Should I replace my clutch?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Poll ended at Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Yes, the car is apart. Might as well.
33%
No, the clutch is new. Waste of money.
67%

Total votes: 9

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I have the transmission out of the car as we speak, and some people are telling me I should go ahead and replace the clutch disc while everything's apart.

There are valid arguments for either...

For: The car is apart, and I think that the clutch that's in there now is an OEM clutch from that time period of the clutch shudder TSB's running rampant (supposedly substandard materials were used in the construction of the disc). I can get the clutch to shudder pretty bad if I try.

Against: The clutch is only 17,000 miles old, and performs great aside from the shudder. Plus I don't really have the $$$ to buy a new $300 clutch, and I'm not well-versed into installing one, using the alignment tool and all.

What do you think?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I think you should replace the clutch while you've got everything apart. But if you cannot afford it, then put it back together. How long do you think you'd have to wait to afford one though? If it's only a few weeks I say wait.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

17k? Driven nicely, a clutch will last 300.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
cbose
In Neutral

why do it?

Post by cbose »

At only 17K, consider it possible that the new clutch you buy might fail before the one you currently hold in your hand! I wouldn't do it.
Since you have a bit of clutch judder, and haven't seen thousands of clutches in varying states of failure during your lifetime, why not take the clutch and pressure plate into a decent independent subaru mechnic, drop him $5 and ask if it looks ok. Or do the same at a reliable parts house.
FWIW, I always replace the release bearing and clips when I have things apart -- it's cheap to do and when they fail, you aren't left with many options. A clutch usually fails slowly, with lots of symptoms and a range of options (live with it, curse it, replace it, upgrade it . . .)

I also remember that my clutch judder was 90% solved by setting up the lever free-travel properly. The spec. is larger than you might think.
Chris
1991 Legacy VZ wagon,
Japanese castoff retired to New Zealand
Approaching 200,000km -- Yikes!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, my friend and I got the transmission back in today. Took about 2 hours. A lot of that was trying to get the tranny properly positioned on the jack, and getting the input shaft lined up properly with the clutch disc.

I did not replace the clutch, I don't have that kind of scratch. I really don't see the point of throwing away a perfectly good $300 part.

I will definitely do it more carefully next time, I can't count the number of times the thing almost fell off the jack and crushed my little head. A learning experience, most certainly!!

Can't wait to put the rest of it back together and drive it again!!! :mrgreen:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Cool, congrats Subyluvr!

I haven't ever done any tranny work yet myself even though I'm working hard to need a new clutch :lol: . Seriously though I really would like to do my shifter bushings, mounts and stuff this spring or summer.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

I would have bought an upgraded clutch only if I had the money. If the upgraded clutch were to fail, you'd always have your stock one to use during one of those overnight clutch swaps.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent