bit helps with getting the trans on and off. When I did my 6spd swap I had issues with the trans & engine wouldn't mate up. No matter what we did. We took a break for dinner and while eating I realized I hadn't tried rotating the engine to get the splines to line up. Once we did that, everything went together like a glove.

BTW, that bearing on the flywheel is called the pilot bearing :)
Thanks for the response! Considering the way I went about it, I think what you said would've for sure made it MUCH easier to slide the tranny back in. In fact, I was kind of thinking about that when I was failing.... "you know, i bet this would be easier if i could tilt the engine back somehow" - obviously I didn't ponder too much into it, as I just decided to use brute force instead of my brain. Hah. Next time I end up doing a clutch job on a Subaru, I think I may just lift the engine instead. :x

Also, thanks for the clarification on the pilot bearing! For some reason I thought the throw out bearing and pilot bearing were the same thing, just different people called it different things. Good to know!
Yamagata
In Neutral

Post by Yamagata »

Great tech article. Great pics too. I am about to do a clutch and thought I'd pull the tranny rather than the motor. I assumed the tranny had less stuff connected to it. But after seeing this, I think I'm going to pull the motor. However, changing the shift bushings is on my list for sure.

If you still have the Clutch, Flywheel, Rear Main Seal, Pilot Bearing and Through Out Bearing part numbers, I think adding that info to your well crafted tech would be the Cherry on top.

Thanks for your objective tech.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Yamagata wrote:Great tech article. Great pics too. I am about to do a clutch and thought I'd pull the tranny rather than the motor. I assumed the tranny had less stuff connected to it. But after seeing this, I think I'm going to pull the motor. However, changing the shift bushings is on my list for sure.

If you still have the Clutch, Flywheel, Rear Main Seal, Pilot Bearing and Through Out Bearing part numbers, I think adding that info to your well crafted tech would be the Cherry on top.

Thanks for your objective tech.

Also read this one, I pulled the engine instead just enough to change the clutch.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53810
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I've done it both ways and prefer pulling the engine. But not everyone has access to a cherry picker. I used ratcheting straps to hold up the tranny at one point lol.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.