Swap WRX IC, Turbo, and Hose combo onto Legacy Sport

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacySport4L
First Gear

Swap WRX IC, Turbo, and Hose combo onto Legacy Sport

Post by LegacySport4L »

I just got a legacy sport yesterday so I haven't done much reading here, but it seems the main issues people have with piping are a result of swapping EITHER the turbo from a wrx OR just the IC over. That way one part is made for the 90 deg. bend and one isn't so they don't match up.

If I put a vf series bolt-on wrx turbo, TurboXS v2 TMIC, and wrx silicon IC hoses on at the same time will everything bolt up? I did a search but didn't find the answer to this.

thanks!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

The turboxs intercooler will NOT fit. Even the OEM wrx intercooler is a tight fit. You might have to bangout the rear firewall. I had one I was playing around with a while back. You MIGHT be able to take off the TB to make the OEM one fit, but I never got around to trying it.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The 90-degree bend issue is on the compressor inlet side, so you'll still have to resolve that.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

will a wrx y-pipe work with a WRX IC and TD05 turbo (it has the 90 degree compessor outlet)?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
warlord
In Neutral

Post by warlord »

you would be better to source a twin turbo manifold as well, then you can put just about what ever turbo you want in there, cause the intake pipe goes under neath.
also you would be better mounting it backward and getting a front mount.

as for turbos I would reccomed a HKS gt40 for up top power or a td05 for standard punch right across the range.

I run a vf18 and a vf19 with the standard twin turbo top mount
1994 Subaru Legacy GT.
2.0 twin turbo, 5mt

13.2 sec quarter
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

LegacyT wrote:will a wrx y-pipe work with a WRX IC and TD05 turbo (it has the 90 degree compessor outlet)?

Mark,
Yes. But I would suggest getting a flexible silicone turbo to intercooler hose to make it work. That stock plastic piece is a b!tch to move around, especially with such little space.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
LegacySport4L
First Gear

Post by LegacySport4L »

OK I brought the car home tonight and took a look so I see the intake problem. How does this setup sound?

wrx intake manifold mounted the other way around
FMIC
wrx bolt-on compatible turbo
wrx intake pipe
wrx airbox
relocate coolant tank

A Subaru master tech told me today that he thought if I used a wrx manifold the runners sit up high enough that the wrx intake pipe can run below the manifold. I'd have to relocate the coolant tank because its in the way. Then I'd use a wrx airbox to mate to the wrx intake pipe. the wrx bolt-on compatible turbo will mate to the uppipe and downpipe. With setup it seems the only issues would be the mounting of the FMIC, piping for it, and the hoses to the intake pipe.

thoughts?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

WRX manifold wont bolt to EJ22T heads.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Even if it did, are the (normally) driver side runners of the WRX manifold also high up?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacySport4L
First Gear

Post by LegacySport4L »

ciper wrote:WRX manifold wont bolt to EJ22T heads.
hah...foiled again.
vrg3 wrote:Even if it did, are the (normally) driver side runners of the WRX manifold also high up?
yes

Sounds to me like the bolt-on garret kits for the WRX may be a better option. They're set up so the intake comes from the same area as on the legacy turbos so I wouldn't need to worry about the intake piping or the manifold. I'd flip the legacy turbo manifold around and use an FMIC. The only issue would be the piping from the turbo to the fmic and to the throttle body.

Has anyone done this?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Another way you could get higher-up manifold runners could be to use thick spacers between the manifold and heads. Maybe get some aluminum spacers made the same shape as the manifold gaskets but a centimeter or two thick and then use two sets of manifold gaskets and longer manifold bolts.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Hood clearance? The throttle body facing the normal direction is already pretty close!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hmm, good point. Hood bubble maybe?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could have a stock manifold modified by having someone cut the center, angle it down, and patch in the new holes. No idea what it would cost. Alternator would need to be moved to A/C location.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Wasn't one of the Rallitek guys working on switching the stock manifold to face forward? Maybe contact them and see where theya re at on the project. No point in doing this all over if they have already figured out what works...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!