Turbo swap options

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speezly
Second Gear

Turbo swap options

Post by speezly »

So I have a 22t block in the machine shop that has to be bored .5 over, so I can't use the old Pistons. I also have a turbo 25 block with the top end from a 22t bolted on it. (I didn't put it together, just found it in a junkyard.) I'm trying to decide whether I should even bother trying to run the hybrid as is, or to just save up for forged internals/ complete build on the 22t. I can get my hands on some ej20x heads and the matching manifold for cheap to mate to the turbo 25 block, and I already have a td04 I could run with that setup but then I would need an Ecu to make it work and I don't know much about newer ej setups, so I'm a little lost in all that. I just want to turbo my legacy, and am searching for the most cost effective solution for right now. Should I even bother with the 25 hybrid or just throw all my money at the 22t setup and put the turbo 25 block on the back burner?
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turbo swap options

Post by Legacy777 »

What are you power goals for the motor? Keeping things as stock as you can when it comes to engine components will probably be the most cost-effective and reliable engine for the future assuming you are not wanting to make an exorbitant amount of power.

If more power is your goal then going with upgraded parts is probably a better idea, but it's far from cost effective.

I really suggest you think about what are your goals for the motor, are they cost, longevity/reliability, power, or a combination. Typically more power and cost effective are at the complete opposite ends.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

The ej255 short block would stay stock, and I may try to source some cheap 20g heads and manifold, but if I go with the 22t block, my only option is forged internals since they had to take .5 out of the bore. I'll be keeping both motors either way, I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I can get out of the ej255 stock short block compared to the built 22t. I was originally hoping to assemble the stock 22t and run it as is until I had more funds for performance parts, but since it was in poor condition, that's not an option. Maybe I could run the 22t heads and top end on my 22e block short term? If I'm only pushing factory boost, that would work in theory right?
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI,
I wouldn't trust the ringlands ....esp. #4...... on the USED/unknown EJ255...

I'm running 5psi on an EJ22E w/EJ22T heads, since it's a '96 there's no easy EM options. But your '93 is not hard to swap to a turbo ECU>>.Rob Tune as funds become avl.

Personally, I'd throw some forged pistons in the EJ22T, bolt on some EJ20 heads, get VF34/43/48 from an STi, (Or a JDM TD05H), injectors, etc to run the Rob Tune. You'll be approx. 275/275 @ the wheels.

Of course, you'll be looking for new trans if you start launching it, but put in a HD clutch (if 5speed), don't drive like Ken B. and you'll be OK.

FWIW, the EJ22T block halves are still worth $4-500 - esp. to some Europeans...probably a WTB ad in the parts shed now.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I'm definitely keeping both blocks. Maybe I will put the 22t top end on the 22e block for now and build the 22t block as money becomes available. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to set up the 22e block with the turbo top end just so I have something quicker than the stock 22e until the 22t block can be finished.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What ecu would be running the 22e/22t combo? Thats almost NA compression and on a 22t ecu it wont last forever, just like the 25/22t combo.

One thing you could do, is throw stock 22t pistons in the 22e block, and run that.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I have 22t and 22e ecu's. And the price of an aftermarket Ecu would be just as much as getting a dohc setup. I might just have to wait until I can get either some cheap dohc and manifold or have the spare cash to get forged internals in the 22t block. Kinda wishing I just bought a jdm 20g instead. I've just been drooling over a 22t hybrid setup for so long
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt