More performance

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

More performance

Post by THAWA »

I'm just curious, not really planning to do any of this stuff, but what can be done to improve performance on an NA ej22 short of forced induction? The only things I can think of would be exhaust, cams, piston and headwork. What else can be done?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Swap a Turbo engine in...

But seriously...

Exhaust work, stroke it, slightly more aggressive cam, some head work, some valve work, larger injectors, large throttle body, more compression, and some fuel control.

The more air and fuel that can get into the engine, the more power that can be produced. That's the whole point behind forced induction. Increase air going into the engine (thusly increasing fuel), and more power is produced.

I've seen some wicked N/A beasts. I had a friend with a quad throttle (one throttle body per cylinder) Nissan. I think he crashed it and drives an SR20DET S13 now.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

- Custom engine management
- Lightened and/or underdrive pulleys
- Capacitive discharge ignition
- Lightened flywheel
- Cold air intake
- Synthetic lubricant
- Parallel fuel rail
- High-performance spark plug wires

Then there are things good for the chassis:
- Weight reduction
- Performance tires
- Suspension and brakes stuff
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

would the fuel mod really help that much ? It seems like a lot of work if it's barely an improvement.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It won't help much. In fact, it might be completely unnoticeable. :)

Bang-for-buck, nothing can come close to nitrous oxide injection, supercharging, or turbocharging.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

word. ah well.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

When you can draw enough air to make use of the extra fuel, then you'll notice the difference.

Again, that's how turbo's, SC's, and NNNNAAAAWWWZZZZ all work. More air in the combustion chamber + more fuel = more power.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Sean @ Rallitek claimed to have lost almost 400lbs out of a turbo leg.

ofcorse ALL that was left were the two front seats, and the dash. :lol:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

custom individual throttle body setup would be nice with cold-airboxes over them... Maybe with variable inlet length, too. Stronger valvetrain, and closed deck block for high rpm stability. If you could somehow get the variable valve timing feature the JDM turbos have with optimized N/A cams that would also be a big plus. Tuning everything would pretty much have to be done from scratch, I'd guess.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

rallitektech wrote:Sean @ Rallitek claimed to have lost almost 400lbs out of a turbo leg.

ofcorse ALL that was left were the two front seats, and the dash. :lol:
One of my friends took out his interior in his 95 Taurus SHO for the track.

No rear seats, radio removed, all kinds of things taken out. But, to retain the "passenger car" facia, he bolted a lawn chair in the passenger spot for his runs. More of a joke than anything else.

STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Cold air induction
2.5" headers back exhaust
Lightweight Pullys OR Flywheel (never both)
Fuel management (Apex'i SAFC)
Bigger injectors
Walboro Fuel Pump
ZEX Dry Shot
Crank from a EJ25 Phase 1

Then you can be setup like me. 8) (minus injectors)
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
G-reg
Second Gear

Post by G-reg »

Why not both an underdrive and a flywheel?
Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

evolutionmovement wrote:custom individual throttle body setup would be nice with cold-airboxes over them... Maybe with variable inlet length, too. Stronger valvetrain, and closed deck block for high rpm stability. If you could somehow get the variable valve timing feature the JDM turbos have with optimized N/A cams that would also be a big plus. Tuning everything would pretty much have to be done from scratch, I'd guess.

Steve
Actually, in Japan they have NA EJ20's and EJ25's that both have AVCS. IIRC the NA EJ20 makes close to 200hp. But as has been mentioned, bang for the buck, building an NA Subaru engine, or any NA engine for that matter, doesn't pay off. IT has to be a labor of love. MY EJ25 build in my 2.5RS (contrary to some judgemental people's assumptions, the RS does not get the EJ22 once it is built :evil: ) is running close to $10,000 :!: That included heads and totally reworking the bottom end and engine management, and the ITB's that have been mentioned above. When it is all done, I will ONLY have 240-250 CHP.
Sure, you can do it cheaper if you are doing it yourself. My Cobb heads are running $3000. If you can PnP yourself, you can save a bundle. But cams for the EJ22 are pretty much non-existent. You will be getting a custom grind if you want a set, which make them pricy. And valvetrain will be around $800 in parts as well.

A ghetto swap with and EJ22T conversion or an EJ20G from a JDM RS is the quickest and easiest route to power in the 200's. (other than NOS, but try using NOS on the twisty roads of the Sierra Foothills. :?: It is only good for straight line performance is bursts). Even with the increase in prices because of increased demand recently, you can still do an engine swap into our cars for $1000-1500. Heads alone will cost you that.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

weight loss

Post by greg donovan »

pull out all the crap in the trunk as well as back seat. give it a bit more toe out in rear. and pull off the rear panel on the decklid. its not pretty w/out it but all must be sacrificed in the search for weight loss. and it will turn in nicely. i also freed up the exhaust w/a 2.5" cat back w/two resonators in place of mufflers. that got me some nice improvements in throttle response.