Turbo Legacy owners with aftermarket turbos please read

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Turbo Legacy owners with aftermarket turbos please read

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

I haven't seen any type of FAQ or information forum specifically made for turbo legacy owners with upgraded/aftermarket turbos.

So if you have a turbo Legacy or an EJ22G in your car with an upgraded/aftermarket turbo please post the following here:

1. What model aftermarket turbo do you have
2. What aftermarket intake and exhaust piping do you have
3. Intercooler Yes / No
4. How well does your aftermarket turbo fit that piping or how well does it fit your stock piping if thats what you have
5. What boost level are you consistently running
6. What model boost controller are you using
7. What EGT, A/F readings are you getting at those boost levels
8. What other mods did you have to make in order to compensate for the extra flow and boost

Your contribution of information and experience is greatly appreciated. It will definitely help myself and others as they plan to purchase a combination of parts to mod their turbo legacy or EJ22G.

Thanks
Brad
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

FWIW, I don't think there is an EJ22G.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

EJ22G = Turbo legacy motor designation
EJ22T = Slang for Turbo Legacy Motor and used by those that don't know EJ22G
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

WARNING:
read further at your own risk :!: Pissing match in progress :roll:
Last edited by Matt Monson on Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I think he's talkin about this:

www.sqc-ny.com/tech/turbos.pdf

The page notes that the mitsu turbos have different exhaust widths, or something along those lines.

Brad, if you ever want to take a look at my setup, let me know.

The biggest issue I have right now is the sizing of my injectors. Right now I'm running them at 100% IDC. Not good. But I've been trying to find a true drop in replacement. No such luck. Kelly, mentions the use of nissan injectors, but I have my doubts as to whether they're true DROP in replacements for the stockers.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

It says EJ22T right on the id plate under the hood.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

91White-T wrote:It says EJ22T right on the id plate under the hood.
Thats cool.

Totally not what this thread was meant for. But please see this link for background information regarding the Turbo Legacy's engine designation: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15132

Anyway I was looking for specific combinations that people are using on their turbo legacy or other EJ22G equiped cars. I thought it would be nice to put as much information as possible in a single thread for easy access and good reading. Please follow that purpose in your post.

Thanks Jason and Matt for your info. Jason I am still researching the fuel rail swap for a more available selection of injectors for fitment in the stock manifold.

Brad
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I was just telling you that EJ22T isn't something we created over here, it's written right on the id plate.
Have a nice day.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

So a second generation Legacy sedan owner with a 2.5 litere engine is telling us what to call our engine? Image
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

MY99 2.5GT, you might want to try taking a look for another post in here (maybe someone else can help me figure out which post exactly) where vrg3 modified a stock n/a legacy fuel injector to possibly flow more . . . similarly to a modification done on the nasioc. A couple people were thinking of having those injectors flow benched at RC engineering, altho I don't know of what came of that.

Supposedly, the modification will close to double the flow of the injector, and if the stock inejctor's rated at 270-280cc, that would be somewhere in the neightborhood of a 450cc injector (I'm speculating). The saving grace in this mod is that the n/a 2.2L fuel rails swap into the ej22g with minimal effort.

In MY99 2.5GT's defence, I call the turbo legacy block an ej22g as well, just because it has some very similar characteristics to the ej20g, and IIRC, they were produced at arond the same time.

Who knows?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

That would be so sweet since I have a perfectly in tact 2.2 NA fuel rail. Let me know when you find out about this mod.

ciper - I guess my 95 Impreza with an EJ22T motor ready to go in isn't in my profile. I'll refer to it as an EJ22G/T so as not to confuse anyone here:)

91White-T - Their Depends, get it right Image
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

ciper - Do you have mods done to your turbo legacy?

91White-T - Care to talk about the experiences you have hadwith your mods?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

:lol: :lol:

I know what will fix this. The BLOCK alone is referred to as an EJ22G. A complete engine with all the items attached is an EJ22T. See the difference? We are all running EJ22T while the WRX guys (for example) are using EJ22G blocks.

Do you mean current mods or planned? My engine is still on an engine stand, the heads are at a machine shop and the other parts are in the trunk of the donor car.

The modifications on the recieving car are extensive though. I dont drive it as often, I usually drive my sedan to work. Probably the most interesting modification that is taking place at the moment is a high quality head job on the stock EJ22T heads and conversion to roller rockers.
Here is an old thread but with lots of my info. I should update it.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14314
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Well there ya go. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, but I hadn't even heard the term EJ22G before. I understand that it may be the block designation as Ciper mentioned. You learn something new every day!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I have the set of modded 92 NA injectors and I did offer to send them to RC for testing if anyone wanted to pay for it. I emailed RC asking how much it would cost and what I would need (since the o-rings don't look so great), but haven't heard back. If anyone does want to pay for the testing I'll call up RC to find out.

Or when the weather's warmer, I'll just make my own ghetto DIY flow bench to test them with. And hope I don't blow myself up. :)

On-topic portion of the content: Matt's right that the exhaust side shouldn't be a problem, and that the compressor outlet differs, but you should also be aware that turbos meant for 1997 and later model years also have a different compressor inlet. The stock Legacy Turbo compressor has an elbow bolted to it pointing straight up; later ones don't have that bend and instead have the intake tubing go under the passenger side intake manifold runners.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Get the price. Ill pay upto a limit.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

'kay, I'll find out how much it is.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

MY99 2.5GT wrote: 91White-T - Care to talk about the experiences you have hadwith your mods?
Sure what do you want to know?
PS Don't take me too seriously, I was jokin around earlier...
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

Honestly I really appreciate you guys and the information I find here. Its good to joke around every now and then.

I will be starting over piping wise with my setup since my engine simply came with the intake and exhaust manifolds and no up pipe, or intake piping. I don't really like the WRX idea of having the intake run underneath the manifold so I may try and jimmy my own little fitting to route it up and around. I need to take some measurements once I get it in the impreza to see what will fit.

Thanks
Brad
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

1992 White Legacy Sport Sedan 5mt turbo

Removed snorkus, K&N filter

Saab 900 TMIC. I plan to cut in my WRX hood scoop this spring to help it breath better.

Diamond coil pack.

Joe-P MBC set at 12.8 psi on stock VF11 for now with plans to run 14-15 psi once I have a FCD. I hope to run a TD05-16G or VF23 in the future.

OBX Type R Turbo gauge 30-0-30 vac/boost. (Total piece of crap! I need an Autometer :( )

C.E.S. Racing Systems "street" 3" turbo-back exhaust with DP03 ceramic coated twin dump down pipe and BEP (Boost Enhancement Plate).

I'm not running an EGT or A/F gauge yet so I can't help there.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

1. What model aftermarket turbo do you have?
TD05

2. What aftermarket intake and exhaust piping do you have?
stock exhaust, modified intake with stock box

3. Intercooler Yes / No?
Saab 900

4. How well does your aftermarket turbo fit that piping or how well does it fit your stock piping if thats what you have ?
Had to modify quite exensively

5. What boost level are you consistently running ?
15psi

6. What model boost controller are you using?
cheap MBC

7. What EGT, A/F readings are you getting at those boost levels ?
A/F is usually between .85V and .88V, EGT yet to be installed

8. What other mods did you have to make in order to compensate for the extra flow and boost?
custom cat-back, header, K&N panel filter, DIY FCD
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

ciper wrote: The modifications on the recieving car are extensive though. I dont drive it as often, I usually drive my sedan to work. Probably the most interesting modification that is taking place at the moment is a high quality head job on the stock EJ22T heads and conversion to roller rockers.
Here is an old thread but with lots of my info. I should update it.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14314

if your not driving the car, and i'm assuming you'll be doing piston and conrod upgrades, why are you wasting your time with SOHC heads? you could get DOHC heads easily if you shopped around and they flow good enough standard, just get some eagle rods and CP pistons with DOHC heads with your 2.2ltr block whack on a nice big TD05 20G and you'll have a monster, obviously you'll need engine management, injectors, rising rate fuel regulator and a high power fuel pump, also parallel fuel rail conversion wouldn't go astray either
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
subiecar
In Neutral

Post by subiecar »

:shock: Everyone seems to think the stock EJ22T heads are`nt good enough for the street---WRONG!!! As has been said before, put your money where it`ll do the most good, ie: intercooler, engine management, better pistons, rods, etc. My heads after being LIGHTLY ported, CC`d, stock size s.s. valves, titanium retainers and SLIGHTLY revised cam profile are good for at least 400 HP and comprable torque (with the proper related components, of course.) Ask larry Witherspoon (ssspoon) how effective HIS $ were on his head project (he`s now selling them.) Unless you`re looking for well over 400 HP and higher than 6500-7000 RPM, the SOHC heads are just fine. Once my never-ending project is broken in and the GT28RS turbo is installed, I`ll verify my statements with a run at Infineon raceway some time this summer. I`ll be happy to post the results. Continuing to believe less is more..........Rod
Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

"GT28RS turbo" Is this the Disco Potato your talking about?

Brad[/code]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

No piston or conrod upgrades. Seeing the amount of abuse the OE parts can take I have no reason to spend the money on less stable aftermarket parts. I have yet to see any damage to stock EJ22T internals (from high power)

Dont even mention DOHC conversions. The money it takes to do such a conversion is far better spent on improving the flow of the original. Ive done more research than has been posted (lazy to type) and the DOHC heads dont automatically increase power. The difference I see is seperate timing control over the valves (which I have seen NOONE do). The DOHC have more rotating mass and friction, you end up loosing power. Besides I would need to create custom ignition wires to fit the center mounted spark plugs. It doesnt help that the DOHC heads available dont have the correct bore.

I havnt decided yet if I want to perform the parralel fuel mod.