tranny problem?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

tranny problem?

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

I have a funny sound coming from the tranny. it happens at idle when the clutch is out. when i push the clutch in, it goes away. at idle, it will come and go every 20 sec. or so. the car shifts fine, doesn't grind gears and i dont know what is wrong. the sound is like some kind of grinding noise. anyone know or have a similar problem?

Aaron :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
-K-
Third Gear

Clutch?

Post by -K- »

My clutch is almost gone and sounds kinda like what you hear. Does it slip at all ?
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

no, this is not a clutch problem as my clutch is good and engages about 1/4 way up from the floor.
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Pilot bearing or throw-out bearing? was it reeplaced when you replaced your clutch last?
Mark
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

mark, i dont know, as i just bought the car 3wks ago. although, the car records contains nothing about clutch replacement.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

That's exactly what i was thinking too mark.

If you have no records about a clutch job on a car you just purcahsed, my recommendation would be to do it if you've got the money. That way you KNOW that it's been done.

(while you've got the clutch out, might as well put in a lightened flywheel for a notch up in enjoying the ride! :) )

Have Fun!

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

jason, i understand that i and i do have the money. but, the car shifts fine and the clutch is fine. i just don't know where this noise is coming from. it seems to go away after the car reaches it's operating temp.
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

Aaron, is the sound more like a mettalic ratteling coming from the tranny area? I just noticed that from my car while its sitting idling. I also think I notice the sound as Im decelerating, after i downshift, as Im coming to a stop. I was thinking it might be my catylitic converter ratteling...because i have a feeling it is clogged or otherwise dead. I dont want to steal this thread...maybe you should check your cat??
Noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

well ej20, i do have an exhaust heat sheild rattle, but i know that is not it. because, when i press the clutch to the floor, the noise goes away. :?
LegTurbo92
In Neutral

Post by LegTurbo92 »

Sounds a bit like the noise I have in my Legacy Turbo -92.

When the engine is cold and the car has been sitting for a couple of days I get a grinding noise until the car has warmed up (usualy 2 km of driving).
The noise started coming this spring and seems to be related to the clutch somehow, since the noise is louder when the clutch is fully released.

I first thougt that the release bearing was giving up, so I took the car to a garage and changed the entire clutch, but the noise is still there.

Since the noise disapears when the car is warm i can't take it to a mechanic and let him listen to it, by the time I get there the noise would be gone.
For now I'm just going to drive the car and see if it gets worse and easier to locate.

/Tomas
SubbyRS
In Neutral

Post by SubbyRS »

anyone resolve this? i have the same problem after replacing my clutch (didn't do it before!) although it's accompanied by a (sometimes) sticking pedal......I reckon the rattling & sticking are the clutch fork & hopefully it only needs lubricating......
Any thoughts before I start tearing the water/air intercooler off for better access??
1991 Legacy RS. VOSchip. 154.6kW ATW @ 1bar boost
SubbyRS
In Neutral

Post by SubbyRS »

UPDATE - fixed.....finally pulled finger & removed the intercooler (what a bitch of a job!), sussed out that the slave cylinder was dodgy....replaced with new & all is good!!!
Still have a slight shudder when cold but apart from that, smooth shifting....
1991 Legacy RS. VOSchip. 154.6kW ATW @ 1bar boost